AKG K 701/702 leather?
May 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

einherjar

New Head-Fier
I've been considering picking up a the AKG K 701/702 headphones but I was hoping someone could tell me whether the headband is genuine leather or just leatherette. I'm a vegetarian and I've avoided buying leather for years; so, if the headband is real leather, I'll probably look into the Sennheiser HD600 headphones instead. Thanks!

May 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 55
I believe they are genuine leather (or at least that is what AKG are advertising). Well, good news is that you will be still happy (or happier) with HD600
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 55
It is NOT 100% leather. Check out my photo album of the surgery I did to K701's to remove the bumps. The bumps themselves are made of a light blue foam material and the grey covering over them is most certainly pleather (it was very easy to rip and remove). The band portion itself is real leather, though. But the thing in whole is not 100% leather.

May 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 55
I'm a vegetarian, and own a pair of k702's(with Denon d7k's on order)..and while I understand your not wanting to support the death of an animal unnecessaily, I personally make an exception in the case of audio gear. Why? Mostly just in that the amount of leather used really is not that dramatic, less than a belt, for sure..(even if you still have to kill the cow regardless). Despite this, the enjoyment I receive in my phones is to me, well worth the sacrifice in that it's permanence is obviously much longer lasting than, say eating a steak for maybe a transient pleasure.

All of this of course is strictly personal, and something that you may not share at all. ..just my 0.02$
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 55
I understand not eating beef because to me, beef is disgusting, but not buying a pair of headphones because a cow got killed for it? They're gonna get killed anyway, at least it's going for a good cause! Better than in ending up in some idiot's Cadillac. Besides... what about all the plants that are sacrificing their lives so the cows can live?? Plants turn carbon dioxide into oxygen, which is more useful than a cow could ever dream to be.
Things have to get sacrificed for the sake of benefiting others. If you knew how many things had to die for your way of life, you probably wouldn't wanna live. What about the paint on the HD600's? I'm sure plenty of emo kids had to be sacrificed just for the stone washed denim print effect, which would describe why they're so "dark", sometimes the people in this world don't understand the perils of life...
tongue.gif

May 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand not eating beef because to me, beef is disgusting, but not buying a pair of headphones because a cow got killed for it?

Would you buy a headphone with human leather skin for a headband or earpads? Thousands of humans die every day because of war, starvation, disease, and and a number of other so that we "Developed-World" residents can drive our cars to work and buy diamond rings for women. I mean, those humans are dying anyway, why not use their skin for AKG headbands?

Some people are vegetarians for moral reasons, not taste reasons.

I'm a vegetarian and try to avoid animal products but in this day and age it's mostly unavoidable unless you have a ton of money or live very sparsely. Even then, as Germancub pointed out, the sort of damage done by plastics is probably much greater than the damage of taking the skin of a cow that was killed for food consumption.

Hell, synthetic leather probably kills more animals and environment then real leather.

All of the above is, of course, a rationalization to allow me to purchase headphones with leather.

As for the HD600 vs the K701, I suggest you listen to them. I purchased the HD600 because it had no animal products and eventually found I didn't care all that much for the sound. I ended up with a pair of Denon headphones which use a nice pleather material.

But I am thinking about buying a K701.

You could also buy a used K701. That way you are not adding to the leather consumption in the world.

May 28, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 55
Guys, I suggest that you all show some respect to the beliefs of the TC. If he doesn't want cows to die because of him, he has the right to stay away from real leather. What's with the "Oh, it's just a small piece of leather" nonsense?

May 28, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you buy a headphone with human leather skin for a headband or earpads? Thousands of humans die every day because of war, starvation, disease, and and a number of other so that we "Developed-World" residents can drive our cars to work and buy diamond rings for women. I mean, those humans are dying anyway, why not use their skin for AKG headbands?

This is not the same thing at all. Sorry, I just fail to see the moral comparison between killing a human and killing an animal . Both may be wrong, but to draw parallels there I feel like is not really possible. Again, I'm a veggie. Have been for years, and I deeply understand the moral implications of how meat and animal by-products are harvested..But if my dream phones had minimal amounts of leather, there's no way in hell I could tell myself in good faith that it would make sense to pass up years of superb listening enjoyment just because of one of its manufacturing materials.

Or you could circumvent all of this and just buy used.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not the same thing at all. Sorry, I just fail to see the moral comparison between killing a human and killing an animal . Both may be wrong, but to draw parallels there I feel like is not really possible. Again, I'm a veggie. Have been for years, and I deeply understand the moral implications of how meat and animal by-products are harvested..But if my dream phones had minimal amounts of leather, there's no way in hell I could tell myself in good faith that it would make sense to pass up years of superb listening enjoyment just because of one of its manufacturing materials.

Not everybody would agree with you. To some people intentional killing is killing and that's that. I mostly made my post to argue against Germancub's statement.

Anyway, I'm making the following comments not to change the mind of the OP but just as sort of discussion tangent since the OPs question was answered. I'm a vegetarian myself so I'm not advocating the consumption of animal products with what I'm saying.

The animal friendly headphone consumption argument in interesting. Let's say you find a headphone you really (the jack of all trades) and it uses a good bit of leather. But you don't want to use it so you purchase a few other headphones (animal product free) to get the various strengths of that one phone.

What's worse for animals? Having one product that uses leather or having multiple products made of petroleum products, all of which will indirectly cause harm to animals?

Beyond that, why buy headphones that need an amp? An amp uses electricity which harms the environment which in turn harms animals. It also uses natural resources.

I suppose it depends if you prioritize the environment or animals. It's a complicated thought process.

At least, in an environmental sense, headphones are better than speakers.

Vegetarians for Headphones! Speakers are Evil! Anybody want to start a Head-Fi group?

May 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 55
I'm vegan and was in the same boat when looking at headphones. A large amount of good headphones use leather since it's seen as a more premium material. So my way around it is to buy used then replace the headband with something else. Obviously it's not the most perfect thing, but when it comes down to it, nothing is. Also send a respectful letter to the manufacture of the headphone, sure it's only one letter, but make sure to let them know it cost them a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back