AKG K501 love...
Oct 13, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #1,051 of 1,177
Hear hear, no one understands why. The K7XX and K712 PRO are supposed to be really good, give them a try sometime if you're interested.
I have yet to listen to the K 501 with a good fit of the headband. So I couldn't say which amp I prefer more to drive them. But between the amps themself, I think the difference is marginal.
The V90 has more power and cleaner background. The iCAN sounds slightly warmer and is supposed to have a larger soundstage, couldn't hear the difference in stage myself though.
Perhaps someone else could elaborate...

Thanks a lot again.   I have a general doubt ... if it is better to invest more in the amp or in the HPs ... from your words i have the feeling that the HPs tend to be the element with the biggest impact on the overall sound.
Kind regards,  gino

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #1,052 of 1,177

Thanks a lot again.   I have a general doubt ... if it is better to invest more in an amp or in a HP ... from your words i have the feeling that the HP tend to be the element most impacting on the overall sound.
The model you mention are quite expensive.  But very nice also.
I think i will stay on the k501 then.
Kind regards,  gino 

The general rule of thought is headphone>amp>source. Although some people (including myself) spend more money on a amp. If you're satisfied with a K501 (who isn't?) then you need to be on the lookout for amplification quantity and quality. 

What source are you using? And how much is your amp budget?

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #1,053 of 1,177
The general rule of thought is headphone>amp>source. Although some people (including myself) spend more money on a amp.
If you're satisfied with a K501 (who isn't?) then you need to be on the lookout for amplification quantity and quality.

Hi and thanks again. Then the k501 are staying !

What source are you using?

Various. Usually a pc with a usb dac connected now to a Schiit Magni 2. 
And how much is your amp budget?  

300 USD  maybe ?   I would have bought the Schiit Asgard amp but i do not like the hot.
I prefer a cold amp.
Thanks again,  gino

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,054 of 1,177

Hi and thanks again. Then the k501 are staying !

Various. Usually a pc with a usb dac connected now to a Schiit Magni 2. 
300 USD  maybe ?   I would have bought the Schiit Asgard amp but i do not like the hot.
I prefer a cold amp.
Thanks again,  gino

You sure? I prefer a bit of warmth to complement the lean low-end.

I have never used or extensively heard neutral amps but something from Burson seems like a good match. It is frequently praised for being mid-centred and adding a wide soundstage i.e. the same qualities as the K 501. With a lively and up-front DAC you're all set I think 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,055 of 1,177
You sure? I prefer a bit of warmth to complement the lean low-end.

Hi !  when i was mentioning the Asgard as an hot amp i meant that it runs hot from what i understand.  I have no info about the sound that should be good. 
I always worry that the high temperature can lead to issues in the long term.  I usually leave the amp on for hours.
This is unfortunate because the price is very interesting considering the very positive reviews. 

I have never used or extensively heard neutral amps but something from Burson seems like a good match. It is frequently praised for being mid-centred and adding a wide soundstage i.e. the same qualities as the K 501. With a lively and up-front DAC you're all set I think 
wink.gif

I will look for them. They should have models at different price levels i guess. 
Good to know that the k501 is a really good piece.  I will try to keep it in good conditions. 
Also because something new and equivalent could be quite expensive.
Thanks a lot again.
Gino 

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,056 of 1,177

Hi !  when i was mentioning the Asgard as an hot amp i meant that it runs hot from what i understand.  I have no info about the sound that should be good. 
I always worry that the high temperature can lead to issues in the long term.  I usually leave the amp on for hours.
This is unfortunate because the price is very interesting considering the very positive reviews. 

I will look for them. They should have models at different price levels i guess. 
Good to know that the k501 is a really good piece.  I will try to keep it in good conditions. 
Also because something new and equivalent could be quite expensive.
Thanks a lot again.
Gino 

The Asgard is a Class A amp, as is the iCAN. That's why it can run hot, nothing to worry about though. From what I've gathered is that the Asgard 1 is supposed to better than V2. Keep in mind that Schiit products always have a lively and up-front sound. Perhaps you like the Asgard/K501 combo but I would always choose Burson over Schiit. 

Just sniff around the For Sale forum to find yourself one. Make sure it is priced in a way that once you want to sell them again, you won't suffer any losses. The Soloist SL will be enough to drive the K501's adequately and is quite the looker!

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #1,058 of 1,177
Out of curiosity, I see you sold the K501 and kept the HE-400. Was that really a move up? I understand the 400i isn't bad, but I thought the HE-400 would pretty much be the opposite of the K501 in every way... :)

Listening to these with a Lehmann BCL in high gain, and they are really nice with classical and jazz.

Separately: Tried out some Beyer 880 Pros in a shop yesterday and while I could hear more acoustic bass (tried an Edger Myer-Chris Thile duet on YouTube), the highs were annoying with pop music. Overall, they also seemed a bit more forward in their presentation. 

The K501 aren't really annoying in the highs with pop music, but they are annoying in the bass with pop music. There's just no/almost impact. However, the sound reminds me of good bookshelf speakers, and often when I want to listen to music that needs a lot of space, there's just no equivalent. 

When I want bass, I go to my Beyer DT150s, which can really rattle my head if necessary. The problem is that pianos, strings, and wind instruments can sound a bit muted and constricted, whereas pop music can at the same time still sound a bit hot in the highs, though much less so than with other Beyers. Male vocals are better with these than with the K501.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,060 of 1,177
Totally, I think my thoughts were a bit scattered there: The K501s have amazing mids, amazing highs that are almost never harsh, unless you have a bad source, but I think while some find the bass "tight" I find it weak for most non-acoustic genres: i.e., anything with computer generated bass and drums. With the right amp, I think most acoustic music still sounds like live un-amped music should.

The bass has some impact in acoustic jazz through my vintage Onkyo amp, and with a Schiit Magni. Unfortunately neither of these are as refined as the Lehmann BCL (which costs many times the price). 

I think a lot of styles of rock can actually work with these, especially acoustic rock or progressive rock where you have a lot going on if you have the right amp, but still, it's not like I would turn first to these cans to listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers, or something.

I'm still looking for the perfect amp for these. Some have mentioned high powered tube amps, as well as the Hifiman amps or the Heed line. I'd be willing to sell my Lehmann BCL if I could find something else that has a lot of power, and is controlled, even, and yet strong in the bass, with very precise timing in the highs and mids. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #1,063 of 1,177
  Mine work great with V200 ans AudioGd M11, but when you seek strong bass, you'll need another headphone IMO..

Lately I often prefer my X2 above the K501.

It takes a while for my brain to adjust to the bass level with the Lehmann BCL. It's there, and it's actually nice quality for many music styles, especially since there is no mid-bass hump that you find with so many cans these days. Do you you the K501 with a balanced cable then? I'm using single-ended and don't really want to go to balanced unless it's a major upgrade (night and day). 

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be into the X2. Given the amp I already have, I'm considering the HD650 with a good cable for more bass as a possible upgrade/alternative. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #1,064 of 1,177
Adele's new album 25 has never sounded so good that I just can't help but turn up the volume. Her voice sounds so immersive along with that massive sound stage and non fatiguing highs. I'm gobsmacked 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back