AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #811 of 1,152
Quote:
Who is..they? 
blink.gif

Amazon.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #812 of 1,152
I got Shure SRH-750 pads for the AKG K167. Massive, massive improvements. Literally night and day. Good gravy. I'll write about it further when I'm not going to fanboy it up.

I can't believe how badly the stock pads were bottlenecking these.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #813 of 1,152
Quote:
I got Shure SRH-750 pads for the AKG K167. Massive, massive improvements. Literally night and day. Good gravy. I'll write about it further when I'm not going to fanboy it up.

I can't believe how badly the stock pads were bottlenecking these.

Is it possible for you to upload some pictures?
I may buy both the K167 and the earpads depending on you. No pressure
L3000.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #815 of 1,152
Some notes of the changes of the headphone with the new pads (which fit perfectly, surprisingly enough):

+ Bass is a bit more recessed (maybe three or four decibels). I would say that, minus a couple of small peaks in the highs, that these cans are now almost perfectly neutral. I did some frequency sweeps in Audition to test this.

++ Comfort is improved. The fuzzy lining of the inside of the Shure pads really helps with this. If the comfort of the pads before was 6/10, I would say they are at an 8.5 as of right now (brand new), and I've read they need breaking in to soften up.

+++ Detail is improved by a ludicrous amount. Ludicrous. Seriously. Holy cow. I would say that they are even more detailed than my Q701.

+ The headphone arguably looks more attractive with the new pads.

-- Unfortunately, the isolation has taken a moderate hit. I would say it isolates about 60-75% as well as it used to.

++ I think that the width of the soundstage has decreased, but I would say that the sound is much more 3D, and that instrument separation is far improved.

If you're debating on whether or not to get the pads; GET THE PADS. GET THE PADS. This gets thrown around a lot, but I'm not one for hyperbole; it is a blatant night and day difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC750-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B00305H3VG

I did not expect this to happen at all. I was just looking for a little bit better comfort, lol.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #820 of 1,152
Jan 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #822 of 1,152
It's only the truth. As the majority of HF'ers seem to be discontent and generally lackadaisical when it comes to the newly released 267, nevermind the 167. Seeing lots of bad reviews as well as broken swivels. I've never really been a huge tiesto fan. More or less just disliked the type of people who listened/liked him. The headphone is probably marketed towards the people who think he is God's gift to dance music. Akg makes great headphones, I just bought headphones from them today as a matter of fact. Just not the tiesto (67,167,267) line.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #823 of 1,152
I don't really think that this is fair at all, frankly.

As the majority of HF'ers seem to be discontent and generally lackadaisical when it comes to the newly released 267, never mind the 167.

1. The K267 is a fail compared to the K167 because it's a hundred dollars more expensive and arguably inferior to the K167. Of course people aren't going to be happy with that. It's a shame that the K167, which I think outclasses my Q701 (it has a similar sound sig now) after modding with Shure pads, got overlooked because of its overpriced, overinflated big brother,

1. You didn't exactly help with that impression in the first place, by saying it sounded like a child (an analogy that still makes little sense to me despite the fact you attempted to clarify it).

broken swivels

1. Wasn't it only one person who had that problem, who then discovered it was a faulty unit in the first place?

The headphone is probably marketed towards the people who think he is God's gift to dance music.

1. If that was true, they'd have the exact opposite sound signature. Also, Quincy Jones.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #824 of 1,152
Ordered some and tried them today! Very nice sound, nice and flat response. As noted by others on the forum, the bass is definitely not overhyped like some other cans, which makes them a good fit for studio work. But like a few others I'm returning them ASAP. Not due to the sound actually (which was very good), but instead because of the skull crushing clamp. After literally only 5 mins of wearing them I was barely able to move my poor tired jaw :frowning2: (I suffer pretty chronic TMJ issues).

Don't let that put you off though, I'm a pretty special case and am extra sensitive to even the lightest of clamp. If anyone here has TMJ problems, then these phones are not the ones you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back