AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,219 of 1,489
Just a quick update on how I feel about these after ten days.

My biggest complaint was build quality, but now I'm not bothered. Sure, it still feels like it might break whenever I put them on, but the plastic reliefs seem sturdy and the hinges looks to be fairly durable. Also, all that rigidity in the headband and hinges actually makes me more comfortable treating them like everyday cans, similar to how I treated my M50s back in the day. After upgrading to $300+ headphones I've been really babying my cans and I've forgotten what a relief it is to be able to just throw them in my bag and not worry about every bump and scratch.

I think the SQ has been pretty much covered by everyone here. I absolutely love how these sound... But I can see why some call these "unnatural," something about the mids sounds a bit sterile... I'm listening to a cover of "Landslide" and there's some cello plucking at the beginning that sounds a bit off compared to the timbre I get from the K701 or the SRH1840. On the other hand, there's something about these that make them very well suited for electronic/dubstep/vocaloid (yes, I listen to that weird stuff).

Finally, there's some people complaining that the earpads are not thick enough and that their ears touch the drivers. I also had this problem, but I sort of remedied it by reducing the adjustment notches by a couple clicks on each side and letting the bottom of the pads rest on the lower end of my ear. This allows more room for the rest of the ear and I can wear these for 2-3 hours without a problem.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,220 of 1,489
Quote:
Beagle i will post some thoughts about MDR1R vs K167 after my pair arrives. I can say already that I find the K550 to be more revealing than the 1R. From a bass perspective I think they have similar amounts of bass with the K550 winning in impact and the 1R having more rumble. The mids are both clear and present but the 1R is a bit more forward and warmer sounding. The treble is brighter and,sharper on the K550. The 1R on the other hand is never fatiguing. Sound stage is good,on both but i think the K550 is a bit larger.
Technically I think the K550 is better from a detail perspective.
Comfort and portability go easily to the 1R though and,i think it's cable system is very good.
I know the K550 is not the same headphone as the K167 but since you have owned both headphones I thought this might give you some food for thought.

Thank you. That helps a lot. That was a clear and concise comparison. I think I owe the 1R another audition. I'm very curious. The 1R sounds like a "frown" EQ.

Quote:
I am really sorry if my post came across like that, it wasn't my intent for sure. But it is funny the way you put it.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 I wuz jus' funnin' ya for the typo 

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,221 of 1,489
Bigsby got me interested in the DT770 32 Ohms LE now haha. I'm debating on these headphones now cause they both seem really really similar. The DT's seem more professional although the k167's do have a bit more portability and style to them. The sound on the DT's seem a bit better for my taste. I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up with but it's gonna be a tough choice for sure.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #1,222 of 1,489
Quote:
Bigsby got me interested in the DT770 32 Ohms LE now haha. I'm debating on these headphones now cause they both seem really really similar. The DT's seem more professional although the k167's do have a bit more portability and style to them. The sound on the DT's seem a bit better for my taste. I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up with but it's gonna be a tough choice for sure.

+1

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #1,223 of 1,489

My biggest complaint was build quality, but now I'm not bothered. Sure, it still feels like it might break whenever I put them on, but the plastic reliefs seem sturdy and the hinges looks to be fairly durable. Also, all that rigidity in the headband and hinges actually makes me more comfortable treating them like everyday cans, similar to how I treated my M50s back in the day. After upgrading to $300+ headphones I've been really babying my cans and I've forgotten what a relief it is to be able to just throw them in my bag and not worry about every bump and scratch.

I think the SQ has been pretty much covered by everyone here. I absolutely love how these sound... But I can see why some call these "unnatural," something about the mids sounds a bit sterile... I'm listening to a cover of "Landslide" and there's some cello plucking at the beginning that sounds a bit off compared to the timbre I get from the K701 or the SRH1840. On the other hand, there's something about these that make them very well suited for electronic/dubstep/vocaloid (yes, I listen to that weird stuff).

Finally, there's some people complaining that the earpads are not thick enough and that their ears touch the drivers. I also had this problem, but I sort of remedied it by reducing the adjustment notches by a couple clicks on each side and letting the bottom of the pads rest on the lower end of my ear. This allows more room for the rest of the ear and I can wear these for 2-3 hours without a problem.

I agree with pretty much everything youve said. Ive modded my pads by adding another layer of foam with not much improvement though. I get a good hour or so until my ears get irritated

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,224 of 1,489
Quote:

From headfonia: The special thing about the anniversary DT770 is that it’s more than a simple tweak. The pleather pads bring down the tonality to make it darker than the standard DT770. The bass is a little boomy, unfortunately..

Minarets opinion on DT770 250ohm vs k167: Its clarity was not as good as the K167 to me. The voices were not as crisp, but I didn't mind what I was hearing.

Get it

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #1,225 of 1,489
Quote:

Qtip inside doesn't help?

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,226 of 1,489
Quote:

From headfonia: The special thing about the anniversary DT770 is that it’s more than a simple tweak. The pleather pads bring down the tonality to make it darker than the standard DT770. The bass is a little boomy, unfortunately..

Minarets opinion on DT770 250ohm vs k167: Its clarity was not as good as the K167 to me. The voices were not as crisp, but I didn't mind what I was hearing.

Get it

Get the K167's or DT770 LE's? The bass seems pretty perfect imo.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #1,228 of 1,489
I also bought the 250 which is like a tighter 80ohm 770 pro. I guess I just love dt770 sound. After listening to miows playlist with all cans I recon he would like the 32le or 250ohm Dt over the k167. But you gotta try to be sure.

I disagree with the vocal comment. I think with the right amp things change dramatically. I'm not sure an e11 is enough power to do anything other than make music louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back