AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #976 of 1,489
I hope you're wrong.  Mine will be here Monday.  

I retract that prior statement. Honestly, after reading the 60 or so pages before I bought these yesterday I was expecting them to sound incredible, straight out of the box. They do have distortion. From what users who have actually ran the burn-in process, it will change the sound drastically.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #977 of 1,489
Source/bad recordings/conversions. They are so revealing that you need to use MP3 Gain to reduce distortion on those MP3's. I had to do it with alot of bad stuff I got here. Now they sound 100% clean.

All sources are very high quality. Either lossless or 320 mp3 quality. I should know better to say that the headphones would sound great out of the box. Most of the higher quality headphones and iems I've purchased have all changed for the better after burn-in, and hours or play.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #978 of 1,489
Can't decide between K267, K167 and K550.

Which one is the most portable and which one is the least portable?
How long is the cable in the Tiestos? Is it gold plated?
Which is bigger and which is smaller?
Which isolates best and which isolates worst?

Again, for the size, pics would be the best comparison unfortunately, against other popular headphones.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #979 of 1,489
Quote:
All sources are very high quality. Either lossless or 320 mp3 quality. I should know better to say that the headphones would sound great out of the box. Most of the higher quality headphones and iems I've purchased have all changed for the better after burn-in, and hours or play.

No matter if they're 320k MP3. They have distortion due to bad conversions. You have to pass them thru MP3gain and reduce from 100%, etc to 89%. Bye distortion.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #981 of 1,489
Quote:
I retract that prior statement. Honestly, after reading the 60 or so pages before I bought these yesterday I was expecting them to sound incredible, straight out of the box. They do have distortion. From what users who have actually ran the burn-in process, it will change the sound drastically.

Good to hear-- I will be doing A/B listening against the DT 990 when I receive mine.  The 990s are extremely detailed-- I'm not looking for the 167 to surpass them necessarily, but if they can come close, plus being sealed and portable, that will make them keepers.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #982 of 1,489
In this case, the distortion has more to do with the actual headphones rather than any gain or source. Using my other headphones the quality of files I use all sound clean and distortion free while still expressing their sound signature.

Your attention to detail is acknowledged!

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #983 of 1,489
I've got to say, isolation is very good. Build is ok. It's not plastically tough like Sennheiser HD25s which can be treated rough. But unless you are absolutely careless with your equipment, the build of the 167s are good. Cheesy silver dots and the Tiesto wings set the headphones back slightly...

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #984 of 1,489
Quote:
In this case, the distortion has more to do with the actual headphones rather than any gain or source. Using my other headphones the quality of files I use all sound clean and distortion free while still expressing their sound signature.
Your attention to detail is acknowledged!

So, my friend, they must be defective ... Mines do not distort, I'm EQ'ing bass to the limits.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #985 of 1,489
if they are still distorting with 10 more hours on them, i would be repackaging and returning them. from your earlier posts it sonds like you were a littel rough out of the box, but still they should handle it. Mine have never distorted at any point. Although i do hear a badly converted download as mentioned above.

By the way, the ninja tune back catalogue, which i have heard so much over the years i never even look at it anymore, has NEVER sounded this good! Its like they made the music for these cans!

Im thinking of getting the Aune T1 for work, what do you guys think? I have the e17, and they are pretty much at the same or similar price point- is it worth doing or should i just stick to the e17 and try to internalise my gear addiction for a few more months. (bought the e17 2 days ago).

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #987 of 1,489
I don't believe that you should hear any distortion even before burn-in. I received mine this morning and just have a quick 5 minute session so it's way to early for me to comment but the sound didn't distorted out of my DACmini.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #988 of 1,489
Mine, even out of the box sounded pretty damn good. Again. They were a little on the spikey side with their treble, but apple earbuds, they were not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back