AKG K501 love...
Oct 26, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #196 of 1,177
Well I blew my Grado's a while back as a result of an unexpected dc surge from a misbehaving BUF634 and have been on the fence for some time. I had actually decided on the K271's until I googled AKG and discovered the K501's @ $99??!! I left it thinking that I would investigate these cans more closely and while reading this thread this evening, I placed my order - post #145 ( I can't say it was all you VR6ofpain ) but your indecision and final purchase sure did drive a point home
580smile.gif
I used to own the HD580-xcan set up and although always enjoyed them, never got particularly excited about them. I also have a real good reason to get decent headphones now - I recently built 2 amps, the SOHA which is creating quite a buzz on Headwize and the Cavalli-Kumisa III which really should be making a stir as it is the better amp by far. Just wanted to thank all of you K501 luvers for making this such an easy (and enjoyable) decision for me - the fact that it was less than a $100 was a pleasant bonus too..dB

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #199 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid
I recieved my 501s tonight, so far so good. For starters I played Styx, Elton John, Sade, Bonnie Raitt and Stevie Ray Vaughn. I hear some say these are not rock hps but I would have to disagree, at least with classic rock in mind, I believe they performed quite well with the selections I have tried them with. Elton and Sade really faired great, crisp clear and detailted. About the bass, it seems to me they do not suffer from a lack of its just they have bass quailty not quanity. These hps remind me a lot of my 325s but just a more polite version.

I have to mention the comfort on these phones. Man are these darn things comfortable. I could easily forget they were on my head.

For the money it seems to me these would be one hard act to follow. Great headphones at a fantastic price.

Totally! Stevie Ray Vaughan is great through these things. I always felt that my K601's lack just a little punch for his music (though they still sounded overall better than the HF-1, even with its incredible punch). The K501's on the other hand have great punch which brings his music back to life. That combined with their less analytical sound sig (call it warmer), make them a great blues/rock can.
These are AKG K#01's, so they are obviously very comfy. The K601 is even better, but the K501 is more than comfy enough.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #200 of 1,177
Dammit, thought I was done with headphones. I couldn't pass this up. I was always curious of what the K501 sounds like, it is out of production, and this deal is incredible. Bought within a couple of hours of hearing about the zZsounds deal.

If it turns out to sound better to me than the K701, I need to stop being so damn lazy and shy and start selling the headphones I don't use. I hope they will be. I am a one-headphone type of guy (only using the K701 currently).

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #201 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Hey VR6ofpain, I expect a comprehensive K501 vs K601 review when they're burned in
biggrin.gif

You know it! So far we are looking at ~48hrs burn in. I am using SRV's Greatest Hits Vol 1 at decent volume as my 'burn in' disc, running through an old Sony Discman in a cabinet with the doors shut. I really like these K501's. To be honest the only real drawback to them in comparison to the K601's is the cheaper feel and less nice pads. Still at half what I paid for the K601, they will be my beater/travel (not portable) cans. I have found that my portable (old iMP-350) drives them more than well enough.

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #202 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5
6) I was about to order Beyer Dt880s but now I'm not so sure...

FWIW I compared my DT880s to these and found the K501s better sounding. They were more open sounding and perhaps surprisingly the K 501s had better detail. For example, listening to vocals you could hear all kinds of subtle variations in the voice, it seemed as if you were right there in front of the singer. Same thing listening to a jazz saxophone, the DT 880s sounded good, but the K 501s let you hear all kinds of subtle detail and variation in the players tone that the DT880s seemed to homogenize together. The K 501s let you hear "into" things more, which really surprised me. The DT 880s are not the new model, so I can't speak for any differences in the sound of the newer 2005 ones.

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #204 of 1,177
hey, i'm interested to hear what amps you guys are using to drive the k501. my dynalo is currently being built and i only have access to my PINT for a few weeks...but if there are any other amps that synergize well with the k501 i might look at picking that up.

i hear that the gilmore-lite/GS-1 mate well with the kx01 series, so my dynalo should be perfect...right?
eek.gif

maybe i should just add to this thread?: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=millett

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #205 of 1,177
I have a pair of K501's sitting in the factory box underneath my bed. I used them for maybe 10 hours and really couldn't get into them (using a HeadRoom Micro). After reading some of these threads I may have to pull them back out and give them a second chance.

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #206 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
i hear that the gilmore-lite/GS-1 mate well with the kx01 series, so my dynalo should be perfect...right?
eek.gif

Right! You're in for a treat.

Battery amps seem to drive them pretty adequately as well. I think your PINT should do fine as an interim amp.

Oct 26, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #207 of 1,177
I wasn't really planning on getting anything else real soon, but the 501s have sparked my interest. I currently have DT250-80s, KSC-75s, and iM616s. I also have some A130s coming at Christmas as I told my sister to get them so she didn't have to think too hard. I listen to a lot of heavy metal, but also other rock, electronic, jazz, and classical. The 501s seem okay for rock, and may give me more reason to listen to my jazz more often. They also seem like they'd be different from what I have, rounding out my collection somewhat. Since they're pretty cheap and discontinued, I'm probably more prone to making a quick decision. A few of questions:

A. Does anyone think the 2006 Bithead will be enough to power these correctly? I should be getting one shortly, but don't have plans for anything else.

B. How much do they leak sound? Most of my listening is in the car or at work, so I might not be able to use these much at work. I really don't need isolation since other people sneak up behind me, but I'd prefer no one hear anything they don't want to.

C. Does my reasoning hold up?

I was going to ask about the comfort, but it seems like they should be very good.

Sorry this isn't "love", but may lead to it...

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #208 of 1,177
Wow, looks like zzounds is getting good business due to this thread. I just ordered mine yesterday, and they shipped today, so I'll be getting them Monday or so. Anyway I wasn't able to sell my E4 (the buyer backed out at the last minute), maybe I should keep them and have headphones for home and for portable...that'll be a big hit to my wallet though.

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #209 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle
I wasn't really planning on getting anything else real soon, but the 501s have sparked my interest. I currently have DT250-80s, KSC-75s, and iM616s. I also have some A130s coming at Christmas as I told my sister to get them so she didn't have to think too hard. I listen to a lot of heavy metal, but also other rock, electronic, jazz, and classical. The 501s seem okay for rock, and may give me more reason to listen to my jazz more often. They also seem like they'd be different from what I have, rounding out my collection somewhat. Since they're pretty cheap and discontinued, I'm probably more prone to making a quick decision. A few of questions:

A. Does anyone think the 2006 Bithead will be enough to power these correctly? I should be getting one shortly, but don't have plans for anything else.

B. How much do they leak sound? Most of my listening is in the car or at work, so I might not be able to use these much at work. I really don't need isolation since other people sneak up behind me, but I'd prefer no one hear anything they don't want to.

C. Does my reasoning hold up?

I was going to ask about the comfort, but it seems like they should be very good.

Sorry this isn't "love", but may lead to it...

Actually, I find 501s much better than "OK" for rock and metal (thanks to their exceptional midrange and good bass punch). For some rock music (the type that benefits from good soundstage in particular) they may very well be better than Grados - Tool's 10000 days, for example, is simply spectacular on these headphones.

2006 Bithead should be OK - I have an older version Bithead (without the gain switch) and it does have some issues with clipping at louder volumes, but the 2006 version should be fine.

They leak like crazy.

These are excellent headphones - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #210 of 1,177
My K501 has been on unattended 24x7 burn-in since Monday and will keep going until this coming Monday (I'm traveling out of town and won't be back until then). Can't wait to hear how they develop after over 168 hours.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back