AKG K240 MKII vs. BD DT770 Pro 80ohms
Jul 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sakageshinga

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently purchased two sets of cans for about $160 CAD each and here's what I liked and disliked about each of them.  Please keep in mind that I'm listening to them primarily on the go and on my iPod Classic.

SkullCandy Aviators
    Like: relatively large soundstage (compared to latter) // in-your-face mids & highs // comfortable to wear
    Dislike: slightly weak bass // mids & highs not as refined as latter // somewhat cheap construction

ATH-M50
    Like: crystal clear sound // great, tight bass (not boomy) // excellent construction quality
    Dislike: recessed mids (less in-your-face) and sounds less exciting than former // not quite as comfortable to wear longterm

In the end, I've returned both sets of cans and I'm now bumping my budget up to $220 CAD with tax included.  In this price range, I've found two set of cans that I'd like to get your thoughts on.

1. AGK K240 MKII
2. Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms

I've heard great things about both, but I'm more concerned with NOT having recessed mids and would like to have more of the in-your-face vocals.  Good bass is great, so long as it's tight and not boomy.

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 7
1. Soundstage and "in your face" are the same thing. Aviators have no soundstage and the bass lack badly like a earbud

2. The mids aren't "recessed". they are just behind the bass and treble. Adjust your EQ to bring the mids forward

3. Both those cans need an amp. I'm saying this because the K240 needs an amp, and the DT770 does better with an amp.

4. Those headphones will not be good for a portable and best for home use.

5. Senn HD25-1 ii will suit you fine. $200, great sound, portable and need NO amp.

btw: K240 are balanced, DT770 are more for rock. You'll be bored with both.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 7
I own both K240 MK II and ATH M50. I have listened to my colleague's DT770 80ohm. 

I love my K240 but they are VERY sensitive to amplification. They will not work at their best with an ipod. I use a portable amplifier with mine. Without one, the sounded muffled and dead. Now I have good tight bass and especially awesome mids. With equal amplification I prefer their mids to those of the DT770.

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Heya,

I have the DT770 Pro. Mids are recessed. It's a basshead can. It's a great basshead can. But if you're looking for more of the mids, you should look to the more neutral cousin... the DT880, not the DT770. DT770 and DT990 are more bassy. The DT880 will give you what you want.

And someone mentioned DT770 Pro's for rock. I would say that's not really correct. DT770's are more for electronica. Rock is something that is going to be enjoyed more on something with good mids/highs. The DT770 Pro is a basshead can with bright treble and recessed mids. That's electro's stomping ground. DT770's are great for hiphop, house, dub, etc. Again, they're great headphones. But they're not for you if you need forward mids.

Again, for Beyers, check out the DT880 line.

Very best,

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Heya,

I have the DT770 Pro. Mids are recessed. It's a basshead can. It's a great basshead can. But if you're looking for more of the mids, you should look to the more neutral cousin... the DT880, not the DT770. DT770 and DT990 are more bassy. The DT880 will give you what you want.

And someone mentioned DT770 Pro's for rock. I would say that's not really correct. DT770's are more for electronica. Rock is something that is going to be enjoyed more on something with good mids/highs. The DT770 Pro is a basshead can with bright treble and recessed mids. That's electro's stomping ground. DT770's are great for hiphop, house, dub, etc. Again, they're great headphones. But they're not for you if you need forward mids.

Again, for Beyers, check out the DT880 line.

Very best,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately the DT880s at my local stores are a bit out of my current budget.  Thanks still though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back