AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Feb 24, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #376 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to open them up to clean the innards. If you use a small thin object, you can press off the "buttons" (there should be a notch on one side where you can get maybe a paperclip or similar under them), and then you should be left with screws. From there it should simply be a case of unscrewing and moving off the relevant pieces of ear-cup.

There is foam inside the cups that cushions the cup's hinging movement (from what I've read this is its purpose, and should have little/no bearing on sound). However, when it gets old, it tends to disintegrate. Whether this is particularly harmful I don't know, but on the model I had it built up a bit in the back of the passive radiators. I don't recall whether this affected sound, and I don't remember hearing any unwanted vibrations either, but it may be worth brushing out just in case.

As for the "buttons", I think you can order Sextett ones still. The service documents on the AKG professional site should give you part numbers for the one(s) you need, and many other parts for the Sextett (you should be able to replace pretty much everything apart from the drivers, passive radiators, and baffles if you wish). As for whom to contact, I don't have any details, but I remember people talking about someone in particular in the US that is usually the most helpful/useful contact in regards to servicing, so maybe another member can chime in.

Thanks!

I'm really loving these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Leon

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #377 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is foam inside the cups that cushions the cup's hinging movement (from what I've read this is its purpose, and should have little/no bearing on sound). However, when it gets old, it tends to disintegrate. Whether this is particularly harmful I don't know, but on the model I had it built up a bit in the back of the passive radiators. I don't recall whether this affected sound, and I don't remember hearing any unwanted vibrations either, but it may be worth brushing out just in case.

The worst part about the foam is not so much that it disintegrates but has a tendency to degrade to a sort of sticky tar-like substance. Probably not the best thing to have collecting on your passive drivers.
biggrin.gif
So x2 on removing it right away.

As far as I know, even replacement foams are still available from AKG. But sometimes a lot of perseverance and patience is necessary to get it.

Here's the service documentation.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #378 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bump an older thread, but I had a few questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

I recently got some LP Sextetts, but the headband arrived all "deformed". Is there a way to bend it back?

Second, a few people mentioned "deep intensive cleaning" when they got their Sextetts. How exactly do you go about cleaning them?

Also, what do people mean when they talk about the disintegrating "foam"? Like. What difference does it make if the foam is dissolving or not?

How much do parts cost and how do you order them?

Lastly, one of the "buttons" (the one that says AKG) on the side of the headphone is missing and it's hyping up my OCD.
biggrin.gif
Is there anything that's aesthetically pleasing yet practical that I could glue over it?

Thanks,
Leon

Wearing the phone will help to get the headband back in shape, but otherwise I don't think there's much you can do, exept buying a new one.
'Desintegrading foam' are the foamrings on the outer inside of the cups. This foam can help with a proper fit, but is not that important.
The elastics are those from the headband to the cups, also helping for a proper fit. If your Sextett is doing well on your head, there's nothing to worry about.
Can't help with the missing button.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #379 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Desintegrading foam' are the foamrings on the outer inside of the cups. This foam can help with a proper fit, but is not that important.

No replacing the foam is important, these phones have a strong bas impact and without the foam you get vibrations and poor quality. AKG put the foam in there for a reason and it is a cheap no-brainer to replace.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #380 of 1,737
Yes I found replacing the foam did tighten up the bass slightly.
I didn't have any trouble getting new elastics and pads for mine just contacted AKG by email and they put me in touch with my nearest agent for parts and they had them in stock.
Im based in the UK though and reading through the thread may be lucky as the US agent does't seem that highly reguarded as far as supply goes.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #382 of 1,737
I just literally opened up the inner grills of my Sextett's and noticed the same black sponge-like fuzz. I took a bottle of compressed air and lightly blew all that stuff out and wiped the dust/dirt on the plastic area surrounding the driver. Be very careful w/ the white/orange circle areas as they are soft and seem fragile... hope that gets rid of the rattling.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #383 of 1,737
It might not totally stop the rattling as the foam is used as a damper and gets compressed when you screw the headphones back together again to firm up the fit between the headphone driver housings.

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #385 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by orys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what if i remove the sponge and i use cotton to fill them? will it work? by the way how do i open them? the service manual is for the new models.

According to the expert (Fitz) any other material you put in there will change the sound for the worse. You really need exactly that type of open-cell foam. I do believe a similar kind of foam that's used in aquariumfilters can be a good substitute though.

The service manual actually also applies to the Sextett, they are referred to as "K240 old (version)". There's a screw under the silver badges on both cups which you need to unscrew to open them.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #388 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the expert (Fitz) any other material you put in there will change the sound for the worse. You really need exactly that type of open-cell foam. I do believe a similar kind of foam that's used in aquariumfilters can be a good substitute though.

The service manual actually also applies to the Sextett, they are referred to as "K240 old (version)". There's a screw under the silver badges on both cups which you need to unscrew to open them.

Yes, I used some (blue) reticulated foam that are sold for use in fishtankfilters, and they have the same structure as the original foam.
You can cut rings from the piece with a scissor. Don't make them too thick.
It should have some elasticity, because the cups are pressed into them when you wear the headphone. When you use stiff material, the cups cannot bend to the shape of your head.

The service manual can be found here:
Library - Download - Service documentation

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #389 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by orys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone kind enough to provide that foam please?

Go the a pet shop, see my previous post
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #390 of 1,737
i used some foam used to box a Novarossi radio controlled car engine. I cut strips, thin ones to put around the edge and thicker strips where the aluminum rings sit. it doesn't rattle now i think and the highs don't seem to have been altered. can you believe i seem to prefer the K240 Sextett MP over the K701 in songs like Fleetwood Mac - The Chain? The sound seems more full on the Sextett. Depending on the recording obviously. Good recordings like 24bit/96khz Gold cds, i think the K701 is better and shows that it's got enough bass. That is with Moon Audio black dragon cable and the Heed Canamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back