AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 22, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #3,556 of 4,058
glad the have been repatriated ! any comments as regards comparisons to shure 535 and fi ba ss? 
Unclesam, there is a k3003 on eBay.at for sale, 499€, and it is a complete set

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #3,558 of 4,058
My AKG K3003i has developed an intermittent problem with its in-line remote. The remote randomly acts as if the Play/Pause button has been either pushed or held down, causing the music from my iPod to either pause or the iPod to cause Siri to prompt me for a spoken command.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas as to what to do, or am I relegated to sending it in to AKG/Harman Kardon?

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #3,559 of 4,058
My remote/mic died a year ago. It's the weak link on the 3003i system. I'm a bit luckier; I can still use them as regular IEMs, although lately there seems to be a problem with one of the twfk drivers.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,560 of 4,058
Still loving my K3003's

Just got some Comply TS500's today. A major improvement in isolation and bass response to the T500's I was using previously. Almost overwhelming in the bass dept. I say "almost". Phenominal, visceral, are words that spring to mind.

Really great!

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,561 of 4,058
My AKG K3003i has developed an intermittent problem with its in-line remote. The remote randomly acts as if the Play/Pause button has been either pushed or held down, causing the music from my iPod to either pause or the iPod to cause Siri to prompt me for a spoken command.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas as to what to do, or am I relegated to sending it in to AKG/Harman Kardon?

Harman Kardon indicates that their field repair locations canNOT fix this problem, and that they typically do a warranty replacement.  I fear these are out of warranty (over 2 years old), so I suspect I either have to replace them or live with it.  

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3,562 of 4,058
Anyone know where i  can get replacement tips, i mean the original silicone ones?
I use them with my 3003:s but the medium ones are also. so far the best sounding and most comfortable for my Adel U12 IEM:s so i wanted to get a few pair of extra tips (also since i'm selling my 3003:s i want to include the same number of tips when i sell them).

May 2, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #3,563 of 4,058
Unclesam, there is a k3003 on eBay.at for sale, 499€, and it is a complete set

i also have a brand new K3003i for sale

Here is my sale link

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806882/akg-k3003i

REGARDS NOMAX

May 11, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #3,564 of 4,058
Just rebought these (used) and forgot how amazing they are.  Paired with my Mojo, they sound fantastic.  Better than all my other IEMs except for the Shure KSE1500 (with an external DAC).

Anyone had a chance to pair them with the Resonessence Labs Concero HP?  I love the sound of the Mojo, but sometimes find Chord DACs a little too laid back for my taste.

May 11, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #3,565 of 4,058
  Just rebought these (used) and forgot how amazing they are.  Paired with my Mojo, they sound fantastic.  Better than all my other IEMs except for the Shure KSE1500 (with an external DAC).

Anyone had a chance to pair them with the Resonessence Labs Concero HP?  I love the sound of the Mojo, but sometimes find Chord DACs a little too laid back for my taste.

I'm using the K3003 with Mojo also. Love them too. I think the slightly laid back, or "pure" sound of the Mojo takes the edge off the K3003. I'd love to hear the KSE1500. I do notice a significant hardness comparitively speaking, when listening to the K3' against the T1's both via mojo.

What other IEM's have you got to compare with the K3's? I'd be interested to know. I'd love to get that lush, dynamic, super-detailed "precision" sound that I get from the T1+Mojo with some other IEM's but I fear I'd have to spend a significant amount more!!  Heck, I only paid about 500eur for my T1's and around 750 for the K3's. But when I see them next to each other, the bang-for-the-size, that the K3's give is pretty cool, lol.

May 11, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,566 of 4,058
salla45,

You're definitely on the right track in terms of price/performance.  I tried out a LOT of high end audio gear ( full size and IEM).  For IEMs, I've tried out the JH audio Layla, Roxanne, Noble Audio K10U, Dita the Answer, UERM ( I own these), Shure SE846, Sony XBAZ5, Hifiman RE-400, Shure KSE1500....

So far, the Mojo + K3003 has been my favorite pairing.  Everyone has a different sound signature that they are drawn too and for me, I love clarity and awesome mids ( most of the music I listen to has vocals).

The only thing I've heard in the IEM world that sounds better is the Shure KSE1500 + Ayre QB-9 DSD external DAC.  But with the KSE1500 internal DAC, the Mojo+K3003 is much better to my ears.

I've also tried the PSB M4U 4 with the Mojo and remember it sounded outstanding for it's price point - unfortunately I don't have a pair to directly compare against the K3s.

May 11, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #3,567 of 4,058
  salla45,

You're definitely on the right track in terms of price/performance.  I tried out a LOT of high end audio gear ( full size and IEM).  For IEMs, I've tried out the JH audio Layla, Roxanne, Noble Audio K10U, Dita the Answer, UERM ( I own these), Shure SE846, Sony XBAZ5, Hifiman RE-400, Shure KSE1500....

So far, the Mojo + K3003 has been my favorite pairing.  Everyone has a different sound signature that they are drawn too and for me, I love clarity and awesome mids ( most of the music I listen to has vocals).

The only thing I've heard in the IEM world that sounds better is the Shure KSE1500 + Ayre QB-9 DSD external DAC.  But with the KSE1500 internal DAC, the Mojo+K3003 is much better to my ears.

I've also tried the PSB M4U 4 with the Mojo and remember it sounded outstanding for it's price point - unfortunately I don't have a pair to directly compare against the K3s.

That's surprising, i mean what you said here: "But with the KSE1500 internal DAC, the Mojo+K3003 is much better to my ears." - can you pair the KSE1500 with Mojo?

When I went for the K3's, I seriously considered the SE846's but there were a few factors which ultimately put me off, apparent and significant roll-off at the high-end, chunkier build, seemingly harder to fit than the K3's, and a heft 200franc (am in switzerland) price difference. Mainly it was the HF rolloff which put me off the most; I ain't exactly a spring chicken and certainly most likely haven't got the hf sensitivity that I had when I was 20 :)

Your words have reassured me that I don't need to look further, certainly in the UIEM domain.

Have you tried changing the tips on the K3's? I have gone for Comply's T500's , great sound all round. Much better bass indeed!!

May 12, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #3,568 of 4,058
  salla45,

also, i've been drifting back and forth between the grey and white filters. Been using the greys for a while now. All this K3 talk made me think to re-try the whites. Very pleasing. Much more open and lacking in the hardness i noticed before. Far more in line with the T1 sound now. I had switched back to the greys as for certain albums the whites were really shrill, but i think ill stick with them now and just accept that I'm going to have to avoid those "peaky" albums. Goodness knows I have enough of the good stuff to listen to, lol.

And specifically, the Tips i am using now to great effect are the TS500's

May 12, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #3,569 of 4,058
  That's surprising, i mean what you said here: "But with the KSE1500 internal DAC, the Mojo+K3003 is much better to my ears." - can you pair the KSE1500 with Mojo?

When I went for the K3's, I seriously considered the SE846's but there were a few factors which ultimately put me off, apparent and significant roll-off at the high-end, chunkier build, seemingly harder to fit than the K3's, and a heft 200franc (am in switzerland) price difference. Mainly it was the HF rolloff which put me off the most; I ain't exactly a spring chicken and certainly most likely haven't got the hf sensitivity that I had when I was 20 :)

Your words have reassured me that I don't need to look further, certainly in the UIEM domain.

Have you tried changing the tips on the K3's? I have gone for Comply's T500's , great sound all round. Much better bass indeed!!

Pairing the Mojo with the KSE1500 - I never really thought of that because I have no intention of carrying around both a Mojo and the KSE1500 unit for my mobile set up.  Will definitely try it out and see how it sounds.

The SE846 has amazing bass but is nowhere close to the clarity and fullness of the mids of the K3003 ( with the Mojo).  I've never had a chance to try the SE846 with the Mojo.

Just received the T500 ( no wax filter) last night and the sound is even smoother ( and very comfortable).  I still stand by my statement that K3003 + Mojo is the best mobile sound I've heard so far.

That being said, us head-fiers are always enticed by new tech and love the journey of trying to find something new - there's no such thing as an endgame except for death :).  For me, the Rhapsodio Galaxy is next on the list.  I've read people post that it's the first iem that comes close/exceeds the K3003 is terms of clarity.

What do you mean by "white" and "grey" filters?   My K3003 came with bass/reference/treble filters, but they're all the same color.

May 12, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #3,570 of 4,058

Pairing the Mojo with the KSE1500 - I never really thought of that because I have no intention of carrying around both a Mojo and the KSE1500 unit for my mobile set up.  Will definitely try it out and see how it sounds.

The SE846 has amazing bass but is nowhere close to the clarity and fullness of the mids of the K3003 ( with the Mojo).  I've never had a chance to try the SE846 with the Mojo.

Just received the T500 ( no wax filter) last night and the sound is even smoother ( and very comfortable).  I still stand by my statement that K3003 + Mojo is the best mobile sound I've heard so far.

That being said, us head-fiers are always enticed by new tech and love the journey of trying to find something new - there's no such thing as an endgame except for death :).  For me, the Rhapsodio Galaxy is next on the list.  I've read people post that it's the first iem that comes close/exceeds the K3003 is terms of clarity.

What do you mean by "white" and "grey" filters?   My K3003 came with bass/reference/treble filters, but they're all the same color.

Yeah, give it a whirl, you never know? (KSE+MOJO) 

I used the T500's and got on well with them, then a fellow headfier suggested the TS500 which are the round ones. and they just seal even better and aren't so long, so more of the precision is retained. I get better bass even than with the T500's :) - why the K3's come with such crappy stock tips I can't fathom; it really could put a lot of punters off to begin with!

The "treble" filters are the white ones. Referring to the colour of the seal: grey and black (bass) shown here...

I was using the greys (standard) as mentioned in previous message, but the whites (treble) are phenominal. If you like an incisive sound that is. It was like a new set of IEMs this morning. I'd completely forgotten how good they could make the K3's sound. 

I'm just happy with what I have for now! Just checked and the K3's are still selling for 899 chf here in switzerland, actually 100chf MORE than i paid last year for them. And out since, when ? 2011? Thats a very long shelf life for any product. Just shows that the best doesn't necessarily need to be replaced every year.

Happy listening!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back