AKG K1000 - Possible return to production
Jan 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #91 of 159
To me the K1000, the MarkL Modded Denon, and the Sony Qualia are the best dynamic headphones I have ever listened too. The drivers in the K1000 are still in production since they are used in the various rides of Disney World.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #92 of 159
I'm going to CES but my hopes for an AKG unveiling are zero given that they're not listed as an exhibitor and we haven't heard anything yet.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #93 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The drivers in the K1000 are still in production since they are used in the various rides of Disney World.

Whoa crazy random fact of the day. I'm curious:can you elaborate?

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #95 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the K1000, the MarkL Modded Denon, and the Sony Qualia are the best dynamic headphones I have ever listened too. The drivers in the K1000 are still in production since they are used in the various rides of Disney World.

I knew they were still in production but I forget how. I remember a head-fier tried to make his own custom k1000's using them.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #96 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa crazy random fact of the day. I'm curious:can you elaborate?

After contacting AKG in California while looking for a driver for my K1000 (damaged) I was referred to their service center in Tennessee. I spoke with the AKG repair center and he informed me that the drivers are used in several rides at Disney World.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #97 of 159
Are they necessarily still in active production, or is there simply backstock to support existing owners, particularly large customers like Disney?

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #98 of 159
The K1000 is something I would never trade away at this moment. And the magic moment's been continuing since last summer.
smily_headphones1.gif
I honestly think no other headphone can never ever match the sheer funniness. If I was given the choice to sell K1000 (and never buying it again) and receive in compensation some of the sharpest headphones in the markets (HD800, JH13, Ω2) for free, I would hesitate a lot. Oddly enough, I also enjoy Stax more than ever. Paradoxically I love both of my headphones more than anything else. In different times, of course. I would very much love the comeback so I could buy spares after spares.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #99 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they necessarily still in active production, or is there simply backstock to support existing owners, particularly large customers like Disney?

That I do not know, however considering the number of rides among all their theme parks domestic and abroad I would think there should be enough to last a few years. Maybe more than a decade.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #100 of 159
With no AKG on the exhibitors list it does not look all that promising.
I just know that AKG mentioned CES 2010 as a possible venue when I contacted then in April last year regarding a K1000 successor.

Email:
Quote:

Hi,
I am a huge fan of your K1000 headphone. Which sadly went out of production some 3 1/2 years ago, without getting a successor.
Sad to say, but the K701/K702 is not up to its sound quality level.

Now that your competitors Sennheiser, Grado and Ultrasone have announced/released new top-of-the-line models I sure hope you have something up the sleeve as well. If not, I ask you kindly to consider it.
Either by reviving the K1000, which in my opinion are up there sound wise, or come up with a worthy successor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for taking the time reading this email.

Best regards
xxx

Answer:
Quote:

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for contacting AKG and for your friendly words about our K 1000.
We plan to launch a successor of the K 701 in foreseeable time, possibly CES 2010.

Kind regards

Horst Werner
AKG hotline
hotline@akg.com

CES 2010 opens tomorrow though, so lets see...
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #101 of 159
Hmm, will have to follow CES 2010.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #104 of 159
Ok so this is a remake of the K1000 if I am correct, so that thing with AKG K1000 RIP is all out of the window and forgotten, basically their going to re-intriuce a new K1000 who knows it might look different, sound different etc.

I wonder if AKG are purposely doing this to get back to Senns for their 800 series headphone, maybe not.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #105 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omg...a new version of my favorite headphone??? that'd be awesome!

X2

It would not make good business sense unless they can get Disney and other commercial enterprises to use the speakers in decent quantities. I'm not sure if they are still supplying them or not. This little niche market isn't worth the overhead IMO. Like Duggeh mentioned the K701 price range is where the profit is at. They should just make a musical K701 and fix it's other problems if profit is their motivation. The market is already saturated with overpriced headphones. Just look at the insane amount of custom IEMs coming out every few months.

But this is the most promising news I've heard anyway. I bought mine brand new from a local audio dealer before they ran out permanently, but I would like others to be able to enjoy them like I have.

And whatever they do. DON'T TRY TO ADD BASS quantity. It jackes up 95% of headphones out there. I like quality not low end blubber and the K-1000 has some of the best bass out there
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back