AKG K 701/702 leather?
May 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 55
I understand vegetarianism, personally, I am a meatatarian, so my thoughts should be considered with that in mind. If an animal is raised and slaughter for consumption, I appreciate the moral concern. At least every part of the animal is being used and nothing wasted. Leather, to me, is a very responsible product, as it is not wasted. I almost said it was environmentally responsible, but the tanning process does use a lot of chemicals...
either way, if you are a strict vegan or vegetarian, probably not the cans for you because as you know, someone will call you a hypocrite at some point for wearing these.

May 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm vegan and was in the same boat when looking at headphones. A large amount of good headphones use leather since it's seen as a more premium material. So my way around it is to buy used then replace the headband with something else. Obviously it's not the most perfect thing, but when it comes down to it, nothing is. Also send a respectful letter to the manufacture of the headphone, sure it's only one letter, but make sure to let them know it cost them a sale.

Probably easier just buy headphone doesn't have any leather.

May 28, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably easier just buy headphone doesn't have any leather.

Not if your favorite headphone uses a leather product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you've bought used, what's the use in replacing the headband?

If you buy used you are not adding to the leather consumption in the world like when you buy new. As a vegan you probably wouldn't want be associated (I mean to yourself, not others) with animal products in any way. So you'd replace the headband. Makes sense to me.

May 28, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you've bought used, what's the use in replacing the headband?

Because it's still the skin of an animal. Just like how eating someone's left over hamburger would be against the vegetarian viewpoint. Sure you're not actively supporting the use of animal byproducts, but that doesn't change what it is.

Honestly though, this conversation could go around in circles all day long trying to say what's more or less harmful in the long run.

May 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly though, this conversation could go around in circles all day long trying to say what's more or less harmful in the long run.

Fair point. How about we just leave it at: if you are a vegetarian and do some sort of aftermarket mod to your headphones to get rid of leather, post awesome pictures!

May 28, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think one can always find an alternative if one is willing to allow for some trade off (not necessarily just bad trade off).

Yep. The nice thing is that many vegetarians and vegans I've met aren't extremists. The philosophy seems to be do what you need to do to minimize your consumption, but ultimately you have to be happy as well and sometimes this just requires you to occasionally use an animal product.

I'm not sure why I'm making such noise in this thread anyway...

May 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 55
Buy a Grado. If you end up getting the higher end, I'll swap my leatherette MS-1 headband for your lambskin one. On top of that, I'll pay you some cash as well.

Deal?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #26 of 55
I love being an existentialist/nihilist (I'm not sure which to classify myself as, I act like an existentialist but I believe that nihilism is correct), I don't feel badly about eating meat/buying leather unless I think too much about the animal. I could never kill anything myself, but I'm fine with letting others do it.
biggrin.gif

For those of you who can't help but feel for the animals when you think about meat/leather, that must suck. Leather and meat are so awesome.
frown.gif

May 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #27 of 55
I don't think this thread should turn into vegetarian vs. non-vegetarian. OP simply wanted to know if the headband of K701 were genuine leather or not.

May 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #28 of 55
The AKG K601 and K701/2 have genuine leather headbands. A visit to AKG START could have answered the OP's question and avoided this whole mess. As for the whole cow skin and human skin thing, I truly hope that was not a direct (and quite racist) attack on me for being German. If I have misunderstood you, I apologise wholeheartedly in advance.

My point was simply that I am really getting tired of vegans always trying to position themselves as more morally evolved than animal-consumers are. They always like to point out how much they deprive themselves of products just because they believe the production of such a product is morally wrong. Fair enough, but I fail to see the difference in consuming a living plant, because, to me, a plant is far more useful to the good and well-being of the planet than a cow. Things die for others to consume, look at the natural animal world for evidence of this.

I'm done, sorry if I offended anybody.

May 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the whole cow skin and human skin thing, I truly hope that was not a direct (and quite racist) attack on me for being German. If I have misunderstood you, I apologise wholeheartedly in advance.

It never even occurred to me you are German. I suppose could I guessed from your username but I wasn't thinking that deeply as usernames do not always have any correlation to anything obvious. Really, I was just being argumentative to make a point.

My point was, as humans we choose to reject human products for things like headbands based on our moral code. If somebody wants no animal products in their headphonphone that's fine as well. That's their moral code. I don't think anybody stated it was somehow a superior moral code in comparison to people who eat meat and consume animal products.

May 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It never even occurred to me you are German. I suppose could I guessed from your username but I wasn't thinking that deeply as usernames do not always have any correlation to anything obvious. Really, I was just being argumentative to make a point.

My point was, as humans we choose to reject human products for things like headbands based on our moral code. If somebody wants no animal products in their headphonphone that's fine as well. That's their moral code. I don't think anybody stated it was somehow a superior moral code in comparison to people who eat meat and consume animal products.

No I just thought that the moral code was assumed. If they are doing it for moral reasons, why do they feel the need to advertise the good they're doing? Kind of like hybrid drivers I guess. Smug everywhere! LOL Anyway, sorry for jumping to conclusions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back