AKG K1000 and DAC Magic
Aug 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

niranhopper

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

Just for fun, i tried connecting the K1000 directly to the RCA out of the DAC Magic. I was expecting the sound to be very brittle and harsh but to my suprise, it is not harsh at all. I can hear some distortion but the sound is pretty decent and audible. I also find the sound to be very detailed, even more detailed than using a 25W amplifier between DACMagic and K1000.

Is it safe to connect the K1000 directly to the RCA out? Since i dont have any connectors, i havent tried the balanced out. Will the balanced out be any better than the RCA out?

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 6
So i bought the balanced out cables and tried them. The RCA output is better than the balanced out even though the balanced out is more powerful on paper. Any idea why my impressions are so and RCA is better matching?

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 6
How do you normally amplify the K1000? It sounds strange that it'd work but on the other hand I've had very good results with HD650 without any amplification.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 6
I am not able to get it loud cause the treble starts shining :) but i am able to get a detailed sound at low volume.

I dont have an amp at the moment and looking for one in the 'for sale' forum. Hence experimenting for the time being.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I'm surprised this works because the Dacmagic isn't an amplifier...It can actually drive the K1000?

i can even hook my phonak directly to gamma1 
wink.gif
 there is no problem connecting cans to dac directly as long the dc offset of DAC stays below 20mV which most of branded DAC have followed..

but you still have to be very careful though..since there is no volume pot, the volume increment sometimes can be too sensitive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back