AKG K1000 - Possible return to production
Jan 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #106 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And whatever they do. DON'T TRY TO ADD BASS qautity. It jackes up 95% of headphones out there. I like quality not low end blubber and the K-1000 has some of the best bass out there
wink.gif

I could not agree more. Artificially boosted bass is the new "normal" and it ruins most headphones.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #107 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And whatever they do. DON'T TRY TO ADD BASS qautity. It jackes up 95% of headphones out there. I like quality not low end blubber and the K-1000 has some of the best bass out there
wink.gif

You mean quality or quantity?
I would prefer less bass rolloff (below ~40hz), but besides that the bass is just perfect and not to be messed with. Punch, accuracy, control, ...

That said I would be perfectly happy with AKG just reviving the K1000 as is, without any changes.
k1000smile.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #108 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An updated K1000 with a different look would be pretty sweet. I'd buy one.

I'm confused by this! What's not to like about the "look" of the K-1000?!?!?!
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #109 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean quality or quantity?
I would prefer less bass rolloff (below ~40hz), but besides that the bass is just perfect and not to be messed with. Punch, accuracy, control, ...

That said I would be perfectly happy with AKG just reviving the K1000 as is, without any changes.
k1000smile.gif

Quantity - fixed. Thanks for catching that.
redface.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #110 of 159
I have had my eye on these, might be an oddball question but since they look to be as open as open can get has anyone paired these with an actual subwoofer? Since it looks like you are basically wearing two speakers without any padding to block out any sound.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #111 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my eye on these, might be an oddball question but since they look to be as open as open can get has anyone paired these with an actual subwoofer? Since it looks like you are basically wearing two speakers without any padding to block out any sound.

Not an oddball question at all...there have been quite a number of K1K owners who have paired them with a small subwoofer. If one is happy with the extra equipment, the results seem to be worth it.

I have not really noticed a lack of bass in my early SN so I have not personally tried the sub combo. I find that the majority of recordings have fairly limited information below about 40 hz which is where I first really become aware of rolloff on my phones.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #112 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not an oddball question at all...there have been quite a number of K1K owners who have paired them with a small subwoofer. If one is happy with the extra equipment, the results seem to be worth it.

I have not really noticed a lack of bass in my early SN so I have not personally tried the sub combo. I find that the majority of recordings have fairly limited information below about 40 hz which is where I first really become aware of rolloff on my phones.

Sounds like a nice idea then, especially with Dolby Headphone + Movies and Games. Hopefully I can scrounge enough money for a pair + amp capable of driving them in the near future.

But yea for music I don't miss a dedicated sub at all, my current headphones does a great job at that.

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #113 of 159
Double Post,  Bumping this thread.  Any new information on this someone is forgetting to add?
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//wink.gif" title="
wink.gif
" width="" />

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #114 of 159
Called today for parts info and they asked me to do a survey on how good the K1000 are any why I liked them or not. I said to them they are one of a kind and nothing currently that AKG is making can satisfy me like K1000 can. Then I told them to quit messing around and make some more.

So if they do make more everyone can thank me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #115 of 159

If we see them within the next year the shrine is being prepared.  Even compared to the other electrostatics these seem the most speaker like since there is no pads to get in the way of natural crossfeed
wink.gif
Quote:
Called today for parts info and they asked me to do a survey on how good the K1000 are any why I liked them or not. I said to them they are one of a kind and nothing currently that AKG is making can satisfy me like K1000 can. Then I told them to quit messing around and make some more.

" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />   

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #116 of 159

Quote:

" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />   

Intresting, might indicate that they are actually considering a return or something similar... Or it means nothing
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #117 of 159
 well I was thinking exactly the same thing, if enough of these "surveys" or request were make it might get them to reconsider some things. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #118 of 159
OT, but I have to ask somewhere. Has anyone semi-critically compared a K1000 with and without the PCB boards on the drivers? Is there some one daring enough to bypass the circuitry and check for me to see if there are any sonic benefits of the PCB's? I seem to get distortion when playing relatively bass heavy passages at high volume on my K1k drivers. Normal? Under-amplification? No PCB's?
tongue.gif
I sent a few PM's to people, but either got no response, or they just didn't know.

Thanks for any and all help, guys.

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #119 of 159
Hey If AKG or Harman Industries or whomever is the owner of the K1K rights is listening or cares...bring back your high end earspeaker....please. Bring 'em back and give the people what they want and what they need.  K701s/K702s, while extremely nice, cannot be AKG's/Harman's final word....you gotta have a High End offering.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #120 of 159

I doubt that there will be another,not that it matters to Harman International Industries who have there fingers in lots of audio pies.

The profits from a higher end phone would not be worth thinking about compared with what they sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back