AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jan 12, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3,541 of 4,058
I have now tried both Comply and SpintFit tips with the K3003i.  With the Comply tips (medium)(both Sport and Isolation) overall transparency is reduced compared to the stock tips.  However, the Comply tips are much more comfortable than the stock tips and the Sport tips really stay in place well.  The SpinFit tips (medium) compared to the stock tips (medium or large) reduce transparency slightly and also increase bass a little probably because they seal better and can be inserted further however the tips are very comfortable and also stay in place rather well.  Because I only rate the stock tips average at best for comfort and because I have a difficult time with either the medium or large stock tips staying in place (I've tried the small and they are too small) I've opted to go with the SpinFit medium tips at this time.  Right now I'm deciding between the SpinFit medium tips with the reference filters and the SpinFit medium tips with the treble filters.  Without extensive listening I think the SpinFit tips with the treble filters probably are closest in signature to the stock tips with the reference filters (maybe a little more forward though) so I haven't come to a final conclusion as to which filter to use with the medium SpinFit tips.  Just my two cents worth.  If anyone else has any good thirty party K3003i tip recommendations please let me know I would be glad to explore those too.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #3,542 of 4,058
While I also use the SpinFit filters, I found it necessary to cut a small washer (about 1/16" thick) from the stem of one of my unused tips and install it as a spacer on the neck of the K3K as the neck is long enough to inhibit the free rotation of the Spinfit tip if it is pushed all the way on. With the spacer in place, I now have free rotation of the "Spin" part of the tip and the fit is much more comfortable and secure.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #3,543 of 4,058
While I also use the SpinFit filters, I found it necessary to cut a small washer (about 1/16" thick) from the stem of one of my unused tips and install it as a spacer on the neck of the K3K as the neck is long enough to inhibit the free rotation of the Spinfit tip if it is pushed all the way on. With the spacer in place, I now have free rotation of the "Spin" part of the tip and the fit is much more comfortable and secure.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I may have to give that a try so the tip can rotate properly.  After purchasing the SpinFit tips I contacted CTC Audio where I purchased the tips and asked if the tips should be pushed all the way on as I had the same concern about inhibiting rotation.  They replied:
Hey Zeddun

Thanks for your message and purchase!

To tell you the truth, we don't have experience with all earphone models out there.

But from my own personal experience, you should push them down as far as possible (like stock tips) so that you get:

1) both left and right are sure to be even

2) the best seal possible.

I believe that the #1 benefit of trying out new tips is to limit as much sound leakage as possible. Rather than some new innovative design like the Spinfits.

So if they are only inserted a bit, they may be loose around your iem's housing.
Which may produce worst results even if the tips have more range of motion to rotate.

But adding the extra washer certainly makes sense! 

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #3,544 of 4,058
  The SpinFit tips (medium) compared to the stock tips (medium or large) reduce transparency slightly and also increase bass a little probably because they seal better and can be inserted further however the tips are very comfortable and also stay in place rather well.

Actually, SpinFit tips on the K3003 don't increase bass, but decrease treble due to a phenomenon called the "reverse horn effect" (... because their bore size is narrower than the nozzle, and their constriction at the joint is narrower still). However, since we hear tonal balance as relative presence of bass vs. mids vs. treble, it might give us the impression that bass has been increased.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #3,545 of 4,058
Actually, SpinFit tips on the K3003 don't increase bass, but decrease treble due to a phenomenon called the "reverse horn effect" (... because their bore size is narrower than the nozzle, and their constriction at the joint is narrower still). However, since we hear tonal balance as relative presence of bass vs. mids vs. treble, it might give us the impression that bass has been increased.

Thanks so much for the insights! I may use the treble filter with the SpinFits then.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #3,546 of 4,058
Again I appreciate all the insights regarding tip and filter pairings for K3003i.  After listening, I've concluded that my favorite pairings are either A) Medium SpinFit tips with the treble filter, or B) Large stock tips with reference filter.  For now I'm sticking with A because the SpinFit tips are more comfortable for longer listening, stay in place pretty well, and isolate better than the stock tips.  If any other members have tip/filter pairing suggestions always open to trying other combos too.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #3,547 of 4,058
I have been around for a high end iem lately and was seriously considering k3 - i am not an audiophile but enjoy music and sound plenty.

i am coming from ultrasone iq pro recently (still burning in?!...), which i find interesting due to the equivocal pro purchase reviews, just to find out that some were true (mostly negative or rather idiosyncratic ones) but with gradual acceptance of the new sound which became quite addictive due to the vividity of it,with big (wide) soundstage and not the so called 'mediocre' or sibilant mids - rather their strong point for me. I had enjoyed before that, enormously, and still do, my beloved fad h viii so much that when I was considering an upgrade or sidegrade I was thinking of h vii or akg k3. I am also happily married for a while now with my cute 535 but infidelity always kicks in eventually.

I have been torn between doing nothing or grabing k3, 846 or the immaculate PF VIII - any views?...started off as a basshead but evolved into a balanced sound listener albeit not a trebly one but one who is enjoying discrete, tight bass when called for. The phone choices are restricted by accessibility to them as well. Currently enjoying melodeath, nwobhm and but also classic rock, indie music and the occasional folk and classical or polyphonic rennaissance choirs.

cheers

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,548 of 4,058
I have been around for a high end iem lately and was seriously considering k3 - i am not an audiophile but enjoy music and sound plenty.

i am coming from ultrasone iq pro recently (still burning in?!...), which i find interesting due to the equivocal pro purchase reviews, just to find out that some were true (mostly negative or rather idiosyncratic ones) but with gradual acceptance of the new sound which became quite addictive due to the vividity of it,with big (wide) soundstage and not the so called 'mediocre' or sibilant mids - rather their strong point for me. I had enjoyed before that, enormously, and still do, my beloved fad h viii so much that when I was considering an upgrade or sidegrade I was thinking of h vii or akg k3. I am also happily married for a while now with my cute 535 but infidelity always kicks in eventually.

I have been torn between doing nothing or grabing k3, 846 or the immaculate PF VIII - any views?...started off as a basshead but evolved into a balanced sound listener albeit not a trebly one but one who is enjoying discrete, tight bass when called for. The phone choices are restricted by accessibility to them as well. Currently enjoying melodeath, nwobhm and but also classic rock, indie music and the occasional folk and classical or polyphonic rennaissance choirs.

cheers

Please see my comparison between K3 and 846 here

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #3,549 of 4,058
thanks doraymon for the comparison link!

...by the way is proedros still around in mighty athens as  i do, considering selling his k3? I might be interested in purchasing

guess I have to find out how to pm him...

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,550 of 4,058
  thanks doraymon for the comparison link!

...by the way is proedros still around in mighty athens as  i do, considering selling his k3? I might be interested in purchasing

guess I have to find out how to pm him...

i sold them 10 days ago 
rolleyes.gif

if you had pm me earlier , you could at least have auditioned them before sending them to their new owner

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,552 of 4,058
  ...guess he is a few 100 or 1000 miles away! good for him/her...

so you reckon there's no possibility for trying them out somewhere in the city? you might know more than I do as a supremus

pm me , so we don't **** this thread up 
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #3,554 of 4,058
i sold them 10 days ago :rolleyes:

if you had pm me earlier , you could at least have auditioned them before sending them to their new owner
Yes, and I bought them and joined the k3k club. Very happy with them, use Spinfits and bass filter-just my preferred sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back