AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jun 17, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #46 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one thing I can see doing is recabling the puny cable, but then again, who's to guarantee the current "magic" won't be lost?

i have cardas smurf-blue 4X24 headphone cable on one of my sextets, it sounds like whoa. i also put on the neutrik 4-pin xlr, for easy connection to many amps.

being somewhat "in love" with the single entry for convenience i left the cans this way.

yes, i put a $60 cable on a $60 headphone, and it sounds quite nice. perhaps a "brighter" cable would have done better (braided silver plated copper) but anything is a vast improvement over stock.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #47 of 1,737
Quote:

LOL, why on earth would I change something when it ain't broke? I don't really care if my Sextett sounds that way due to various aging issues, etc. Yeah, the bass is a bit shy side of neutral, but to me this is much better than bass a bit heavy side of neutral. Notice I don't own any Senns
smily_headphones1.gif

The one thing I can see doing is recabling the puny cable, but then again, who's to guarantee the current "magic" won't be lost?

Because the foam inside the earcups literally disintegrates and might muck up the driver or something... at the very least you should take it out and clean it. The earpads, if they are not crumbling and are comfortable to you, then you could keep them if you like. The elastics as I understand keep the clamping force and headband stable while you are wearing them, if they have gone bad that might actually explain the bass light sound...

Also you should replace the parts and/or take a picture of the disc and driver, in the event that you have one that Fitz does not have, it should be documented.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #48 of 1,737
After a lot more listening, I'm happy to report that K240 Sextetts are the real deal.

Yes, you do need great source and amp, but this thing is silly good. Compared to most current 'phones including AKG's own K701, There's just a sense of more direct connection with the music without clutter, bells and whistles, artificial speaker-like presentation, and yes, "veil."
smily_headphones1.gif

It continues to sadden me to see the major headphone manufacturers apparently go backwards. It's been downhill since Grado's HP1000, Senn's HE90/60, and now AKG's K240 Sextett..

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #50 of 1,737
Quote:

After a lot more listening, I'm happy to report that K240 Sextetts are the real deal.

See! Maybe now people will stop thinking I'm crazy.

Or maybe not.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #51 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See! Maybe now people will stop thinking I'm crazy.

Or maybe not.

I saw a NOS Sextett Cardin in Brady Bunch orange break the $100 mark on
ebay recently.
Someone likes them.
k1000smile.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #54 of 1,737
Funny you mention Sextet's coming to life with amplification like they do. For what they are they scale up amazingly well.

When I got my K501, HD600, K701, SR225 they all put the K240 to shame, by comparison it sounded muddy, dull, blah. But since I have been using mine with my PINT as my bedphones, I am amazed at their abilities.
Now I am not certain where I'd place them in the line-up, but they have moved up a notch or two.

Had I gotten the PINT prior to buying any other cans, I may have simply stayed put . . . . well, maybe
tongue.gif

I bought mine brand new in 197_ (I think 4, 5 or 6 ) and for the $75 I paid back then, they have surely been my best value in headphones.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #55 of 1,737
I have 2 pairs of Sextets with white radiators. I've not done any comparative listening since one pair is at work and the other is at home, plus I'm pretty sure that the pair at home needs new foam inside the ear cup. The one visible difference between the two is that one has 4 separate cables in a bundle and the other has one ribbed cable.

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #56 of 1,737
To add another version to the mix, I just got my K242 from France. It is a French market version of the K240 sextett, and it is completely identical to my favourite middle production version, except it says "K242" instead of "K240", and the shell on the 1/4" plug is grey instead of black. The K242 seems to be much more obscure than the K240, so I don't know yet if it had all of the K240's production variations.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #58 of 1,737
Hmm, looks like the story with the K242 may not be as simple as I thought. After listening for a while I think there may actually be some differences in sound between it and the mid production K240. I'll have to look into this tomorrow if I get a chance, since I'm quite tired and don't really trust my own impressions yet.

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #60 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any visual differences with the driver or radiators?

No visual differences, which is why I made the statement that it was identical to the mid production K240. Turns out the headphones are indeed identical, and the real issue was the used pads I put on the K242 (the ones that came with it I was afraid to even touch). I thought they were still good enough to use, but it turns out not to be the case. I got measurable differences between the phones, which reversed when I swapped the pads between them. Measuring them in free air (eliminating the seal of the pads) gave nearly identical results, but still had some small differences depending on which had which pads. I took the pads off entirely and then they both measured exactly the same.

I have now taken the newer pads from the K240 and put them onto the K242. The sound is now exactly how I know the mid production K240 to sound, so I will have to see if I have any better pads somewhere that I can use until I get more new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back