AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,351 of 1,737
I have a pair of LP Sextetts that I adore, but I kinda effed up while performing a removable cable mod. Nothing huge, I carved out some of the cup on the right ear to install a mini XLR port, but realized that wouldn't fit at all. So now I've put in MMCX ports in either side, but the Sugru I used to re-fill the extra space in the cup doesn't seem to be doing the job in keeping the MMCX port in place when I pull the cables out. So I've got 2 basic questions:

Anyone know where I can buy a replacement cup (just the plastic cup that has the silver logo on it)? If not it's not a huge deal, I'll find a good way to fill in that spot... gonna try the Sugru again but molded differently so it should hold better, but still, if there's a proper replacement that'd be grand.

Anyone know what size and thread count the little screw that holds that cup in place is (I kinda stripped it, it was very old when I received it and I think getting it out of the brass screw underneath stripped it a bit)?

Thank you in advance.
Try epoxy for a permanent fix instead of sugru. You can also get epoxy putty if creating a dam for the liquid stuff is too difficult.

I'd imagine all the parts of a sextett are NLA, except the earpads. You're probably best off looking for a parts donor pair (from ebay, facebook marketplace, craigslist etc) and making one mint headphone out of two damaged ones. Perhaps the AKG nerds will know if other vintage models have interchangeable plastics with the sextett (later K240s, K171 perhaps?)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,352 of 1,737
I have a pair of LP Sextetts that I adore, but I kinda effed up while performing a removable cable mod. Nothing huge, I carved out some of the cup on the right ear to install a mini XLR port, but realized that wouldn't fit at all. So now I've put in MMCX ports in either side, but the Sugru I used to re-fill the extra space in the cup doesn't seem to be doing the job in keeping the MMCX port in place when I pull the cables out. So I've got 2 basic questions:

Anyone know where I can buy a replacement cup (just the plastic cup that has the silver logo on it)? If not it's not a huge deal, I'll find a good way to fill in that spot... gonna try the Sugru again but molded differently so it should hold better, but still, if there's a proper replacement that'd be grand.

Anyone know what size and thread count the little screw that holds that cup in place is (I kinda stripped it, it was very old when I received it and I think getting it out of the brass screw underneath stripped it a bit)?

Thank you in advance.

Service sheet indicates M2x6 for original K240 and K241, but doesn’t indicate the pitch or head type. The “lids” (that’s what the service sheet calls the cups) were the same on Sextett, 241, monitor, and DF, (same left and right) and only changed for the Studio and MKII, which had different ones for each model and each side. You may be able to use the miniXLR caps off the studio or MKII by attaching standoffs to the housings to match the two screw attachment of the studio/MKII miniXLR lid. Or even using the studio or monitor Left side housing.

Not an expert - heck don’t even have a set of 240s yet (Sextetts arrive today - Monitors Saturday). Working off the service sheet - available on the AKG website - you can take a look. Interesting that the swivel and cardan piece have remained the same part number from K140 to present (no mistype - k140 used the same), but attachment changed from screw in screw with nut to what appears to be a self tapping screw. So new studio or MKII swivel (18), housing (15a), screw (13), lid left with miniXLR socket (12), PCB (28) and corresponding screws (11) oughta get you to miniXLR on left and maybe they still have the lids for 240Sextett/241/monitor/DF, since monitor and DF have been in production into the 2000s IIRC.

I have a set of studios coming in too for parts only (pads, elastics and ring for sextets, Damper material and other hard parts to hopefully fix K140s). When I have everything apart I’ll let you know if it’ll work. If it will I may even make a you a deal, if I don’t decide to go this route myself.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #1,353 of 1,737
Much appreciated to the both of you. I found an appropriate screw today (just took the old one to Ace and said "Gimme this but not stripped"). Will try the Sugru once more, assuming it doesn't work I've got some JB Weld plastic epoxy putty on the way to arrive this weekend.

@Coug you're gonna like the Sextetts, I think. Mine sound fantastic. My lineup has a lot of trendy 'phones - EMU Teaks, some TH-X00s that I modded for removable cables (after experimenting first on the AKGs), 6XX and Sundaras. It can go toe to toe with all of them. Shoot, I'm more than anything looking forward to driving them with a balanced cable - 600 ohms was a challenge for my old entry-level Schiit stack, but I just got a THX 887 and have been enjoying the added power.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #1,355 of 1,737
I will say they like tubes a lot. Sound fantastic on a Darkvoice.

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,356 of 1,737
Just got em in - WoW... I may be lightening the stable a bit. Tried a few playlists on 3 amps, right now Abby Road (Super Deluxe Edition) on the Valhalla. For me, they really like the Valhalla. The Crack gives better low end, but the sound stage is just right on the Valhalla. Mids are beautiful, a little forward, but not in a bad way - more like a perfect way, row 2-3 in the crowd Of a small venue. Treble is clear and detailed, maybe a little recessed and/or rolled off on the upper end, but keeps it from being etching. Maybe a little too much ringing at certain freqs? Just hear it every now and then - just a little distracting - only a little. Bass is nice, sits a little further in the back on some tracks, but could be the recording. Good extension. Open E on bass (47 Hz) seems to have just as much weight as the rest of the bass notes . The Crack brings the bass and treble forward a bit, but becomes a little congested IMO.

Damn, sitting here listening and I keep stop typing just to listen... I am so glad I found this thread and these phones. Awed at the cricket in the opening of “Sun King”, the one that is about 20 yards away on the front right (Bearing about 40 degrees) who decides to hop off to the left and away (don’t know how he’s still moving and singing, but oh well...). Attack and decay seem just about right for me. Not too sharp, certainly not rounded - veiled (ya, I’m looking at you HD6XXs, though you get to stay for bedtime). Really natural sounding, not neutral or flat, just enjoyable, maybe cohesive is better than natural. Everything sounds so good together. Toe tapping PRaT, if you believe in that sort of thing. The demos on this album sound great on these too, maybe better than some of the final mixes. Can hear the “room” more.

Should sound even better with new pads and elastic.

Anyway - look to be LP - white reflectors without orange. Elastic is shot (expected). Pads aren’t bad (not expected). Filthy though. Did a surface clean and will open them up and do thorough cleaning when the parts phones show up. Have to try to score the MP and EP now. How many can I buy for some HD 6XXs, HE 4XXs, and K7XXs?

NOS monitors showed up too. Should have started with them first. After the Sextetts - meh. I’ll have to audition them after some burn in, if I finally decide to peel these off my head. Funny, the monitors don’t seem to care about amp - Valhalla2, Crack, Asgard3. Slight color difference, but pretty much plays equally nice with each.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #1,357 of 1,737
Yeah, a big experience for me with these + the Darkvoice was the "Ooh La La La" vocals in "You Won't See Me." Feels like Lennon and Harrison are crooning directly into my brain.

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,359 of 1,737
Where'd you get the new elastics? I'm using baby-size hair ties...

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,362 of 1,737
OK, pad change just got rid of any reservations. Anyone interested in these, take the advice throughout this thread and buy some new pads to have on hand when you receive the headphones - big difference. Even if the pads on the headphones are good, you’ll have a spare set when you need ‘em.

Bass has come forward and increased in quantity. Mids are pulled back a bit, or matched by bass and treble. Sitting really nice in the mix now. Treble is pulled forward a bit, again just right in the mix. Any ringing or peakiness I heard before is reduced to negligible or gone. Running through What Hi-Fi‘s “10 of the best tracks to test your headphones” nothing sticks out as wrong or bad. First time I wanted to listen to every track to the end...

These are the “Goldilocks” for engaging listening for me. Not the “energizing, get ready for the day or work or mow the lawn” headphones. Not the “Relax before going to bed” headphones (I’d likely not want to stop and go to bed). Not the “analyze this track” ‘phones. And best of all, not “bust the wallet” pair. But absolutely the ”Sit down and Loose yourself” ‘phones. The “If you could only keep one set” headphones for me. Yep, I guess I’m a “Fanboy” now.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #1,363 of 1,737
OK, pad change just got rid of any reservations. Anyone interested in these, take the advice throughout this thread and buy some new pads to have on hand when you receive the headphones - big difference. Even if the pads on the headphones are good, you’ll have a spare set when you need ‘em.

Bass has come forward and increased in quantity. Mids are pulled back a bit, or matched by bass and treble. Sitting really nice in the mix now. Treble is pulled forward a bit, again just right in the mix. Any ringing or peakiness I heard before is reduced to negligible or gone. Running through What Hi-Fi‘s “10 of the best tracks to test your headphones” nothing sticks out as wrong or bad. First time I wanted to listen to every track to the end...

These are the “Goldilocks” for engaging listening for me. Not the “energizing, get ready for the day or work or mow the lawn” headphones. Not the “Relax before going to bed” headphones (I’d likely not want to stop and go to bed). Not the “analyze this track” ‘phones. And best of all, not “bust the wallet” pair. But absolutely the ”Sit down and Loose yourself” ‘phones. The “If you could only keep one set” headphones for me. Yep, I guess I’m a “Fanboy” now.
I found the same thing. Mine had the same pads from when my uncle got them in the early eighties. Brainwavz XL aren't bad on them, but Dekoni elite hybrids are fantastic.

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,364 of 1,737
Been away a while. Summer means garden work. lol.

I noticed earlier people talking about hour hand pointers as to volume levels. Maybe I listen to loud but then I am 45 and my hearing is still fine. Senn 580s on a BH crack (zero is about 7 o clock) I have them at 10-11 o clock. The Sextetts need 12-30 to 1-30 to match that volume...........and thats the volume I listen so thats what I set it to :)

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,365 of 1,737
Just got em in - WoW... I may be lightening the stable a bit. Tried a few playlists on 3 amps, right now Abby Road (Super Deluxe Edition) on the Valhalla. For me, they really like the Valhalla. The Crack gives better low end, but the sound stage is just right on the Valhalla. Mids are beautiful, a little forward, but not in a bad way - more like a perfect way, row 2-3 in the crowd Of a small venue. Treble is clear and detailed, maybe a little recessed and/or rolled off on the upper end, but keeps it from being etching. Maybe a little too much ringing at certain freqs? Just hear it every now and then - just a little distracting - only a little. Bass is nice, sits a little further in the back on some tracks, but could be the recording. Good extension. Open E on bass (47 Hz) seems to have just as much weight as the rest of the bass notes . The Crack brings the bass and treble forward a bit, but becomes a little congested IMO.

Damn, sitting here listening and I keep stop typing just to listen... I am so glad I found this thread and these phones. Awed at the cricket in the opening of “Sun King”, the one that is about 20 yards away on the front right (Bearing about 40 degrees) who decides to hop off to the left and away (don’t know how he’s still moving and singing, but oh well...). Attack and decay seem just about right for me. Not too sharp, certainly not rounded - veiled (ya, I’m looking at you HD6XXs, though you get to stay for bedtime). Really natural sounding, not neutral or flat, just enjoyable, maybe cohesive is better than natural. Everything sounds so good together. Toe tapping PRaT, if you believe in that sort of thing. The demos on this album sound great on these too, maybe better than some of the final mixes. Can hear the “room” more.

Should sound even better with new pads and elastic.

Anyway - look to be LP - white reflectors without orange. Elastic is shot (expected). Pads aren’t bad (not expected). Filthy though. Did a surface clean and will open them up and do thorough cleaning when the parts phones show up. Have to try to score the MP and EP now. How many can I buy for some HD 6XXs, HE 4XXs, and K7XXs?

NOS monitors showed up too. Should have started with them first. After the Sextetts - meh. I’ll have to audition them after some burn in, if I finally decide to peel these off my head. Funny, the monitors don’t seem to care about amp - Valhalla2, Crack, Asgard3. Slight color difference, but pretty much plays equally nice with each.

Abbey Road is a strange beast for me. My Mum and Dad being (UK) boomers of course have it and as a late teen/young twentysomething I listened to it and fell in love with it. By far the best Beatles album IMO. However I have a version which has been superduperised for modern listening and it sounds terrible to my ears. Nto as bad as some other remasters but not good. I might take a listen tonight with the Sextetts before deciding to give my parents an ultimatum. Give me that album or else. lol.

As for parts for the Sextetts. I may be wrong (frequently am) but I think most of the parts for the Sextett other than the actual Sextett parts are still in the modern K240. So you could pretty much buy any new part other then the specific sextett parts and they should fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back