AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #796 of 1,152
I will say I think the 167 have great bass. Maybe not a basshead can, where the bass distorts the music or roll into other instruments, but its as tight and controlled as any bass I have heard. Its exactly where it should be. Maybe its my use with the e11, but on high gain and bass boost on 1, its freakin awesome, imo.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #797 of 1,152
I think the negativity comes from people expecting enhanced bass like the Denon D*000 or the DT770 (~+5 and ~+7 respectively) and were disappointed to find that the bass is pretty balanced and natural compared to the rest of the sound spectrum.

I feel like these are fairly neutral cans, so the bass isn't going to jump out at you. I think a lot of people were expecting a more DJ-friendly sound and didn't get it.

The bass is fantastic, in my opinion. It just doesn't try to get noticed like an XB500.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #798 of 1,152
Quote:
I think the negativity comes from people expecting enhanced bass like the Denon D*000 or the DT770 (~+5 and ~+7 respectively) and were disappointed to find that the bass is fairly neutral and balanced compared to the rest of the sound spectrum.

I feel like these are fairly neutral cans, so the bass isn't going to jump out at you. I think a lot of people were expecting a more DJ-friendly sound and didn't get it.

This^

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #802 of 1,152
So I've been comparing these a bit more closely with my HD600's just to sort of verify how 'neutral' these were, cause I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off... and basically I found that while the K267 is really nicely balanced, it has a bit more of a 'W' signature than a straight flat one. The most noticeable difference between the K267 and the (remarkably flat) HD600's is in the low mids. There seems to be a dip in the low mids on the K267, followed promptly by a bit of a hump in the upper bass (giving it a nice punch). The upper mids also seem to dip however, as there seems to be some information missing between the [surprisingly upfront] mids and the air/treble on the K267's. It's harder to detect dips than peaks, so it makes sense that it took me a while to put my finger on it, but I'm pretty confident that this is what's going on with their sound signature. Can't wait for someone to do some official Frequency Response readings to confirm.

Now I'm thinking that the K267's actually sound more like 'improved' Amperiors (in terms of sound signature). The Amperiors are surprisingly well balanced (IMO), if a bit hot in the treble, but they have a really obvious 'W' signature. Meanwhile, the K267's sound signature is much more smoothed out, with more mids, more treble extension and more bass extension while still carrying some of that Amperior bass punch. The imaging still falls short of the amperiors, but the K267's intimate nature is slowly growing on me (just a tiny bit, lol). If it wasn't for the different form-factor, I'd say the Amperiors are much more of a direct competitor than the other phones I compared, given the similar sound and price point.

I hope more people chime in to compare the K267 with the K167's, cause I'm interested in seeing if they really are as similar as people say. If the bass on the K167's is really right in between the K267's 'Club'/medium and 'Stage'/heavy settings, then I think that would actually be the most neutral bass setting for this particular sound signature. And you'd be getting that for less than half the price! That's pretty cool.

In other news: I should be receiving my stealth black M100's by thursday, so expect some more impressions around then.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #803 of 1,152
Quote:
Guess I just expected more from a MSRP $350 HP from the folks at AKG.

I'm following this thread from Germany, and I'm a little bit shocked that the (very few) retailers that offer them try to sell them at €429, which is in the region of almost $580. The actual street price of the K701, by comparison, is about €200, less than half of that. What are they up to??

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #804 of 1,152
Quote:
So I've been comparing these a bit more closely with my HD600's just to sort of verify how 'neutral' these were, cause I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off... and basically I found that while the K267 is really nicely balanced, it has a bit more of a 'W' signature than a straight flat one. The most noticeable difference between the K267 and the (remarkably flat) HD600's is in the low mids. There seems to be a dip in the low mids on the K267, followed promptly by a bit of a hump in the upper bass (giving it a nice punch). The upper mids also seem to dip however, as there seems to be some information missing between the [surprisingly upfront] mids and the air/treble on the K267's.

I hear the exact same thing on the 167. These dips seem to divide and isolate the bass, mids and highs into separate entities. Makes music sound very disjointed and soulless.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #805 of 1,152
Quote:
I will say I think the 167 have great bass. Maybe not a basshead can, where the bass distorts the music or roll into other instruments, but its as tight and controlled as any bass I have heard. Its exactly where it should be. Maybe its my use with the e11, but on high gain and bass boost on 1, its freakin awesome, imo.

I agree-- it's very neat (even unamped).  If it wasn't for the comfort issue with the pads, I would be very happy with the 167, especially given the price.  The bass is not overwhelming, but that's not a bad thing.  My dad tried them out today, and the bass quantity was the first thing he noticed.  His bar is a little off though, as he has been listening to my old Etymotics for a while, and those are pretty bass anemic without a good seal.

Still curious to hear the 267, and I have a feeling I'll eventually pull the trigger on the M-100, at least to try them out for a bit, but I don't get all the negativity toward the 167/267.  Brought the 167 on the road with me, and they folded up compactly, handled the trip well.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #806 of 1,152
Wow, I have requested an RMA form JRR shop and it's been 4 days. I've emailed them 2 times already. They still haven't responded to my email. I will never order from these folks again.

EDIT: Right when I mention that I'm from head-fi, they immediately issue me an RMA. Hmm, now isn't that funny?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #808 of 1,152
In other news: I should be receiving my stealth black M100's by thursday, so expect some more impressions around then.

I took the plunge too with the m100s... Amazon'd them for tomorrow AM.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #809 of 1,152
Quote:
Wow, I have requested an RMA form JRR shop and it's been 4 days. I've emailed them 2 times already. They still haven't responded to my email. I will never order from these folks again.

EDIT: Right when I mention that I'm from head-fi, they immediately issue me an RMA. Hmm, now isn't that funny?

You're returning them too? man... So who of us here so far are actually keeping them? lol

Quote:
I took the plunge too with the m100s... Amazon'd them for tomorrow AM.

Awesome, let us know what you think. You and I seem to share similar-ish taste, so it should be interesting. I was also about to order from amazon to take advantage of my prime membership, but I totally forgot they started charging taxes in CA, and I'm too cheap for that... 
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #810 of 1,152
Quote:
You're returning them too? man... So who of us here so far are actually keeping them? lol
Awesome, let us know what you think. You and I seem to share similar-ish taste, so it should be interesting. I was also about to order from amazon to take advantage of my prime membership, but I totally forgot they started charging taxes in CA, and I'm too cheap for that... 
tongue.gif

Who is..they? 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back