AKG K340 on ebay right now.
Oct 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

mmayer167

500+ Head-Fier
Well i bowed out of the auction at 150, i was keeping it a secret until the price went over my budget. But now i'll let you guys check out the auction if you havent seen it already
smily_headphones1.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170558004891

Good luck if you jump in, there is only 3 hours left.

M

Edit: i am in no relation with the seller by the way, i wouldnt dare do something like that..

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 36
^

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 36
Awww. I was in that auction too.....
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 36
oops, i apologize if i ruined that for any body else here who was keeping it a secret... my bad

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 36
because i didnt think about anybody on head-fi possibly being in the auction... and after i bumped it i realized i might have let the cat out of the bag so to speak, thats all. im not getting any kicks out of this, i was just sincerely shedding light on them in case anybody here was looking for a pair of 340's.

best,
M

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 36
Wow, 400 ohm per channel for these? My Schiit Asgard definitely couldn't power these..oh well.

Too bad I don't even have (or trust) Paypal.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 36

Quote:
Wow, 400 ohm per channel for these? My Schiit Asgard definitely couldn't power these..oh well.

Too bad I don't even have (or trust) Paypal.

Yes, it would power a 400 Ohm headphone.

Where is this misinformation coming from?

Impedance only matters when compared with the output impedance of your amp.  The relationship tells you how well power transfers.

Once you know how well power transfers, you use the output power of the amp, feed it through the impedance relationship, then use what gets through to calculate loudness with the sensitivity of the headphones.

There's more to it, but that's basically how it works.  You want an amplifier with a lower output impedance than the impedance of the headphones and with enough power to drive them.  The Asgaard should be fine with a K-340.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:
because i didnt think about anybody on head-fi possibly being in the auction... and after i bumped it i realized i might have let the cat out of the bag so to speak, thats all. im not getting any kicks out of this, i was just sincerely shedding light on them in case anybody here was looking for a pair of 340's.

best,
M

Ah... no worries.
beerchug.gif

If I didn't know about it I'd be quite happy for the heads up so I can't complain.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 36
Whoever won it, got it at a good price of about USD 200, IMO.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
Where is this misinformation coming from?

Impedance only matters when compared with the output impedance of your amp.  The relationship tells you how well power transfers.

Once you know how well power transfers, you use the output power of the amp, feed it through the impedance relationship, then use what gets through to calculate loudness with the sensitivity of the headphones.

I don't really know where the misinformation or the information comes from, and it would be very nice to have a clear article regarding the impedance, sensitivity and efficiency(and have it on the main page). I saw one similar to that yesterday, but the links were all broken since it was created a few years ago, and I couldn't read the body. I had to search for an hour and ended up on nothing(of course I blame myself too for not finding that given that I can speak three languages, none of the forums had a clear article about it). 

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 36
x3, and agreed someone got a good deal on those!   if you are a head-fier let us know if you won them! We would all like to hear if they were a good pair
biggrin.gif
      I was also wondering if a diy of the 340 schematic would be possible? might be really fun to try! maybe using the t50 driver and a decent dynamic driver in an enclosure similar to that of the thunderpant design.
  I'll post a new thread in the diy section if i get to puting together a design for this franken 340 
smile.gif

M

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 36
I wouldn't pay that much for a used pair because you'll never know what condition they might be in and it may cost a good penny to restore them. It's almost like buying sextetts; can either be hit or miss depending on the condition. Sextetts are not expensive and the parts are cheap so to me they are worth taking a chance on.. On the other hand I would pay that much and more for a restored or even a nos pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back