AKG K501 love...
Apr 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #661 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I did. I didn't say that the K501's mids were bad, but I do feel that they're on the lean side.

To me, the K501 offer a nicely rendered, coherent and well-integrated midrange. However, due to their bass roll-off and corresponding lack of bass "fill" or support, I can understand someone's perception of a lean character to the K501's "unsupported" mids. Also, I've had good success using hybrid amplification (i.e. the "Fitz-Max Bada PH-12 Ultra") with tubes adding a bit more fat, warmth and vivaciousness to the midrange of these truly fine headphones. : )

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #662 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still undecided on my next pair of headphones, but seriously considering the K501. My amp is the Darkvoice 332, would this be a good pairing?

Thanks

While I can't speak for the Darkvoice 332, I have listened to the K501 driven by the 336i and the 337. Neither the 336i nor the 337 paired well with the K501, IMHE. In fact, I ended up selling the 337 because it couldn't drive the K501 satisfactorily.

On the other hand, the hybrid Bada PH-12 sounds very, very good with the K501. I'm also having good success with the [AK]Zip HA-1, Mk.II, of modest solid state design. : )

May 3, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #664 of 1,177
I'm sure it's been said several times in this thread, but these phones are insanely comfortable imo. I'm sure my assessment has something to do with the fact that my other phones are Senn 580s that have a rather strong grip on the head, but even compared to my more comfortable jvc rx700s, I find the 501s to be remarkably comfortable. They just rest on my head so lightly.

I think when I get my dac next week, I'll post a comparison between these two phones as they seem to represent two of the best options in this rather attractive ($150ish used) price range.

May 16, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #665 of 1,177
okay, so I got rid of (or dumped, ditched, call it whatever you want
tongue.gif
) my Sennheiser IE7 in favour of the K501
biggrin.gif

I haven't got the time (yet) to pick up the item though, been busy with college and stuff... so I asked my friend (who sold the K501 to me) to keep it for a while, and I'll pick it up when I have the time (hopefully within a few days)...

can't wait to test the K501 w/ some Beethoven and Mozart...
and maybe a little bit of Yanni and Sarah Brightman too
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #666 of 1,177
Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

Coming from

K-141 Monitor
K-240 Studio
K-240 Monitor

it took my ears about a month to adjust to the bass lightness and the lower treble spike of the K-501. I'm running them from a cheap soundcard and the speaker output on a 23 year old Yamaha speaker amp and boost the bass 5-10 minutes.

I find the K-501 really picky when it comes to recording quality and about 75% of my mp3 collection sounds like crap on them. But for well recorded acoustic jazz, classical and even some electronica/trance I think they are wonderful and makes the K-240 sound like muddy bloated bass monsters in comparison. Got a second used (like never used) pair a few weeks ago just for backup
smily_headphones1.gif

Both my K-501 are the middle version with the baffle shown on the AKG site. One of them has a foam ring on the inside of the pads but I can't tell any difference in sound.

And oh oh they are so beautiful, light and well designed. Sometimes I hold them in my hands for a few minutes and just look at them and feel them. Maybe I'm in love too
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #668 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my K501 back from Apuresound, V3 recabled
biggrin.gif

Boy, did I miss them. I'm going to listen Jazz for the rest of the evening ha!

Good news and bad news there, really
very_evil_smiley.gif

Our musical preferences aside, I suspect that your tastes are better served by the 501 than mine : that said, I enjoy them with everything bar the raunchiest metal in my collection. They are possibly a little too polite for that stuff, but that is where I take a left to Grado City - its all good. AKG made a huge mistake discontinuing these cans.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #669 of 1,177
I have had a month or so to settle into my pair of K501's and have also picked up some Fostex T50RP orthos, which are getting really good as I mod them. I do not have much for an amp right now, but these cans both sound wonderful. Those who say the K501 lacks bass need to hear mine - the low end is gorgeous on them. The T50 orthos are a touch more extended perhaps, but the K501 mids make up for that. The T50s are a bit more rolled off on the high end.

These K501s really excel at their soundstage and integration. That hit home a few weeks ago when I attended a live concert. My feelings on the AKG K601 were that it isolated individual instruments too much and did not integrate them in the soundstage - this concert really cemented that idea.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #670 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by CYoung234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those who say the K501 lacks bass need to hear mine - the low end is gorgeous on them. .

*FInally* - someone else with a 'late production run' pair of 501s. There are numerous theories around this, but I choose to believe that AKG simply experimented with small variations on these cans until they managed to work some bass impact into them. I agree that every existing 501 owner really needs to hear this model : it will blow their minds.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #671 of 1,177
The 501 does very well with classical piano, my recable absolutely makes a difference, more realistic tone, I love it
biggrin.gif

I'm now listening to David Fray Bach concertos, it sounds stunningly real, boy, how I missed that soundstage..

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #672 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*FInally* - someone else with a 'late production run' pair of 501s. There are numerous theories around this, but I choose to believe that AKG simply experimented with small variations on these cans until they managed to work some bass impact into them. I agree that every existing 501 owner really needs to hear this model : it will blow their minds.

Oh, I suppose I should note that I am running these with K601 pads. I have 501, 601 and 701 pads, and to me, the 601 pads really bring out the best in these phones. BTW, my pair is definitely the latest rev K501 as well. I will likely be building a Cavalli EHHA early next year, and I cannot wait to hear these phones on that!

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #674 of 1,177
Quinto,

I know of two sources for these pads - one in the U.S. and the other in the U.K. Here is a post from another thread that I made:

To get pads, you can contact:

Frank Rodriguez
Customer Service Administrator

Note New E-Mail Address:

frank.rodriguez@harman.com

Ph: 818-920-3279
Fax: 818-920-3208

K701 pads were $22.41 each when I ordered them. They shipped the same day I ordered them.

edit: Oops - I just noticed you are in the UK. There was a site in the UK that sells these. Here it is:

CIMPLE Solutions Pro Ltd

I believe this is the URL for the part:

CIMPLE Solutions Pro Ltd > CUSHION

I checked Cimple Solutions site and they stocked K601 pads when I checked. That was a couple of months ago, though. I also do not know if Cimple will ship to the Netherlands or not, but they are a lot closer than California is! Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back