AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 14, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #527 of 1,152
I have no idea. I checked and nothing's wrong happened in there
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #528 of 1,152
A Member of the Trade that modifies headphones cannot review headphones or discuss them without breaking the rules at some point, so it is closed. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #529 of 1,152
Oh, but I was not a member of the trade when I opened the thread/reviewed the phones.

Who's going to open a new thread now? Volunteers, please
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #532 of 1,152
Quote:

M-100 had similar delays.  I actually find this encouraging- the best headphones from the best companies take their time to get them right before rushing to meet demand and cash in ASAP on their R&D.

Great point, Craigster. I am more than happy to wait for a superior product. (Though in hearing the early K167/K267 comparisons, it may not be completely superior.) Still... Anticipation makes the heart grow fonder (or something to that effect.)

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #534 of 1,152
I'd like to congratulate audiopunk for his review. He may not have a lot of exprience but I think he provided more information in his review than many others who also have the headphones.

At least we have some sound and build quality comparisons with K167 now. We also know that the bass adjustment isn't just a marketing gimmick (at least it sounded to me like it was when I heard of it). Whether or not one will enjoy the settings is a personal decision.

Let us know what else you think after a few days with them audiopunk.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #535 of 1,152
Quote:
I'd like to congratulate audiopunk for his review. He may not have a lot of exprience but I think he provided more information in his review than many others who also have the headphones.

At least we have some sound and build quality comparisons with K167 now. We also know that the bass adjustment isn't just a marketing gimmick (at least it sounded to me like it was when I heard of it). Whether or not one will enjoy the settings is a personal decision.

Where is that review?

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #539 of 1,152
Quote:
I picked these up today, I will attach a few pics..... I have been reading this thread but I am no audiophile so I cant answer any of your more technical questions but I can give you some of the basics, not sure if it's going to help you but seeing as nobody else has offered much I thought I would give it a go! I tried them in the shop along with the 167 so I can offer some opinion on the 2 of them side by side....

Leakage - Firstly, it does not matter what setting you have them at (Stage, Club, Studio) you get leakage from all of them. But, only at levels that I consider too loud to listen too as standard. In other words - if you still want to be listening to music when you hit middle-age lol. I had them on in bed with my girlfriend and they were loud enough for me and she could only hear just a tiny bit. As we went up from there it got worse and worse (yes across all 3 settings, tested them all) The K167 easily wins this as it has almost no leakage issues (at safe volume levels)

Isolation - You will have to ecxuse my lack of knowledge, but I believe this is the ability to keep outisde noise out? if this is correct, then with them on but nothing playing, I can hear the T.V but as soon as I turn them on there is no outside noise at all - it's like being in a cinema for 1 lol

Sound - I had them amped at home plugged into my home stereo and I have to say they are easily the best headphone I have ever tried - that is not saying much but the sound is, well....amazing. As I said above, I am no audiophile so someone else will need to give you the detail you are looking for here but to my ear they are perfect. I listened to whole range of music from Rock to Rap, once I started I just couldnt stop hahaha.

Bass settings: I know this is a big subject and I am sorry but I just don't know what sub bass and bass are, to me they are the same - I really hope someone else can help you out with this because to me its quite simple. Studio = no bass at all / Club = bass present and clear / Studio = kick ass bass - almost like it is kicking you in the back of the head!!! and it's clear, very clear at every volume level..... it actually has so much bass that when listening to rock and some pop I had to change it to club because it was so strong and overpowered the rest of the instruments....The Club setting is great for rock music and studio great for rap or electronic or really anything with a heavy baseline I just felt it was too heavy for anything other that. I can't see myself using thr studio setting as it takes the bass away completley. Again, I am sorry about just the basic information but against the 167 (both unamped, in the store) the 267 is heavier than the 167 on Stage - but I think the 167 has more bass than the Club setting (unsure of burn-in times for them)

Build Quality is excellent - feels much stronger than 167
Comfort is no problem at all, l had them on for a solid 3 hours when I got them home and could have kept going but it was late.
Fit is good, I have a medium sized head and there are no issues. I feel it clamps just enough although I dont think I would run in them hahaha

I decided on the 267's because they feel great, nice and strong I dont think there will be any breaks (fingers crossed). They just feel like another level up from the 167's which clearly they are but if you are wondering where the extra $$$$ goes on the 267 this is it. They are just a bit bigger and than the 167's and just gave me the right fit I was looking for! If you are on a budget then I would say go for the 167, very similar sound wise just the step down on build quality that you would expect for the price tag. The bass boost is great, it really is a lot of fun.

Your decision really comes down to this (167 v 267) Bass and Build quality v $$$$

Well I hope this helps - Cheers!

Arrghhh I am trying to add pics but it wont let me, can anyone help? I am clicking the insert image Icon but it's not working, I get a server error.....

(thumbs-up)

Thanks for the nice little review.

It's nice that you didn't get into all those audiophile terms that are difficult to understand for me :D .

About isolation, when you plug them into any device that is on (I know it won't really make a difference )but not playing music, do you experience any noise isolation at all? 

Do you know if they isolate better than Senn. Momentum?

How do they compare to K550s, do you know? 

I know you're no audiophile (me neither) so if there's any questions you can't answer it's grand.

I am stuck between K167, K267 and K550.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #540 of 1,152
Quote:

Thanks!!! Like I said I am no audiophile but seeing as there was not a lot of information I thought I would try to pass on what I could .

@Tino - I was in the same boat trying to decide between K167 v K267 v K550. The store didnt have any K550's left so I was a bit dissapointed I didnt get a chance to try them out. All I know about them is what I have read on Head-Fi. Fantastic build quality but potentially lacking a bit of bass. I am no bass head but I have to admit that it did play a part in my choice. Money was not really an issue, I had been reading a lot of information and saving my pennies and really wanted to make sure I got the right cans for me because I wont be buying lots of different ones (he says now lol), I just wanted 1 really nice set of headphones.

As far as Isolation goes, all I can tell you really is that with them on but no music playing you can hear the T.V, it is muffled as you would expect but you can hear it. But, as soon as you hit play there is no outside noise whatsoever. I'm sorry I can't give you a c[size=10pt]omparison to the senns as I really have no experience with them. I am just new to the world of high end audio and the 267's are my first real purchase....[/size]

Your's as with anyones choice will come down to what you are looking for. My honest opinion is that the 167's provide a very very good alternative if you dont have the $$$ for the 267's. The sound is very close, I just didn't find them as much fun without the bass boost. The 167's isolate as well if not better than 267's and have less leakage issues. As I said, I made my decision based on the build quality of the 267's and becuase of the bass boost. I felt you can play around with that for a bit of fun and they are not so one dimensional as the 167's. For me, looking at the 2 side by side, the cost difference was worth it. I doubt it will be the same for everyone as our needs/wants are different but for me, it was money well spent.

Thoughts after a few days, They have about 30-40 hours on them now, gave them 12 hours of white noise yesterday and to be honest I havent noticed a difference. This is probably more to do with the fact that my ears are not used to such quality sound so it all sounds amazing hahaha. However, I am sure that someone with a trained ear might hear things differently to me....

I am at work so a different computer and it seems I can upload some pics from this one so here you go....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back