AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Feb 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #391 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go the a pet shop, see my previous post
biggrin.gif

Hmpf, I need to find a better pet shop. Neither of the two shops in my town had pieces that were large a enough when I went looking a couple of months ago.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #392 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmpf, I need to find a better pet shop. Neither of the two shops in my town had pieces that were large a enough when I went looking a couple of months ago.

I found them at Pets Place.
They sell them as a square piece of foam.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #393 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found them at Pets Place.
They sell them as a square piece of foam.

Thanks, I'll try to find one of those. (Either that or wait until I'll place my mega-order for replacement parts with AKG.)

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #396 of 1,737
Oh man, I'm really conscious of the rattle due to disintegrating foam now, after reading these posts.

I haven't tried to open my Sextetts yet, but I have tried to open my K140s, and found that none of the bits I had would fit into the groove of the screw. Anyone know what type of screwdriver I should use for the K240 Sextetts? I could just open and check, but I'd rather have the right tool before I do it.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #397 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I'm really conscious of the rattle due to disintegrating foam now, after reading these posts.

I haven't tried to open my Sextetts yet, but I have tried to open my K140s, and found that none of the bits I had would fit into the groove of the screw. Anyone know what type of screwdriver I should use for the K240 Sextetts? I could just open and check, but I'd rather have the right tool before I do it.

a small flathead should do the trick. it's really pretty easy to take apart once you loosen the two screws.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #398 of 1,737
Thanks, Semi.

By the by, if any of you Sextett owners have comfort issues with your cans, (eg: you can't keep them on for more than an hour without pain) look into getting custom pads from KT88! I bought some (not from him), and they are simply awesome sounding, but most of all (imho) extremely comfortable!

I had flat pads, which I then re-stuffed, using Kabeer's method, but that only made it slightly better on my ears. If you have a small head/small hears, this may not be a huge issue, but if you have a big head/ears like I do, I highly recommend these pads.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #400 of 1,737
Mar 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #403 of 1,737
Cool, rhythmdevils! I got a glimpse of it in your pictures. I'm guessing that your EP had removable [snap off] grills/baffles. I should look it up again, but I don't think that the MP has the same.

Out of curiosity, what material did you use?

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #404 of 1,737
Quote:

Mr. Khali, I don't know. As Tiemen said, asking him would probably be the most straightforward answer.

I bought a pair from the gentleman who sold you HD25s recently!

Thanks guys, I have sent him a PM. Do you feel it helped the sound much? I am hoping for a bit more treble but alas that would make these perfect!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #405 of 1,737
Quote:

Cool, rhythmdevils! I got a glimpse of it in your pictures. I'm guessing that your EP had removable [snap off] grills/baffles. I should look it up again, but I don't think that the MP has the same.

Out of curiosity, what material did you use?

I used some sound transparent speaker cloth that another head-fier so kindly sent me. But I was talking to a sound engineer a while back and he had a good point that anything is fine as long as you feel no resistance when you blow through it. If you feel resistance to your breath moving out of the cloth, then it's going to affect the sound.

Some of the MP sextetts have removable grills too. But you can still rescreen them, it's just not as easy cause you have to break off the grill and then sand down the bit that is left on the headphone baffle.

Really worth it though, if you want to keep the phones and have comfort issues. New pads or KT88 pads alone wasn't enough for me. I posted a little tutorial for how to do it in this thread somewhere, but I don't have the time or energy to find it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back