AKG K340 on ebay right now.
Nov 7, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #31 of 36
Well I guess I definitely have the bass lite version. I just tried a couple of simple mods. I removed the cotton inside the cups. It didn't really do anything. I think that mod is more for the bass heavy versions. One thing that did help a little bit was to replace the cotton with fiber fill. That did give me a tad more bass.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #33 of 36
Yes the pcb is brown. I just a did couple of mods and the results are pleasing to say the least. I put dynomat inside the cups and the reflections I was hearing are gone. Bass is much more refined. The freqencies are much more integrated and seamless. They were still bass lite however. So I put the cotton back in and they are no longer bass lite. They're not bass heavy either. I would say they have just a tad less bass than my hd600s. Just as much slam but not quite the extension. The dynomat isn't a sound dampening material, it's a sound deadening material. So this worked good minimizing the vibrations inside the cups and reduced the reflections. Now I'm going to experiment with different materials to use as a sound dampening. But the cotton along with the dynomat is a pretty good combo.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #34 of 36
nice work.  My only problem aside from the fit of the K340, is there seems to be a bit of a dip somewhere in the upper midrange or lower treble- the treble and mids don't seem totally coherent.  There is an affect that they are seperate from each other a bit and something is missing in between.  It's not horrible, but it's enough to bother me a bit because tonal balance is the thing I care about most with audio.  I don't think it's the cross over, or 2 driver system because I think it's a lower frequency than what the electrostat driver plays- I think the electro only takes care of the upper treble.  I'm not sure though. 

I wonder if there is some mods that could help this.

Otherwise, they are pretty much perfect headphones.  It's amazing how warm and natural the midrange is, while having complete clarity in the treble and at the same time 0 harshness.  Quite a feat- something I think only much more expensive headphones can manage. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #35 of 36
That's one of the problems that I had. And because of this the sound wasn't coherent. I read a reviewer on headfonia noticed the same thing. He thought it was the effect of having two drivers. I'm with you on this one. The dip takes place high enough in the frequency range that this shouldn't be the problem. For me the dynomat helped tremendously. I think the problem lies with the reflections inside the plastic cups.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #36 of 36
Having a pair in such good condition is nice, but I don't feel very good about taking them apart and playing with them.  I'd have to get a different pair to do that unfortunately. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back