AKG K501 love...
Feb 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #797 of 1,177
Quote:
Another Side of Bob Dylan, which is too harsh for me to listen to.
frown.gif

That album is one of the few that make my, otherwise laid-back, HD650 to completely freak out
etysmile.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #801 of 1,177
Quote:
Yeah, but now the discussion is about the second-hand price of the K501 and I believe most people here are relating to other headphones' manufacturer-suggested prices as an indication of worth. Otherwise it would be impossible to discuss prices or have them in our calculations at all.

This route was already covered: $150 for a fresh, new K 501 while they were around. Can hardly be celebrated as a bargain to have paid more for a used set now.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #802 of 1,177
Quote:

This route was already covered: $150 for a fresh, new K 501 while they were around. Can hardly be celebrated as a bargain to have paid more for a used set now.

The lowest price in Sweden for k501 was 280 dollars (1850 kronor) in year 2006 when k701 was introduced and k501 was phasing out. I know nothing about the USA pricing but I can assure you that they never cost $150 dollars (990 swedish kronor) here in Sweden. It is true that they may be overpriced as used (at $200+) but i think that this discussion has become kind of nit-picking. I don't even think that this kind of discussion really is appropriate on a forum like this where many people are paying lots for almost nothing (fancy cables for instance) and buying and selling hardware and losing lots of money almost daily. We can discuss this ad absurdum. I honestly don't think that K501, a great sounding headphone in mint condition, is overpriced at $150 dollars and that is my opinion. I paid almost as much for an unused pair and you can call me crazy. Maybe you can get more for less but hey, that's the way it is, I have my ears you have yours, I have my wallet you have yours.
wink.gif
It is not even debatable. From my point of view it is nuts to pay $1000 for headphones like many people here do, no matter how big improvement they are compared to k501 or HD650 which I have, but that's me
cool.gif
. When I buy headphones I plan to keep them for a long time. I have had my HD650 for 7 years now and I don't have any plans to sell them. Our behavior is not always as rational as we'd like to believe. That topic is for a philosophy forum though, not for hi-fi. This should be a K501 appreciation thread.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #804 of 1,177
The K 501 was being sold for $100 at clearance in 2006 (check it out). I bought mine for 150 euro around that time.
Not interested in going into nit-picking as I already said. Clearence price is something else. $100 clearence was not in Sweden. And it still doesn't tell us anything about the particular headphone's value. 150 euro is 200 dollars. So which price is the real value? $100 or the one you paid, $200? 200 was not a great bargain when the clearence price was only 100 bucks.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #806 of 1,177
I think the price is abnormally high sometimes due to rarity and not so much how good they sound. I don't remember how much I paid, but I know it was quite a lot more than they originally retailed for.
I don't have an Ebay account and it took me a year to find one on here. The pair I had was in mint condition with a box and extra pads.

What's sad is that K400 I only paid $90 for and it's not really any worse. Just different.

The K501 had really smooth mids to me. It sounded much more balanced than my K702. I got the K400 and it had really shouty mids, but I think that was due to the DAC I had at the time (HRT MSII).

Apparently there are 3 different sounding versions of the K501. I think I had version 1 that was considered bass light.

$300 is a bit high, but if someone was obsessed with classical music and had a lot of spare money it's not such a big deal.

I hate the words "technically better" to describe headphone differences. I only care about what sounds best to my ears. If I wanted a headphone that's just technically good I would have stopped at the DT-880.

Here's some graphs for the K501:

http://en.goldenears.net/6927

Oh and if you're bored, this is the K601:

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=k601&document_srl=8449

Users who are viewing this thread

Back