AKG K340 on ebay right now.
Oct 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 36
Hi, I won them
smily_headphones1.gif
it was a bit of an impulse buy as I happened to notice them when they had a few minutes left.
I am planning on modding them and recabling them I am also currently looking for an amplifier for them I was planning on building a beta22 as this seemed like a fairly safe option for most headphones but I am now wondering how well this will work with the k340.

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 36
If you hate them and want to jump ship after getting them, i'll take them off your hands for even more then what you paid.
I would have bought them but I don't have paypal. Oh well. I would have bid up to $250 because i'm stupid.

Still want to buy these and the k240 Sextett. BTW I also just bought a pair of k601s! Can't wait to get them. I think they'll be better then the k701 for my preferences.
k701 was a pair I once loved, but disliked them a lot more once I got my HD-600. I think I like my k240 more then my HD-600 now
confused_face(1).gif

Whenever I put on my HD-600 I want to keep putting back on the k240. HD-600 seems a lot more accurate though with some instruments.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 36
congrats jackmccabe!    good luck with them, and be sure to report the condition when you get em
smile.gif

cheers, M

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #20 of 36
I said eariler that I wouldn't have paid that much for them, but apparently I was the next highest bidder.Either that or other bidders have already declined the second chance offer.  I don't know what went wrong with the original sale but the seller didn't have nice things to say about the winning bidder and I'll leave it at that. So in the end I ended up getting them for the max I was willing to pay for them. I just received some k240df's so I'll be comparing the k340 to those as well as the hd600. I'll sell the one that finishes last.

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 36
Wow that makes me nervous. That's not a reason for him to cancel the transaction and sell them to someone else. Looks like he's very impatient. The auction only ended a couple of days ago.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #26 of 36
I wish you guys didn't have so much money lying around. My Paypal account is a bit depleted and I was hoping no head-fiers would notice the 340s and I could snag them for the $50 or $60 I have left in there, LOL.  Do give us a report on them, moodyrn. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #27 of 36

Quote:
I didn't realize they were worth that much.

Don't get my wrong, the k340 is a truly a great headphone, but they'll always be very old.

generally speaking, sound quality and supply is what determines price, not age.  DT48's from the 50's still sell for reasonable sums and there's a lot of old headphones that sell for over 1k around here. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
I said eariler that I wouldn't have paid that much for them, but apparently I was the next highest bidder.Either that or other bidders have already declined the second chance offer.  I don't know what went wrong with the original sale but the seller didn't have nice things to say about the winning bidder and I'll leave it at that. So in the end I ended up getting them for the max I was willing to pay for them. I just received some k240df's so I'll be comparing the k340 to those as well as the hd600. I'll sell the one that finishes last.

I am excited to hear what you think!  There are certainly things the K340 does better than either of those.  Seems like it will come down to which headphone's flaws you can live with and which won't work for you.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #29 of 36
I got them today and they're in much better condition than they appeared in the pics on the listing. When I got them it looked like that they had been sitting up in an attic for years. After giving them a good cleaning they look like they haven't been used much. I will post some pics sometime tomorrow. As for the sound, I'm very surprise at how close they sound to sextetts(late production). They sound like a refined sextett with more extension in the highs. Also they don't sound like closed cans at all. They have a very nice sound stage.They're not as bright as the df's, but actually have more extension. The df's are more neutral sounding(mainly  because of the mids). The mids on these are on the warmer side of neutral like on the sextetts. My only gripe so far is low end extension. They have plenty of impact but don't extend very deep. The treble is one of the best I've ever heard, and it do remind me of my staxs in that regard. I just looked at the drivers and the electret is silver with a silver looking diaphram. The dynamic driver is green. The back of the passive radiators are gray. I haven't done enough research to know if these are the bass lite version or bass heavy. Judging from the sound I would guess bass lite. Overall I like them but don't love them because of the lack of bass extension. They do some things really well and other things not so much. To me they sound like a refined sextett lp. I would rather them sound like a refined mp or lp. But they do sound better than all three. I see why some people love them and why some don't. The treble is so life like and nuanced it's almost startling. But the rest of the frequency range isn't on the same level with the high end. Everything else is good, but the high end is outstanding. So you really don't get a good balance of frequencies. I don't know whether to try some of the mods or just accept them the way they are. I do have a lot more listening to do before I decide.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #30 of 36
Nice.  That's how I feel about them as well.  But mine have plenty of bass- just a bit less than my EP Sextett, which is a good thing, it's just tighter.  Seems to extend plenty low. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back