AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #542 of 1,152
Quote:
How smooth is the bass adjustment?

Hi Craig - the adjustment is very smooth both mechanically and sound-wise....

You can easily adjust it on-ear, very simple to rotate the dial, just push the dial in and move it to the desired setting. Sound-wise, you dont get a lot moving up from Studio to Club, there is a difference because the Studio setting basically removes all bass from the track but the effect is small. The big difference is from Club to Stage. I was listening to some D12 (only rap album I own haha) and the step up from Club to Stage is amazing. I think because you have to adjust both sides it makes it smoother, I have been very careful and only moving one side at a time so perhaps that makes it smoother.....You get the imidiate punch but no distortion of any kind as you move up through the settings - or down through them for that matter

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #544 of 1,152
Quote:

Thanks!!! Like I said I am no audiophile but seeing as there was not a lot of information I thought I would try to pass on what I could .

@Tino - I was in the same boat trying to decide between K167 v K267 v K550. The store didnt have any K550's left so I was a bit dissapointed I didnt get a chance to try them out. All I know about them is what I have read on Head-Fi. Fantastic build quality but potentially lacking a bit of bass. I am no bass head but I have to admit that it did play a part in my choice. Money was not really an issue, I had been reading a lot of information and saving my pennies and really wanted to make sure I got the right cans for me because I wont be buying lots of different ones (he says now lol), I just wanted 1 really nice set of headphones.

As far as Isolation goes, all I can tell you really is that with them on but no music playing you can hear the T.V, it is muffled as you would expect but you can hear it. But, as soon as you hit play there is no outside noise whatsoever. I'm sorry I can't give you a c[size=10pt]omparison to the senns as I really have no experience with them. I am just new to the world of high end audio and the 267's are my first real purchase....[/size]

Your's as with anyones choice will come down to what you are looking for. My honest opinion is that the 167's provide a very very good alternative if you dont have the $$$ for the 267's. The sound is very close, I just didn't find them as much fun without the bass boost. The 167's isolate as well if not better than 267's and have less leakage issues. As I said, I made my decision based on the build quality of the 267's and becuase of the bass boost. I felt you can play around with that for a bit of fun and they are not so one dimensional as the 167's. For me, looking at the 2 side by side, the cost difference was worth it. I doubt it will be the same for everyone as our needs/wants are different but for me, it was money well spent.

Thoughts after a few days, They have about 30-40 hours on them now, gave them 12 hours of white noise yesterday and to be honest I havent noticed a difference. This is probably more to do with the fact that my ears are not used to such quality sound so it all sounds amazing hahaha. However, I am sure that someone with a trained ear might hear things differently to me....

I am at work so a different computer and it seems I can upload some pics from this one so here you go....

Thanks for your down-to-earth review and opinion! Wow, the cups look huge!!! I'm interested once again... lol.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #546 of 1,152
Specs fairly similar--- except for frequency range, max input power, and weight...
K167: 15 Hz - 23 kHz
K267: 12 Hz - 25 kHz

K167: 2,000 mW
K267: 3,500 mW

K167: 8.8 oz (.25 kg)
K267: 11.6 oz (330 g)

So there should be some difference between the capabilities of the two models, beyond simply build quality.

I can't see the 267 sticking at the $299 price, given how quickly the 167 came down.  Looking forward to reading some more reviews and thanks to everyone who has already posted initial impressions. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #547 of 1,152
I love my 167, but now these are back in the fold for me...these or M100. Ill have to wait for more reviews on these

Thanks for the review! Nice to finally see some thoughts.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #548 of 1,152
Quote:

Thanks!!! Like I said I am no audiophile but seeing as there was not a lot of information I thought I would try to pass on what I could .

@Tino - I was in the same boat trying to decide between K167 v K267 v K550. The store didnt have any K550's left so I was a bit dissapointed I didnt get a chance to try them out. All I know about them is what I have read on Head-Fi. Fantastic build quality but potentially lacking a bit of bass. I am no bass head but I have to admit that it did play a part in my choice. Money was not really an issue, I had been reading a lot of information and saving my pennies and really wanted to make sure I got the right cans for me because I wont be buying lots of different ones (he says now lol), I just wanted 1 really nice set of headphones.

As far as Isolation goes, all I can tell you really is that with them on but no music playing you can hear the T.V, it is muffled as you would expect but you can hear it. But, as soon as you hit play there is no outside noise whatsoever. I'm sorry I can't give you a c[size=10pt]omparison to the senns as I really have no experience with them. I am just new to the world of high end audio and the 267's are my first real purchase....[/size]

Your's as with anyones choice will come down to what you are looking for. My honest opinion is that the 167's provide a very very good alternative if you dont have the $$$ for the 267's. The sound is very close, I just didn't find them as much fun without the bass boost. The 167's isolate as well if not better than 267's and have less leakage issues. As I said, I made my decision based on the build quality of the 267's and becuase of the bass boost. I felt you can play around with that for a bit of fun and they are not so one dimensional as the 167's. For me, looking at the 2 side by side, the cost difference was worth it. I doubt it will be the same for everyone as our needs/wants are different but for me, it was money well spent.

Thoughts after a few days, They have about 30-40 hours on them now, gave them 12 hours of white noise yesterday and to be honest I havent noticed a difference. This is probably more to do with the fact that my ears are not used to such quality sound so it all sounds amazing hahaha. However, I am sure that someone with a trained ear might hear things differently to me....

I am at work so a different computer and it seems I can upload some pics from this one so here you go....

Thanks for the pics, audiopunk. These definitely look the part. Being patient is oh so very difficult.
(Also appreciate your early interpretations.)

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #553 of 1,152
Agree.
They look good, look like it has a lot of padding in the headband portion and the cups look big enough to fit elephant ears!!

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #555 of 1,152
Audiopunk...

Thanks again for the reply.

How big are they exactly? They look both thick and large diameter.

Are they a lot bigger than Beats Pro?

No, I don't like Beats, but I see them (especially the Pros), every day so I really know how big they are.

But I would like to know also if the K167 or K267  have the same amount of detail as the K550 or more, and in isolation K550 vs K267?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back