AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 15, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #1,007 of 1,489
Quote:
IMO sound is very very subjective. Sure to my ears the ue 6000 has better bass but its a bit bloated compared to the Akg but my ears like bloated bass and rolled off highs but the vocals are much better on the ue6000's. Also to my ears edm was way to harsh on the akg's.

Quote:
Okay. I'm sorry with my nooby comments and questions guys but I just need a bit more advice.
I have the HD 25-1 ii's right now but I don't feel immersed in my music like I wish I could. The sound quality is decent though and I was looking at these new akgs as a solution but you guys are scaring me with the comments about the build. I'm still in high school and I'm probably going to be taking these headphones with me everyday and I'm afraid an accident will happen and I'll be ****ed.
I listen to a lot of metal, rap, and a bit of edm. My music isn't too bass heavy but I like it clear. It'd be nice to have the vocals sound crisp as well since screams sound stupid on certain headphones lol.
Would you guys still reccomend these for me or should I be looking at the ue6000's or something else?
(I still don't own an amp but I honestly can't afford over $60 on one if needed.)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would suggest auditioning the V-Moda M-100 based on your descriptions of your preferred sound.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,008 of 1,489
Anyone know of a place in Melbourne (Australia) where i can try m100's? My sister in law just fell in love with my K167, and threatened to take them on her next visit as after i told her about burn in she said she would rather just buy mine (thanks!?). So guess i will be buying another pair, or waiting 2 weeks or so for the k267.

I think i will end up with more K167, but i would like to go somewhere (once the 267 is out) and compare all three for you guys with photos and more detail, and maybe even a second pair of ears. If theres any other cans youd like to add to the comparison just let me know. My usual haunt tells me they will have the 267 around jan 11-15 at the worst, but in a week or so at the best.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,009 of 1,489
So, I can finally voice opinion on their versatility with traveling.

As stated before they isolated a little too well to point I couldn't hear the real world at the airport once my music started going, even with it low its hard to hear anything. That said... I almost missed final boarding call because of it.

While I was waiting I walked around sitting to different people and told them to tap my shoulder once they heard my music. I put it to 60 on itouch and they started to hear it minimally at 3 on the fiio e11. Which is damn loud anyways... Which also made my isolation test with the dummy accurate.

In flight it drowns out all sounds but a almost subtle noise from plane engines itself... The cans require amping if using an airline adapter to watch onboard movie programs as it lost a majority of body against unamped music players even.

They were comfy to wear the entire 14 hours and they fold so I was able to easily stow it away. The top band attracts grime though... It was a mistake hanging it from chair rest anyways.

It also... Came in contact with snow when I tripped and they're still working perfectly so that's a good thing.

Sent From My Thunderbolt with Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,012 of 1,489
Thanks Lily. I fly a lot for work so that's positive to read. I haven't yet to listen for long periods of time with the 167. Only for about a hour, at the longest. So far, I am really enjoying mine + e11.

Still curious about the 267s though.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,013 of 1,489
I bought the m100 for a family member and I will B ordering these this weekend for myself, but I bet in a weeks time there will be more comparisons. .
We do need more pics though.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,016 of 1,489
Well, what causes this amazng driver shaking (ear massage) is SONY's Clear Bass + amping. If I disable Clear Bass, I got half this effect, so I don't know if you can get these "basshead" levels with other player. Drivers shake even with pop/rock, whatever genre you put in, but this is due to Clear Bass (EQ). Now just imagine with EDM. But this is SONY's Clear Bass power (plus JDS C421's Bass Boost). But boy, I'm having a kind of XB700 experience
L3000.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,017 of 1,489
Wiped down my babies and noticed it has procured a scratch on the outside section of the silver ring... So they might scratch easily paintwise...then again I don't know if this happened when I threw them at my wall few days back Though akg has always sucked with that half the k830 aren't properly painted...

Sent From My Thunderbolt with Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #1,018 of 1,489
Quote:

Y'know, that is a good question. When I go to the K550 after using the K167, they sound remarkable similar in the mids and treble. After a bit, I find the K167 bass a bit tighter and more distinct, and the treble a bit less bright and sharp. But the K550 may have a slight edge in the midrange. I still think the K167 is a tighter sonic package and the fit is comfy and precise, no shifting. But the K550 looks so nice..

ARRRRGGGGHH!!!!

Hey Beagle, between the K550 and the K167, which one do you think have a flatter frequency responce? Also, which one has the bigger soundstage? Thanks.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,020 of 1,489
So should I go for the K550, the K267 or the K167? Sorry If I keep asking this but I really need an answer.
Do K550 have any sound/isolation/build advantages over the K167 and viceversa? What about compared to the K267? 

@raytraceme Are those you're selling K167 or K267? How much are yiu selling them for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back