AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Aug 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #736 of 1,737
You're welcome mate!  I'll be shipping them out today. It was much more interesting to review them than I thought it would be.  Quite an interesting pair of cans. Thanks!

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #737 of 1,737
I want my K240 Sextett LP renovated.

I have a pair of AKG K240 Sextett LP headphones.

They need some renovating. The elastics on the sides are worn out and the foam inside might need changing too.

Plus, I want to have the drivers accessed too.

I can't do this job on my own, and will not attempt to do it.

Any particular Sextett fan on here that can do this for me?

Will pay of course.

NB: I'm in the UK.

Kind Regards.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #738 of 1,737
Tyll I completely agree with your findings. Especially with the bass response. The biggest flaw of their bass is extension. There's plenty of punch and slam but it just doesn't extend very far down. Mids are still some of the best I've listened to but to my ears the highs are a little grainy. The sound stage can be surprising seeing they are only semi-open.  The sound stage also has good dept.  The thing that separates them them most from high end cans is refinement. The tone does sound accurate and real and the thing that makes them so fun sounding imo.  With the lp, you gain a treble that's more clear with less grain, even tighter bass, and a slightly larger sound stage. But you do loose bass impact  and a little of the fun factor. The mp's are right down the middle, and overall my favorite. I do love all three however. The ep's are more rare and hard to find, and for that reason are more desirable. But soundwise, I prefer the other two. The biggest problem with sextetts today is finding a pair in really good condition

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #739 of 1,737
To anyone who's disassembled the Sextett, I've popped off the front grill, but can't seem to find a way to pull off the back grill to get at the diffusers. Help?

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #740 of 1,737

Quote:
To anyone who's disassembled the Sextett, I've popped off the front grill, but can't seem to find a way to pull off the back grill to get at the diffusers. Help?

Maybe this can help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/279905/taking-the-k240-sextett-apart-step-by-step

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #741 of 1,737
Sep 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #742 of 1,737
Finally got these sounding good! It turns out these really need a DAC (connected to PC), a good interconnect cable (Mogami) and a neutral amp. Previously I was using them with sources that were a bit too bass heavy or too warm and it kind of screwed up the sound clarity and kind of muffled the sound. The idea of this didn't pop up into my head until recently when I found the D2000 to have bloated bass. Switched sources and the bass issue was fixed. I tested the Sextett one time with a docked Ipod Touch (to amp) with lossless files and the resulting sound is pretty horrible. Same with another CD player I have. Apparently my 2G Ipod Touch is bass heavy. Huh?!

It seems like my pair has quite a lot of bass. Not overkill, but more than enough. The sound clarity is definitely now improved. I also recabled them again with Mogami Starquad. The mids on these sound thicker/fuller than those of the K501, but it varies between amps. Believe it or not, the E9 drives them quite well. I know you may think otherwise, but good enough for me since it's not my main headphone. I'll have to test it later with my more powerful Headroom Micro amp. I think it may be a bad match though.

Not sure why, but the main thing that impresses me the most with this headphone is the soundstage. Not just the size. They're also no detail monster, but still pretty good. They had far more detail when I was using the Belden 1192A, but I'm so sick of recabling these!

My pair is the LP version as far as I know, but it seems fairly bass heavy. I'll have to do more testing.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #743 of 1,737
Sep 24, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #744 of 1,737

Quote:
No, those don't come out, at least not without cutting the plastic. Each individual disc is put into the baffle from behind, then the plastic is melted in spots to permanently fix it in place.

That's what I thought. I swear I've seen pictures of the discs removed, but I guess those guys were a little more hardcore than I. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #745 of 1,737
Tyll I completely agree with your findings. Especially with the bass response. The biggest flaw of their bass is extension.

that's weird cause i find my sextetts lp to have wonderful bass extension and played 20hz and 25hz bass sweeps through them before with no problem. everything driven by my 1985 Yamaha R-9 receiver in Class A. i also listen to lot of heavy bass classics from DJ fury,Bass 305,Basstronics,Bass outlaws,ect and i had no issues with my sextetts lp one bit pumping out the deep lows.

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #746 of 1,737
Tyll just posted measurements of my Sextetts on InnerFidelity

I'm surprised by the FR measurements.  The midrange doesn't seem as pronounced as I would have thought, and the treble seems more pronounced.  But it's cool how much he liked them.  :)

Thanks Tyll!!

that is interesting. thing i remember don't he measure in a diffused field environment? i'm not sure how he measures headphones and from my understanding the sexetts are actually free-field equalized. i have docs i think i posted here before showing the sextetts were measured using a head dummy in an anechoic chamber. wouldn't it be kinda odd measuring a headphone in a diffused field environment which were free-field equalized? i'm just curious.

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #747 of 1,737

Quote:
that is interesting. thing i remember don't he measure in a diffused field environment? i'm not sure how he measures headphones and from my understanding the sexetts are actually free-field equalized. i have docs i think i posted here before showing the sextetts were measured using a head dummy in an anechoic chamber. wouldn't it be kinda odd measuring a headphone in a diffused field environment which were free-field equalized? i'm just curious.

I measure using an "Independant of direction" (ID) compensation.  I have to use the same compensations and methods on all cans or they won't be comparable one against the other. 

It really matters not what theory was used in the headphone design; that I've found, none of them measure flat no matter what curve is used. Remember, I'm producing data in order to compare headphones, not to measure them with absolute accuracy for design purposes. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #748 of 1,737
Hi there, long time reader but first post. I was advised to come here by some guys over at HiFi Wigwam to see if I could get any answers to my question.

I've done a search regarding my question but I'm still not entirely sure, so I'll just post my thread here too:

Hi there, I have some AKG K240 sextetts which I was given many years ago, although they sound great they were in a pretty poor condition when I got them initially, so I stripped them down and gave them a thorough clean / service.

While I was doing this, on one side the red/white leads snapped off due to me moving them around, and maybe age. I resoldered them back on, but was just wondering recently if the phase mattered? I seem to remember putting them the same way as the other side, but it was months ago now so I can't really remember.

As I said they sound fine, but my OCD has me worrying now if one side is actually out of phase, and if this is even possible on such a thing? I mean it'd be like connecting a speaker the wrong way around surely?

Was just wondering if there is an easy way to test, I have the wiring diagram, would have to peel the little labels off the headphones again and totally dismantle them if I wanted to check that's all.

I asked someone before more knowledgeable than me and he just said 'use a multimeter' which is fair enough, but the wiring diagram no matter how simple, confuses me to begin with.

So just asking if it would actually make a difference first off and then I'll decide to open them up again and check. cheers!

k240.png

These are the wires I'm talking about (not my photo)
http://imageshack.us/f/178/1494913xh9.jpg/

I've read from here that the wiring is as follows:
Red = Right +
White = Right -
Yellow = Left +
Blue = Left -

But it'd be nice to find out which way +/- is on the actual driver!

Any help would be great! thanks, I love the K240 Sextett and hope I have soldered the connector the correct way around! :wink:

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #749 of 1,737
I believe that is correct. If I am right then they black mark on the driver indicates the positive polarity so then the red wire would be correct and the white would be the negative polarity.

I know beyer marks their drivers with a yellow marker to identify the positive polarity so AKG might have done the same. Check the other driver and see if there is a black mark on it. if there is then the drivers are marked correctly.

Quote:
Hi there, long time reader but first post. I was advised to come here by some guys over at HiFi Wigwam to see if I could get any answers to my question.

I've done a search regarding my question but I'm still not entirely sure, so I'll just post my thread here too:
Quote:
Hi there, I have some AKG K240 sextetts which I was given many years ago, although they sound great they were in a pretty poor condition when I got them initially, so I stripped them down and gave them a thorough clean / service.

While I was doing this, on one side the red/white leads snapped off due to me moving them around, and maybe age. I resoldered them back on, but was just wondering recently if the phase mattered? I seem to remember putting them the same way as the other side, but it was months ago now so I can't really remember.

As I said they sound fine, but my OCD has me worrying now if one side is actually out of phase, and if this is even possible on such a thing? I mean it'd be like connecting a speaker the wrong way around surely?

Was just wondering if there is an easy way to test, I have the wiring diagram, would have to peel the little labels off the headphones again and totally dismantle them if I wanted to check that's all.

I asked someone before more knowledgeable than me and he just said 'use a multimeter' which is fair enough, but the wiring diagram no matter how simple, confuses me to begin with.

So just asking if it would actually make a difference first off and then I'll decide to open them up again and check. cheers!

k240.png

These are the wires I'm talking about (not my photo)
http://imageshack.us/f/178/1494913xh9.jpg/

I've read from here that the wiring is as follows:
Red = Right +
White = Right -
Yellow = Left +
Blue = Left -

But it'd be nice to find out which way +/- is on the actual driver!

Any help would be great! thanks, I love the K240 Sextett and hope I have soldered the connector the correct way around!
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #750 of 1,737
I guess I'll have to strip them down and take a look again. I hope I can see which one I resoldered, probably the worse looking one hehe, cheers for the info.

Hopefully I can see which is +/- on the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back