AKG K 601
Sep 5, 2010 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

elementskate100

New Head-Fier
Hello , i am going to buy a new par of headphones and i have been looking at the AKG K601 headphones. My headphones i have now is steelseries sibera v1... what i search for is a quite lift from my old headphones, i want better bass than steelseries and one thing i want with the new headphones is to hear footsteps in cs i need to hear atleast as good as i hear with the steelseries or better if it's possible, can i use the AKG K601 for cs or is it not made for games ?

Sorry my english is not so good

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 9
There are lots of debates on which "hi-fi" headphones are good for "competitive" gaming too, but in general the K601 is considered to be one of those. Whilst I haven't used any of the major gaming headsets, it's the best for positional audio of any headphone I have used myself. As for bass, again, I haven't heard the siberia, but the K601 isn't known for large quantities of bass. Then again, for positional audio in games, you might not want too much bass because it could cover up the important sounds.

Anyway, I have to ask if you plug your headphones straight into your soundcard or desktop speakers, which I'm guessing you do considering you use the siberia at the moment? The K601 really benefits from a dedicated amplifier to sound good, because you'll find it's not fleshed out and can sound boring without one. So instead you may want to look into the Audio-Technica AD700, which may suit more without an amplifier, and is still considered to be good for gaming. It should also be cheaper than the K601.

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 9
if you plan to use the 601 on LANs or in any environment which is not quiet, remember it is an open headphone and thus will let you hear anything around you as well. If that doesn't bother you, the K601 is more than sufficient (overkill) for gaming and i incredibly like it for vast types of music.

I own the K601 for ~2 years, have played a lot of cs / quake3 (however, I used other phones in that times) but am still playing occasionaly nowadays. So when i say they are more than sufficient, I'm telling out of personal experience.

Again: beware, they are open phones.
and again: They , imho, perform excellent with a lot of music.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
There are lots of debates on which "hi-fi" headphones are good for "competitive" gaming too, but in general the K601 is considered to be one of those. Whilst I haven't used any of the major gaming headsets, it's the best for positional audio of any headphone I have used myself. As for bass, again, I haven't heard the siberia, but the K601 isn't known for large quantities of bass. Then again, for positional audio in games, you might not want too much bass because it could cover up the important sounds.

Anyway, I have to ask if you plug your headphones straight into your soundcard or desktop speakers, which I'm guessing you do considering you use the siberia at the moment? The K601 really benefits from a dedicated amplifier to sound good, because you'll find it's not fleshed out and can sound boring without one. So instead you may want to look into the Audio-Technica AD700, which may suit more without an amplifier, and is still considered to be good for gaming. It should also be cheaper than the K601.

I have forgotten to tell some things

I want bass because siberia has none but i dont want extreamly much bass either , i listen to metal so what i want to say is that i want bass but not to much.

i have not any soundcard just the one one the motherboard but i am going to buy one with the headphones , i dont have so much to choise (not much stores here i live).I have looked at the Asus Xonar DX/XD, is it good for K 601 ?

Quote:
if you plan to use the 601 on LANs or in any environment which is not quiet, remember it is an open headphone and thus will let you hear anything around you as well. If that doesn't bother you, the K601 is more than sufficient (overkill) for gaming and i incredibly like it for vast types of music.

I own the K601 for ~2 years, have played a lot of cs / quake3 (however, I used other phones in that times) but am still playing occasionaly nowadays. So when i say they are more than sufficient, I'm telling out of personal experience.

Again: beware, they are open phones.
and again: They , imho, perform excellent with a lot of music.

Nope no lan , it can leak out sound it donesn't matter

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Nope no lan , it can leak out sound it donesn't matter

more important is, that sound will also leak in.
If you want to concentrate on gaming an can hear the birds sing outside, that may disturb you and you should know this before you buy a k601.

On the question if amping is necessary or not (this is just my opinion, based on my experience/testing, and i don't want to offend anyone who thinks different on this topic) :
A dedicated amp is not terribly needed, as many people say around here.
I played the k601 through the headphone out of an USB interface (i guess there's too not much energy spend on the head-out if you're restricted to 500mA of USB ports ..)
I played the k601 through the standard out of a Creative Audigy 2, that's a PCI-sound card, nothing special, combarabel to many others.
I played the k601 through a sansa clipv2 and a fuzev2.
I own the Compass DAC/Headamp and, of course, play the 601 regularly with it.

the 601 sounds still good using the clip (look up a picture of this device..!), one can notive little less depth and bass of the sound, but the 601 still sound amazing. through an incredibly small portable player!
The Audigy2 allready has sufficient power, my USB interface is as well totally sufficient.

as said, every thing imho

It's just that i can't see people stop even concerning a k601 when their told they'd need an amp.
It's just that's imho not true.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 9
Still I don't think he would be happy with a K601, amp or not, because they have a very flat response and the thread starter will probably miss some bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back