AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #586 of 1,152
Quote:

DO IT!!! :p

Thanks.

If I do it, I'll probably need proper amplification for the mad dogs, as I'm only running them off my CmoyBB 18v (AD8066). They still sound freakin amazing on the Cmoy, but people tell me the dynamic range is extended when paired with a powerful amp. Don't feel like spending any more money on a better amp right now. I just blew another 300 dollars on the AKG's lol. I'm waiting for the FiiO E12.

Would my CmoyBB 18v AD8066 amp the mad dogs adequate enough for this comparison, or should I just wait for a better amp? This wouldn't be a fair comparison since the orthos is harder to drive. I have been eyeing the modi + magni setup, but I don't feel like blowing another 200 dollars. Like I said before, I already spent 300 on the K267's.

EDIT: If you live around the Sacramento area, you are welcome to try them both and compare. Just contact me and we can meet at a public area.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #588 of 1,152
I gotta say, these things look sexy, especially for a branded pair of phones
Just waiting on some impressions

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #590 of 1,152
Quote:
If I do it, I'll probably need proper amplification for the mad dogs, as I'm only running them off my CmoyBB 18v (AD8066). They still sound freakin amazing on the Cmoy, but people tell me the dynamic range is extended when paired with a powerful amp. Don't feel like spending any more money on a better amp right now. I just blew another 300 dollars on the AKG's lol. I'm waiting for the FiiO E12.

Would my CmoyBB 18v AD8066 amp the mad dogs adequate enough for this comparison, or should I just wait for a better amp? This wouldn't be a fair comparison since the orthos is harder to drive. I have been eyeing the modi + magni setup, but I don't feel like blowing another 200 dollars. Like I said before, I already spent 300 on the K267's.

EDIT: If you live around the Sacramento area, you are welcome to try them both and compare. Just contact me and we can meet at a public area.

No worries about amping requirements. The good thing is that YOU personally love how the Mad Dogs sound right now with your current equipment so it makes sense to plug the AKGs into the same source. Definitely the Mad Dogs can "sing" with better amps but that shouldn't deter you from a comparison. And who knows, maybe you'll enjoy the AKGs even more and forget about a new amp! :p

Sadly, don't live in the States (if that was directed to me! :wink:).

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #591 of 1,152
Quote:

No worries about amping requirements. The good thing is that YOU personally love how the Mad Dogs sound right now with your current equipment so it makes sense to plug the AKGs into the same source. Definitely the Mad Dogs can "sing" with better amps but that shouldn't deter you from a comparison. And who knows, maybe you'll enjoy the AKGs even more and forget about a new amp! :p

Sadly, don't live in the States (if that was directed to me! :wink:).

Thanks.

aight, sounds good. Although I must warn you. I'm a newbie to these forums, so my 'review' might be a bit superficial. I'm new to all this, but I know I can tell good sound from better sound. 

If y'all want to guide me through the process of this, I'd be more than happy to take any constructive criticism. I'm here to learn, and I'm certain a lot of you are here to do the same.

aka  Hold my hand. I'm scared and never written about audio as a topic.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #592 of 1,152
Is HiFiMan reviewing other people's headphones? 
confused.gif

Oops... Meant "Guy" not "Man" - sorry for the confusion

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #594 of 1,152
I really wish they hadn't changed the headband shape from the K167. It is literally the only think that is keeping me from upgrading right now.

There's absolutely no reason to have added a hige block of padding because the K167 headband was superbly comfortable while still being superbly compact. That big block is going to cause portability issues as well as raising the issue of pad deterioration. :/

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #595 of 1,152
Quote:
X2... I really liked the k550 and was bummed to hear hifiman's review of the k551. If these are close to the 550 but with a tiny bit more bass, I'll be super psyched as I was thinking about the white k551s for some time now but pulled the trigger on these for a decent $265.

Shipped and on their way with impressions pending (can't wait!!) though don't hold your breath for a stellar/killer review but I'll do my best.
biggrin.gif

K551 are better than K550?

Where can I get them both for a reasonable price, with the introduction of the Tiesto range they should both significantly drop! You got the K551 for $265? I guess I could do either K550 or K551 dpending on the price difference between the two.

Where d'you get yours from?

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #596 of 1,152
Quote:
I really wish they hadn't changed the headband shape from the K167. It is literally the only think that is keeping me from upgrading right now.

There's absolutely no reason to have added a hige block of padding because the K167 headband was superbly comfortable while still being superbly compact. That big block is going to cause portability issues as well as raising the issue of pad deterioration. :/

There is a big reason they added it since K267 is much heavier and would probably have issues with the headband resting too heavily on your head if it wasn't made wider like that. Ergonomics > looks anyday in my book.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #598 of 1,152
Quote:
aight, sounds good. Although I must warn you. I'm a newbie to these forums, so my 'review' might be a bit superficial. I'm new to all this, but I know I can tell good sound from better sound. 

If y'all want to guide me through the process of this, I'd be more than happy to take any constructive criticism. I'm here to learn, and I'm certain a lot of you are here to do the same.

aka  Hold my hand. I'm scared and never written about audio as a topic.

I look forward to any and all feedback so that I have as much info as possible before deciding to buy.  Your comments will be appreciated.  Some questions I have:

Does the variable bass significantly change the character of the headphone or is it more subtle?  I imagine Studio = K550; Club = M-100; Stage = PRO700MK2. 
Are they practical for portable use?
How is the seal of the earcups? Comfort? Weight?
How are the highs- subdued, harsh or detailed and just right?
How is midrange/vocal detail?
Can they be driven well by a smartphone or is an amp needed to bring them up to enjoyable listening levels?
On the stage setting, how do they compare to any other basshead cans you have heard?

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #599 of 1,152
Quote:
I look forward to any and all feedback so that I have as much info as possible before deciding to buy.  Your comments will be appreciated.  Some questions I have:

Does the variable bass significantly change the character of the headphone or is it more subtle?  I imagine Studio = K550; Club = M-100; Stage = PRO700MK2. 
Are they practical for portable use?
How is the seal of the earcups? Comfort? Weight?
How are the highs- subdued, harsh or detailed and just right?
How is midrange/vocal detail?
Can they be driven well by a smartphone or is an amp needed to bring them up to enjoyable listening levels?
On the stage setting, how do they compare to any other basshead cans you have heard?

As a owner of the pro700's I feel people blow the bass way out of proportion. People expect low hitting bass that blows your head in but its actually upper bass with great articulation. I prefer them for listing to to live tracks. Now with an amp and some equalization you can get them to vibrate your skull but I feel that was not the intended purpose, plus at the volume you have to put it at for that to happen I wouldn't recommend it. My 2 cents.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #600 of 1,152
K551 are better than K550?

Where can I get them both for a reasonable price, with the introduction of the Tiesto range they should both significantly drop! You got the K551 for $265? I guess I could do either K550 or K551 dpending on the price difference between the two.

Where d'you get yours from?

Ok, so no... Not saying the 551s are better or worse than the 550s as I have only heard the 550s and loved them but thought they could use a bit more bass and really wanted a shorter cable for portable/office use. Going by the thread here where HiFiGuy reviewed the 551 and said they were close but not as high a performer of the 550s, I passed on the whole line and took a chance ordering the k267.

I had bought my 550s at Best Buy for $249 when they had them on sale and I saw JRs have the white 551s for $299 (which I loved the looks) but bought the k267 from jrrshop for $265 in hopes they have similar sound of the 550s but with more quality and quantity bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back