AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Feb 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #841 of 1,152
Quote:
I personally think that AKG messed up trying to separate the K167 and K267 into different headphones. They should have taken the best attributes of the K167 (compact headband, highly isolating design) and the K267 (removable cable, some (but not all to reduce weight) metal-framed items) and put them together to make one fantastic can.

The bass boost function of the K267 has shown itself to be a complete waste of time; in fact, it seems to be a detriment as it reduces the overall isloation of the headphone, and feels cheap to boot.

So is the K267 actually the same sound as the K167 but with just slightly better build quality?

Do they use the same drivers?

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #843 of 1,152
Supposedly the K267 sounds almost exactly like the K167, except with slightly more forward mids (which I don't think is a problem in the first place with my Shure-padded K167). Certainly not worth an extra $100-125.

I would also like to mention that the stock pads for both headphones are bloody awful. Just a thin strip of foam. If you're buying either can, get the Shure SRH-750DJ pads for them. It makes the headphones more comfy, drastically improves the sound, and makes the headphone more attractive to boot. You lose some isolation, though.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #845 of 1,152
New pads arrive Tuesday, hoping I have the same experience as you. The hit on isolation might be tricky because I mainly use the 167 for listening in public.

You'll only notice it if you're somewhere where there's a lot of noise, like a bus. For anything up to the loudest of situations, it's fine.

I'm looking into ways to increase the isolation on the pads.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #846 of 1,152
Quote:
Is miow somehow connected to the headphone industry or something? Or maybe he just like hyping up headphones he purchaes for his own gratification?

He seems to get a new pair of headphones, hype the absolute s*** out of them, say THESE ARE THE BEST EVER x500 posts... Then after a week or two he will proceed to sell the headphones and get something else even though he just spend 500 posts saying how they are the best headphones he has ever tried etc etc.

I guess he's just that kind of guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWM2FhA62b8

Remember Parker, Phoebe's boyfriend.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #850 of 1,152
Quote:
The K167 is easily small enough to wear under a hood; I don't think the same is true of the K267.

I guess it depends on the size of your hood 
tongue.gif
.  I really wouldn't say the K267's are that big. Bulky when worn around the neck, sure, but the cups themselves are pretty flat and relatively small compared to other cans. In any case, the K267's are definitely smaller than the K550's, and I presume the K167's are a good bit smaller than those, so yeah...

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #851 of 1,152
Quote:
I guess it depends on the size of your hood 
tongue.gif
.  I really wouldn't say the K267's are that big. Bulky when worn around the neck, sure, but the cups themselves are pretty flat and relatively small compared to other cans. In any case, the K267's are definitely smaller than the K550's, and I presume the K167's are a good bit smaller than those, so yeah...

So the Shure pads will make them sound better in which aspects?

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #852 of 1,152
Quote:

So the Shure pads will make them sound better in which aspects?

massive boost in clarity
+ more lifelike, "3D" soundstaging
+ improved comfort (2-3 hours of fully comfortable wear)

- less (~70% remaining) isolation
- less bass (maybe a bit less than neutral)
- slightly smaller soundstage

Basically, the Shure pads make the K167 an extremely detailed can (and without being harsh or sibilant at all, somehow). I would say that these cans now have more detail than the Q701 while still having more bass.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #853 of 1,152
I see and that is interesting, but I prefer more bass and isolation, so maybe I stick with the stock pads if I buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back