AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,186 of 1,489
Quote:

I'm looking for headphones with deep bass with clear mids and highs. Would you suggest the MDR-1R or the K167? I've ruled out the Momentums.

More than 1 member have said the MDR-1R don't have as much sub bass as the K167's and one said that bass is quite good, but not that clear and deeply punchy as in the 167s. They also seem to be not as detailed as the 167s. That put me off for an A/B. No longer interested on those, but the V-Moda M-100s and JVC FXZ200 (triple dynamic driver IEM).

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #1,187 of 1,489
Quote:

I found it a bit rude to suggest the poster leave the thread and have a bowel movement.

I am really sorry if my post came across like that, it wasn't my intent for sure. But it is funny the way you put it.
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,188 of 1,489
hey guys im a noob in the audiophile world but as a DJ and now starting to make my own productions i made an unboxing if anyone wants to see how they actually look and function / packaged 

so far im really liking them, the bass is as punchy as people say it is. i definitely like them amped a lot better then un amped and the harsh high's went away with 4 hours of pink house burn in. hopefully the rest just keeps getting better. they are SO DAMN COMFTY and the build quality is not as bad as people made it out to be AT ALL !. these are really solid all around and my favorite part is the huge soundstage at this price is unbeatable 

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,190 of 1,489
Can I vote that typo of the year?  Assuming by Andrew's follow-up it seemed like the 'move onE' was a typo... but makes me want to go and... uh.. nevermind. 
L3000.gif

Quote:
I am really sorry if my post came across like that, it wasn't my intent for sure. But it is funny the way you put it.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
now move one and let others speak out. 

Quote:
..bit rude to suggest the poster leave the thread and have a bowel movement.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,191 of 1,489
Beagle i will post some thoughts about MDR1R vs K167 after my pair arrives. I can say already that I find the K550 to be more revealing than the 1R. From a bass perspective I think they have similar amounts of bass with the K550 winning in impact and the 1R having more rumble. The mids are both clear and present but the 1R is a bit more forward and warmer sounding. The treble is brighter and,sharper on the K550. The 1R on the other hand is never fatiguing. Sound stage is good,on both but i think the K550 is a bit larger.

Technically I think the K550 is better from a detail perspective.

Comfort and portability go easily to the 1R though and,i think it's cable system is very good.

I know the K550 is not the same headphone as the K167 but since you have owned both headphones I thought this might give you some food for thought.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #1,192 of 1,489
Quote:

I'm looking for headphones with deep bass with clear mids and highs. Would you suggest the MDR-1R or the K167? I've ruled out the Momentums.

I found it a bit rude to suggest the poster leave the thread and have a bowel movement. I voiced my feelings about the K167 here and thought I was fair. I really like it but it is not perfect, nor would I expect it to be. It is not for everybody but it does make listening a lot of fun, which is a large part of musical enjoyment.

IMO you won't be happy with the 1R's if you are looking for deep bass and clear highs. They deliver really good, clear and dominant mids. But because of that, these "massive" mids are masking the highs and also the deep bass representation suffers from this dominance. I like a huge soundstage and the 1R's do not deliver. As I said before, especially electronic music with forwardly produced voices are enjoyable with the Sony's and you feel "closer", even somewhat intimidated by the thickness due to their sound signature. If you like that, give them a try. But I can tell you, if you also like the sound signature of the K167, you'll miss the sublime airyness and timing. Just my 2c.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,193 of 1,489
Just got my AKG K167!!!

I won't go into details, but in general the sound is just perfect. I'm totally noticing the subbass miow is referring to.

Isolation is perfect, leakage isn't non-existent but it's not too much.

One thing that's bothering me though is that my ears are touching the pads just enough to get annoying.. Anyone else experiencing this?

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,198 of 1,489
Quote:

Would cotton and tape really block that much out? I'll try and form some kind of plastic and just glue it stuck somehow.

The openings are small, any material will block conciderably. So yea it would, you can always apply several layers of tape if necessary but I don't think it's a necessity. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,200 of 1,489
Sorry, yeah there is a hole that can be seen once you pop off the Tiesto logo.  It goes all the way through to the inside.  That center cylinder is used to hold the rubber damper in place so that is less vibration too.

Also...the Tiesto cap fits perfectly over the convex Audio Technica logo haha.  I got Tiesto's under the hood son. (Not glued on yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back