AKG K501 love...
Aug 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #991 of 1,177
Really glad to hear that people are happy with their K's, love that Harbeth too,I've recently hooked up ny dap to the Meier Active balanced Quickstep as pre amp and winged it to my KT88 amp onto my speakers some non-audiophile Bose 901 vi and it just simply astonished me. I have never heard Bose sound so ****** good, ever!!

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #992 of 1,177
Listening to some Eva Cassidy here. Wow... these are special. The only thing that I'd upgrade here is the detail - many other cans illuminate areas that K501 can't see. Other than that, these are a pair of great sounding headphones indeed. A pleasent case of sin by omission. Lovely sins.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #994 of 1,177
I recently got my hands on a mint condition pair but I'm having an issue with the headband mechanism. 
The elastic string that should supposedly automatically be pulled back to it's original unstretched position when not worn is isn't. 
It remains in the most stretched position unless I manually pull down the slider on both sides which causes excess string as seen in the photo. 
Is there a way I can tighten the string or by making it shorter? 
It's not sure how it got this loose since it's practically like new with high clamping force and with no signs of wear even on the ear pads. Plus the previous own didn't have a large noggin to start of with. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #996 of 1,177
  I recently got my hands on a mint condition pair but I'm having an issue with the headband mechanism. 
The elastic string that should supposedly automatically be pulled back to it's original unstretched position when not worn is isn't. 
It remains in the most stretched position unless I manually pull down the slider on both sides which causes excess string as seen in the photo. 
Is there a way I can tighten the string or by making it shorter? 
It's not sure how it got this loose since it's practically like new with high clamping force and with no signs of wear even on the ear pads. Plus the previous own didn't have a large noggin to start of with. 

You can change the elastic band yourself if you're a little handy, the service manual can be downloaded from AKG. You need to open the cup and losen a few screws and parts.

The elastic band and its plastic holder is also available as  a spare part.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #997 of 1,177

You can change the elastic band yourself if you're a little handy, the service manual can be downloaded from AKG. You need to open the cup and losen a few screws and parts.

The elastic band and its plastic holder is also available as  a spare part.

I couldn't find it on from akg. 
However I know there's a screw beneath the metal logo held on by glue. 
I'm afraid I'll damage if I try removing it. 
I wish akg used the elastic strip found on k301 xtra instead of two flimsy elastic strings. Seriously what were akg thinking. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,000 of 1,177
It's easy to change the elastics. First remove the type sign (plastic sticker), a needle or a thin blade will do. Unscrew the cap and open. Likewise losen the two screws on the elastic holder on the headband.

The part is available as a spare part, but I just change the elastics on my K400, 401, 500 and 501 headphones, using a sharp knife.

Picures below from a K500, but it's basically the same.

Left aged elastic, right new.

Picture shows 10 cm length, I've come to prefer 8 cm.

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,001 of 1,177
  It's easy to change the elastics. First remove the type sign (plastic sticker), a needle or a thin blade will do. Unscrew the cap and open. Likewise losen the two screws on the elastic holder on the headband.

The part is available as a spare part, but I just change the elastics on my K400, 401, 500 and 501 headphones, using a sharp knife.

Picures below from a K500, but it's basically the same.

Left aged elastic, right new.

Picture shows 10 cm length, I've come to prefer 8 cm.

My concern is damaging the sign during removal and not being able to glue it back on afterwards. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back