AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,231 of 1,489
The LE are fantastic, only concern is after burn in they do change a bit much. The tame which is great for some people, but the over all effect wasn't to my personal liking compared to other 770. I still would have kept them for sure as they are very very good cans, but I had a fault in the headband and I had to return them. I still have the 250 pro and will be springing for some signature pro or DJ in the future and a pair of the new fischer audio coming out mid jan that I'm SUPER pumped for!

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,232 of 1,489
The LE are fantastic, only concern is after burn in they do change a bit much. The tame which is great for some people, but the over all effect wasn't to my personal liking compared to other 770. I still would have kept them for sure as they are very very good cans, but I had a fault in the headband and I had to return them. I still have the 250 pro and will be springing for some signature pro or DJ in the future and a pair of the new fischer audio coming out mid jan that I'm SUPER pumped for!

I think I may spring for some 250 ohm.....

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,236 of 1,489
The other cable was so dark. What I've been missing...
confused_face_2.gif

I can't even imagine if I recable the headphone with the same silver cable. I think I'll do it.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,237 of 1,489
Based on this thread I bought the AKG K167s and found them (acoustically) everything that was stated so far in this thread. Incredible sound for the price. Clear and detailed with solid low end and excellent isolation. I have to agree that all of the accolades here are true.

Unfortunately, the build quality and ear cup comfort led me to return the headphones after 2 weeks of use. The headband is very cheap, consisting of multiple plastic parts with minimal padding over a narrow metal headband that twists on the head. The low quality ear cup foam deforms/sags quickly -- causing pressure point discomfort withing 20 minutes on my head (medium hat and helmet size). If AKG has another phone with a similar sound signature and better build, I would buy it (K267s looks similarly cheap in materials).

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,238 of 1,489
Based on this thread I bought the AKG K167s and found them (acoustically) everything that was stated so far in this thread. Incredible sound for the price. Clear and detailed with solid low end and excellent isolation. I have to agree that all of the accolades here are true.

Unfortunately, the build quality and ear cup comfort led me to return the headphones after 2 weeks of use. The headband is very cheap, consisting of multiple plastic parts with minimal padding over a narrow metal headband that twists on the head. The low quality ear cup foam deforms/sags quickly -- causing pressure point discomfort withing 20 minutes on my head (medium hat and helmet size). If AKG has another phone with a similar sound signature and better build, I would buy it (K267s looks similarly cheap in materials).

How are you able to return them after using them? I'm thinking about returning them for the exact same reason as you.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,239 of 1,489
I would buy these but the only thing stopping me is the K550s.
I know they both have a good sound quality, but do they have pros and cons or do the K167 surpass the K550 in every department possible?
Also the build quality, I know this has been said before, and I know that the K167 are built very well even though they're plastic, but are the K550s made better?
Which one is better in isolation?
Which one has more bass?

Which one is more portable?

From the pictures I found of the K167 (that are not renderings), I feel like they're thick. Like both the pads and the clamp make it too wide...

Thanks for the attention.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,240 of 1,489
Quote:
I would buy these but the only thing stopping me is the K550s.
I know they both have a good sound quality, but do they have pros and cons or do the K167 surpass the K550 in every department possible?
Also the build quality, I know this has been said before, and I know that the K167 are built very well even though they're plastic, but are the K550s made better?

I'd say the K550 is the better sounding headphone overall. It has the better midrange and is more open on top. K550 has better build. K167 has faster, clearer bass and a more consistent fit. Both isolate about the same. But they are not miles apart in most categories and one would need to compare them on their own ears in order to be sure.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,241 of 1,489
For me, the 550 need a good seal to sound decent and I spent more time trying to get that fit it wasn't worth it.
The 167 are no doubt more analytical than dj style headphones , but if you like to hear every detail, the 167 are for you. I owned the 550 for about 3 days but they were muddy to me. The 167 have no fit issues as you hear the same from the phones regardless of fit. Yes, the 550 are better made but I felt like that was what I paid more for vs the 167. I thought the 167 sounded way better and for 100 less. I don't see their build as poor, just not what it could/should be. However, I am not rough on my equipment.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,243 of 1,489
Can someone tell me how to fold these, I cannot figure it out lol. No folding my Q701's so this is a first for me, folding headphones, mind = blown :). No but really, I am unable to figure out how to fold them

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,245 of 1,489
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643TML2WCxQ

From 0:35 seconds :wink:

Merry Xmas!

THANKS!!! Will fit in carry on to Jamaica tommorrow hehe, Q701's were not so great for fitting, or for the plane ride either lol. Also, you can make them flatter I just realized, make one end fully extended, and rotate both cups 90 degrees, with the short one folded to the middle :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back