AKG K 701/702 leather?
May 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #31 of 55
I'm sure the OP only brought up being vegetarian because he was explaining why he doesn't want a leather headband. I doubt he was trying to trying to seem morally superior. He probably wanted to get it out of the way so people wouldn't ask why he's asking the question.

Also I'm the only person in the thread who mentioned being vegan anyway, and it was just to let the OP know he's not the first to come across this issue while headphone shopping. I actually thought of making a thread like this when I first started coming to the site.

Head-Fi is the most newcomer friendly site I've ever been to, hopefully we didn't scare someone away, group hug?

May 29, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not the same thing at all. Sorry, I just fail to see the moral comparison between killing a human and killing an animal . Both may be wrong, but to draw parallels there I feel like is not really possible. Again, I'm a veggie. Have been for years, and I deeply understand the moral implications of how meat and animal by-products are harvested..But if my dream phones had minimal amounts of leather, there's no way in hell I could tell myself in good faith that it would make sense to pass up years of superb listening enjoyment just because of one of its manufacturing materials.

Or you could circumvent all of this and just buy used.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the intention was not to compare killing humans to killing animals, but to point out that if you are seriously, strongly opposed to a practice, you don't contribute to it, no matter how small the contribution.

For example, I hope someday we have world peace. I think it starts with inner peace, and I try to practice that. Will it matter to the world whether I can get peaceful? Very, very, very little. Does that mean I say "the heck with it"? Absolutely not.

That said, I think it is also a morally consistent position to say that things come in degrees. I'm not criticizing your position, but explaining mine.

-Mike

May 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe we can ask AKG for vegan K-703. I don't like dead animal on my head too, at last it doesn't smell like a meat.

I don't even understand the need for leather in products like modern headphones. Pleather has come a long way. I was surprised (and happy) to learn the Denons use pleather as they are my favorite headphones. Even in some of the newer cars I'm surprised when I find out a material that looks/feels like leather is actually a synthetic.

Go down to a furniture store sometime and take a look at the new microfiber stuff. It's incredible.

Artificial leather is really good now and I think fewer people are seeing genuine leather as indicator of "luxury." Artificial leather also has a more consistent quality than real leather so many companies are using it for that reason since it can be more cost effective.

Maybe in the future veggie/vegan headphone lovers won't have to worry about this.

May 29, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #35 of 55
That's awesome about the Denons, I was thinking of getting some. I feel bad for listening to my Grados while the wife is trying to sleep.

Anyone know of other companies that use synthetic?

May 29, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know of other companies that use synthetic?

I don't know about stock Beyers but their Manufactur service allows you to chose between leather and leatherette for the headband. I'm not sure what the DT880 case is made of. It's a pretty thin material though so I wouldn't be surprised if it's fake leather.

I think even the less expensive Stax (4040 and below) use fake leather.

I imagine there are far more headphones not using leather than ones that do use leather. So finding a closed headphone to save your marriage (just kidding) is probably fairly easy.

May 29, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Etiopian sheepskin on my Edition 9 cushions.

Well, isn't that special.

church_lady.jpg

May 29, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about stock Beyers but their Manufactur service allows you to chose between leather and leatherette for the headband. I'm not sure what the DT880 case is made of. It's a pretty thin material though so I wouldn't be surprised if it's fake leather.

I think even the less expensive Stax (4040 and below) use fake leather.

I imagine there are far more headphones not using leather than ones that do use leather. So finding a closed headphone to save your marriage (just kidding) is probably fairly easy.

Beyer is 100% fake unless you specifically get leather parts. The case is pleather.

This is for the 2005 editions. I have no idea what the older models use.

May 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, never thought about this. Any one know what kind of leather the K601s have?

According to AKG's site it's "Genuine Leather" and I'm inclined to believe it since the K702 headband is real leather.

You also have to be careful of marketing terms. In a D7000 thread somebody pointed out "Soft Leather" sometimes means pleather.

May 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #42 of 55
Who would be up to making a Team Veggie? Then we can show off pics of the mods we may do to remove leather, and keep a roll call on the headphones that use synthetic.

May 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

According to AKG's site it's "Genuine Leather" and I'm inclined to believe it since the K702 headband is real leather.

You also have to be careful of marketing terms. In a D7000 thread somebody pointed out "Soft Leather" sometimes means pleather.

Yea, but what kind of real leather. Like, what animal? I'm not morally opposed to the killing of animals. Just want to reduce carbon footprint. Am not really dogmatic either way, but still.

May 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Would you buy a headphone with human leather skin for a headband or earpads?

Sure I would. Why not?

May 29, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #45 of 55
I believe the K601 is cow-derived leather which is perfect because less cows=less greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere thus reducing your carbon footprint!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back