AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Dec 18, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #302 of 1,737
Dec 18, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #304 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for reviving suchan old thread, but I have some questions =x

I got my sextetts a while ago, and immediately did a deep clean. I'm not quite sure where to buy new elastics, foam, and what to use for "acoustically transparent cloth" to regrille them(Mine are MP with a removable grille)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Acousticly transparent cloth would be any cloth that, when you blow through it, you feel (ideally) no resistance to your breath passing through the material. if you feel resistance, it is not transparent enough, and you shoudl find something with more holes. Women's leggings work, but it is a bit better if they are not stretchy because then they won't keep your ears and other objects out of the drivers as well.

The stock parts can be purchased from Frank at Harmon Kardon, usa. do a search for "frank akg" and you'll find his number.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #305 of 1,737
I think you could have had a damaged pair, i mean these things are 30 years old, and if someone leftt them out in the rain 20 years ago, you'd never know it, and they probably wouldn't sound as good ever again.

But, these are definitely not "wow-you" phones like grados, etc. But that is why I like them so much. They report the music as it is, so you can listen to everything without getting your ear drums axe-picked by 3% of the frequency spectrum.

I'm just saying that it seems very possible that you liked them more because you weren't looking for the wow-factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted this in another thread, but like to do it here as well, because I'm really confused.

I have to correct myself.
I bought another Sextett, again a MP, but this time they do impress me.
Don't know how come. These have the din plug, but otherwise they are the same as I had before.
But to my ears these have a slighlty tighter bass, more detail, better highs and are toe-tapping to boot.
And what a lovely smooth and warm mid-range. I now understand why people sold their Denon when they had their Sextett.

Still the other pair was in great condition, with tighter elastics. And played with a X-can V3. I now use the Denon pre-amp.
Maybe it's because I was used to the pratty Beyerdynamic DT770 then? Or maybe I was expecting too much the first time?
I didn't expect anything special this time.
Maybe it's just hit and miss with these cans?
Anyway, I'm glad I gave them a second chance.
Wish they were more comfortable though.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #306 of 1,737
Hi,
I just got my K240 Sextett, bought from Austria/ebay for 60EUR.
I think this is MP, silver rings and plates, the radiators are white with orange circle and the headband is with the holes. First needed a clean because the foam was totally rotten...
frown.gif
Immediately putted on a pair of orange leather pads bought from German ebay. I also have brand new original pads, will try tomorrow, and search for some replacement reticulated foam.
Just started to listen, but I didn't regret till now, thanks for the tip
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #307 of 1,737
I just got a Sextett myself. Seems to be a mid-production version (orange circle around the radiators, holes in the headband and orange plastics inside). The foam was disintegrating badly so I replaced it and re-cabled the phones while I was at it (the original cable was not in a very good shape and I prefer to have cables going to both ears separately for a more “balanced” feel).

The elastics are also out of shape, but as an initial remedy I tightened them so that the headband works for me (but presumably not so well for other head sizes). Have to see about a better solution later.

Anyhow, my question is regarding the pads. The ones on mine still work, but they feel a bit flat. I'm not too fond of the feel of the material, so I was wondering if anyone here has experience with alternative replacement pads than the ones for the modern K-240s? Velour or something.

(I tried the pads from my K-601s on, but they are definitely wrong for the Sextett phones; almost all bass is lost. And they would need modification to stay on other than by the clamping force of the headphones when worn.)

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #308 of 1,737
The modern pads fit. I think velour pads will do the same thing the K601 pads did, kill the bass. Get the pleather pads if you get new pads. IMO the only reasons to get new pads is if the old pads are cracked or so flat you can't get a good seal.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #309 of 1,737
Regarding the loose elastics, I came up with a cheap DIY solution which works very well for me: I wrapped some thicker elastic chord around the protruding part on the earcups and the attachment point for the old elastics. It seems to stay put rather well, and doesn't even strike me as too ugly (using a regular plastic band for the same purpose might =).

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #310 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the pleather pads if you get new pads. IMO the only reasons to get new pads is if the old pads are cracked or so flat you can't get a good seal.

Alright, I guess I'll go for new pleather pads then. The ones I have are still manageable, but too flat to be comfortable for any extended listening.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #311 of 1,737
i recently accquired a pair of k240 sextetts but i have no idea what the termination is and

A) i need help identifying what it is and whether
B) there is an adapter that will allow me to use it as a SE.

unfortunately the search button did not yield anything helpful,
any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

wire comes outside only on one side and it ends in a 5 pin plug of some sort :

resizek.jpg

resize2.jpg

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #312 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i recently accquired a pair of k240 sextetts but i have no idea what the termination is and

A) i need help identifying what it is and whether
B) there is an adapter that will allow me to use it as a SE.

unfortunately the search button did not yield anything helpful,
any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

wire comes outside only on one side and it ends in a 5 pin plug of some sort :

resizek.jpg

resize2.jpg

Look for post 291 in this thread, where I asked the same question. The answers are below that post.

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #314 of 1,737
i just got a sextett LP from ebay. but i feel like the bass is not that great. i think the ear pads are bad and i do not have a good seal. the surface of the ear pad is good, but it is kinda flatten. when i wear it, the grill is pushing my ear. so i think i should replace the earpad first. i am wondering how much are those? is it easy to find them in a local store since i cannot wait to try them on :p.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #315 of 1,737
get new earpads asap. Do a search for frank akg, call him, order the pads. These phones really need new pads, IMO. You could also PM KT88 and order a pair of his custom pads, which I think sound better, or at least as good/different flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back