AKG K 701/702 leather?
May 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #46 of 55
Denon, eek... I'm not sure what is worse dead animals or dead forest.
triportsad.gif
out of balanced. And this reflect back, big time.

May 30, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who would be up to making a Team Veggie? Then we can show off pics of the mods we may do to remove leather, and keep a roll call on the headphones that use synthetic.

I could go for a team Veggie. I'm just making a joke but I think our motto should be "Veggies for Headphones, not Speakers" since headphones use a lot less resources (materials and electricity) than speakers and associated speaker eqiupment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon, eek... I'm not sure what is worse dead animals or dead forest.
triportsad.gif
out of balanced. And this reflect back, big time.

If you use speakers or headphones technology you're harming both. Maybe you should imagine the music in your head and use your fingers to drum it out on a bit rock (just kidding).

May 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #48 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woodied headphones are weak. It's ivory cups or nothing for me.

Well, I use Snow Leopard pads.

May 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm vegan and was in the same boat when looking at headphones. A large amount of good headphones use leather since it's seen as a more premium material. So my way around it is to buy used then replace the headband with something else. Obviously it's not the most perfect thing, but when it comes down to it, nothing is. Also send a respectful letter to the manufacture of the headphone, sure it's only one letter, but make sure to let them know it cost them a sale.

That doesn't sound like a very good way around the issue to me. A cow was still slaughtered for the original piece of leather your going to remove.
confused.gif

May 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #50 of 55
True, the cow was already slaughtered, and the companies already made their profit from it. but if it's used, no money is going to the company who made it. So you're not actively or really even passively supporting it.

It's also why I made sure to mention writing a letter to the manufacturer. If they see that they are losing money because of a random element in their product, add the fact that synthetic can be much cheaper to use, it could cause a bit of change eventually. I never said it was a perfect solution. Some people wouldn't even want to touch the leather in the first place.

The same thing was an issue for me when buying a used car years ago. My car broke down so I needed one asap. When looking, there was one with small amounts of leather on the interior that was much cheaper then my other choices. So I bought the car and replaced the bits of leather. No money went to the leather companies or the car company.

It's pretty much the same case with everything in modern society. Our homes caused the death of animals, our factories, our buildings, I'm sure even a rabbit or two have even been killed by a truck carrying organic veggies to the farmers market.

The idea is to not support people who are doing the harm when it can easily be avoided. And it's also a personal choice of where people draw their lines, because none of us can be perfect at it.

May 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #51 of 55
I'm gonna kill a cow for every time the word 'vegan' is used in this thread.

May 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #52 of 55
ugh damn why use real leather? I have them and I'm kind of disgusted now.

I mean, I'm not a vegiterian. From a moral standpoint I'd love to be but I'm not, and the guilt hadn't caught up yet. But I never thought I'd use leather products. Eh, sucks for me.

May 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #54 of 55
*sniffs K601 headband* ah the smell of being higher in the food chain

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #55 of 55
The headband has the "genuine leather" logo on it. More to the point, if you don't like the headband just use something else. I'd be more concerned about the environmental impact of the manufacture and disposal of all that abs plastic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back