AKG K501 love...
Feb 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #827 of 1,177
It is the said that pads for the 701 (and I assume the 702 since, as I understand it, they're the same pads) improve the sonics, including the bass, of the 501 noticeably. I cannot attest to that myself.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #828 of 1,177
Quote:
Any difference in sound between the two?

no replicable differences ... they look and feel as the same too.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #832 of 1,177
Quote:

Slightly more bass and weight. A little smoother mids. I prefer them through MF X-Can V3. The sound through Matrix M-Stage is a little warmer.

Do you have possibility to test the combination?

Not really but my pads smell smoke ( first owner was a smoker ) and I began to consider buying new one. if K701 pads would be an improvment I could consider buying these ? they're much pricey so I would want to know if it worthes the extra price.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #833 of 1,177
Not really but my pads smell smoke ( first owner was a smoker ) and I began to consider buying new one. if K701 pads would be an improvment I could consider buying these ? they're much pricey so I would want to know if it worthes the extra price.
I see. The safest bet of course would be to buy k501 pads if you already like the sound. K701 pads make k501 sound a bit more bassy but also a little less airy. So it is a trade off really.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #834 of 1,177
fwiw I have used k501 with k701 pads for a couple of days now and I prefer it to my hd650 and k701 headphones. The soundstage is larger than hd650 and the sound is livlier and more natural. I listen a lot to acoustic music (classical and jazz) and k501 with k701 pads is as beautiful as a woman's touch (as someone else put it on another forum). The bass is nice and extended without overpronounced mid bass as in hd650. The overall sound is lush and very exciting but never fatiguing or harsh. Very detailed and with nice soundstage and imaging, more transparent than with original pads. This is through my MF x-can and matrix amplifiers (no big difference there).

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #836 of 1,177
Quote:

If I buy'd the K501, I dont know more about the pre-owner, so I buy'd new pads too.

Now Jeton Classic Reference (JET 60 802) runs with K501, I am very pleased!

The sound of the K501 remember me more than all other AKG's to the K1000 - this I had only for few moth to test and I must give them back.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Various-Artists-Classic-Reference/hnum/4530466

I own some other Jeton Samplers too:
https://www.jpc.de/s/jeton?isssl=1&pd_sampler=Jazz%20Sampler

Jeton-Reference-Highlights-Vol-1-Ltd-Edition  JET 89 112
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/jazz/detail/-/art/Jeton-Reference-Highlights-Vol-1-Ltd-Edition/hnum/1852446

Jeton-Reference-Highlights-Vol-2-Ltd-Edition JET 89 113
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/jazz/detail/-/art/Jeton-Reference-Highlights-Vol-2-Ltd-Edition/hnum/1852455

On this both very interested: Chris Barber, Charly Antolini, Ray Brown, Wolfhound, etc.

I own two old Jeton CD's too "Jeton Reference 113/10 CD" (Sanyo) and "Jeton Ichu CD 121/1"

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #837 of 1,177
Quote:
fwiw I have used k501 with k701 pads for a couple of days now and I prefer it to my hd650 and k701 headphones. The soundstage is larger than hd650 and the sound is livlier and more natural. I listen a lot to acoustic music (classical and jazz) and k501 with k701 pads is as beautiful as a woman's touch (as someone else put it on another forum). The bass is nice and extended without overpronounced mid bass as in hd650. The overall sound is lush and very exciting but never fatiguing or harsh. Very detailed and with nice soundstage and imaging, more transparent than with original pads. This is through my MF x-can and matrix amplifiers (no big difference there).

Interesting. I've been using k601 pads on my 501's for a few years now and, while better than the stock ones, I've always thought if they had a bit more bass response I'd never look at another headphone. I've been meaning to try k701 pads but never gotten round to it, guess now's the time
k701smile.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #838 of 1,177
Quote:

Are the pads easy to swap?  Any tips on how?

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #839 of 1,177
Quote:
Are the pads easy to swap?  Any tips on how?

They're incredibly easy to swap, the picture below should help. The four lugs on the phone sit in the cutouts on the pads and you twist the pads to lock them in place. To remove them you hold the cup with one hand and twist the pad with the other. I wish some other manufacturers used a system as simple as this, and as all the K/Q 701/2 use the same mechanism it's easy to pad roll.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back