AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Dec 28, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #1,951 of 4,058
Thanks for your impressions.

Everything sounds good except for the bass part. By 'variance in quantity' you mean uneven response?

The bass is very interesting- it has the ability to be extremely gentle, yet also extremely hard hitting. That's probably why on the Noble thread for a while there was a lot of discussion whether the K10 was, in fact, bass shy or bassy. I remember one guy eventually got his K10 and said, "it has bass when the song calls for it, and doesn't have bass when it doesn't". I'm not sure I agree entirely with that, but I understand what he's trying to say.

Suffice to say I don't consider its bass lacking. In fact, it can be quite the bass monster- on some songs.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,952 of 4,058
It won't satisfy you. Sorry.

The bass is deep and well extended and very controlled. Hits hard and fast, rumbles and then recedes very quickly. It's super high quality neutral bass that compliments the rest of the spectrum. It's not the star of the show by any means. Like everything else the K3003 does, it's just so right sounding. I'm sitting at a cafe doing some work today, spent a few hours listening to the IE800 and SE846 and now I've switched to the K3003 going through the same tracks and like aways the K3003 is making the other two sound like incompetent fart cannons. How am I gonna resist not selling both for the new Layla? :evil:  

yeah thought as much but didn't want to break the bad news to him without hearing the bass boost filters first.

guess i'm out of touch but what's the layla, k10 and angie btw?

edit: forget it - just did a search and found them

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,953 of 4,058
anyone ran into problems with the cable yet?... i am kind of fearing that if i buy them, i might have problems with the cable, as i tend to abuse the cable of my IEMS a lot. like, it get entangled with my backpack, or i stay in high humidity areas, or it gets entangled in my pocket with my player...

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,954 of 4,058
I have problems with the cable. The remote and mic are not working anymore. Fortunately the phones are still working although sometimes I hear crackles when I wear them outside.

At some point, maybe sooner rather than later, I should change the plug.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,956 of 4,058
I suspect the problem is not at the actual remote, but at the plug. An angled one would have been a better option.

Replacing the cable is really problematic and I'm also interested if anyone besides AKG had any success in doing that.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #1,957 of 4,058
If you're gonna spend a grand on an earphone, why in the world would you abuse it :l

Just get a pair of Rockets if you're not gonna take care of your stuff

+1 

If I'm looking for straight "Neutral" that can have the bass EQ'd for $2500 - there are a lot of ways to skin that cat - I'd dip into full-size cans.

"But they're portable!"

At the subway station, neutral is overrated.

The Warren/Mike one two combo has me pretty leery if I'm being honest. Tried a couple of things Warren is cuckoo bananas about and he and I can't possibly hear any more differently. (No offense Warren LOL)

+1

Let's just say that JHA are simply not my cup of tea and the nickname I gave their JH13 back then has proven prophetic. :wink:

Least Beats look socially acceptable on your head lol

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #1,958 of 4,058
i would spend as much as it is needed, but in my everyday life, i would use my iems when travelling, and etc, not when just standing on a chair. i have a job, from where the money for the iem come... so i want the best iem, as i spend about two hours travelling between home and workplace. i don't abuse the iems that much, but they get some wear after being put into pocket, taken out, and etc.

also, if akg does repair the cables, i am interested in how much they charge, and if they can put better cables on the k3003, like full silver?

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,959 of 4,058
I dunno, I have pairs that are designated for use at home, and pairs that I take when I'm out. To be perfectly honest though, when I'm out, or doing some busywork around the house, or working on some project, the phones I use 99% of the time are the Apple EarPods. They sound good enough, they can take whatever beating I throw at them, I got em for free with my phone, and they provide me with awareness of my surroundings. I'd look into just getting an inexpensive back up pair that can take whatever you can throw at them (I recommend the Aurisonics Rockets, which happen to sound incredibly good as well) for those moments before you hit the office. 

And no, I don't think AKG repairs cables. They'll just replace your phones provided they're under warranty. They won't recable them either. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,961 of 4,058
If you're gonna spend a grand on an earphone, why in the world would you abuse it :l

Just get a pair of Rockets if you're not gonna take care of your stuff
The Warren/Mike one two combo has me pretty leery if I'm being honest. Tried a couple of things Warren is cuckoo bananas about and he and I can't possibly hear any more differently. (No offense Warren LOL)
Least Beats look socially acceptable on your head lol

I certainly didn't abuse them, I simply used them as intended, as an iphone headset. But after almost 2 years the inevitable happened.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,962 of 4,058
i don't mean to abuse them, but if they can take some abuse it would be even better. 

in the time i travel, i preffer to have the best audio quality possible, so getting cheaper iems for travel is out of my mind. i would rather get two pairs of k3003, and accept that the one that is used more will die faster 
biggrin.gif

i have only one thing that really stops me from buying... how bad is the treble roll-off?.

EDIT:: if it will come to it, i might buy k3003, and another universal top iem, but i know that i will end up using only one of them, because i will forever love the better sounding one. even if i would get k3003 and ie800, i heared that ie800 has pretty bad problems with the wire noise...

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,963 of 4,058
I don't have the best hearing but I was able to detect extension up to around 16 khz. I don't think treble extension will be much of an issue there

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,965 of 4,058
i read somewhere, and on golden ears the graphs looked like they had a treble roll-off. this is why i asked. these iems are my main bid, because they seem to be the best at sounding just right in every way, and having lots of treble.. i need something with enough treble...

as far as the tips go, are the tips from sennheiser ie8/ie80 compatible?.. this is what i am upgrading from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back