akg is considering to remake the k1000 but only if it gets enough love on its facebook page
Oct 17, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #61 of 80

Quote:

If only they realized where the money is coming from...

What do you mean?

Money is generated by the K518 etc. and studio equipment.

It is very rare that any top of the line product directly generates any meaningful revenue, however it can contribute indirectly as a statement product ('look what we can make, that's how great we are!')

Harmon reviving the K1000 as a statement product doesn't make sense either. ('We're too lazy to do any real engineering, so we'd rather revive a model we killed 15 years ago.')

But then again they do have the JBL Everest, so what the crap do I know.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #63 of 80

Quote:
What do you mean?

Money is generated by the K518 etc. and studio equipment.

It is very rare that any top of the line product directly generates any meaningful revenue, however it can contribute indirectly as a statement product ('look what we can make, that's how great we are!')

Harmon reviving the K1000 as a statement product doesn't make sense either. ('We're too lazy to do any real engineering, so we'd rather revive a model we killed 15 years ago.')

But then again they do have the JBL Everest, so what the &^$ do I know.

haha, yeah very true.  The K1000, even if re-engineered and repainted green, is only going to make a very small number of people happy, and even then they won't be impressed as you say above, because it's nothing new.  And impressing K518 customers would be the only point in a statement product like this.  The vast majority of people, even those who are impressed just by the aura that floats around the HD800, would probably just think "What" is that.  Especially if it was neon green.

It would still be cool if they made them again because they're so unique.  And surely they could be improved on with new technology.  Maybe if they applied some of those orthodynamic patents towards a redone K1000.  Planar earspeakers....

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #64 of 80
I think AKG is known to revive their classic products often. They have been releasing their famous C414 microphone and K240 headphones in various different forms for over 35 years. They have also re-issued their most famous C12 microphone from 1953, so reviving the 15 year old K1000 doesn't seem too much like a fantasy to me.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #65 of 80

Quote:
I think AKG is known to revive their classic products often. They have been releasing their famous C414 microphone and K240 headphones in various different forms for over 35 years. They have also re-issued their most famous C12 microphone from 1953, so reviving the 15 year old K1000 doesn't seem too much like a fantasy to me.

You might have a point there, but they seem to have retained their respect among the professionals somewhat better than among audiophiles.
Among audiophiles it hit rock bottom almost immediately after K701 was released as their new flagship.

Quote:
Planar earspeakers....

tongue_smile.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #66 of 80

Quote:

I certainly hope AKG doesn't do to the K1000 what they did to the K240.  Better discontinued than cheapened and reapainted.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #69 of 80
Well, I'm not so sure, the classic C414B-ULS and the original C 12 are still much more sought after than the modern versions, just like the K240 Sextett. Seems to me most people don't like re-issues too much, or does that mean it's better to have a vintage original than a re-issue?

By the way, does anyone know why the K240s were called Sextett? Sounded like a weird name for a pair of headphones.

Quote:
You might have a point there, but they seem to have retained their respect among the professionals somewhat better than among audiophiles.
Among audiophiles it hit rock bottom almost immediately after K701 was released as their new flagship.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #71 of 80

Anybody see where my post go, it was #61?

I think Joe might have overreacted a bit.

No, he didn't. The word you used cannot be said on broadcast TV in the US, which is the standard we use here.

Before a discussion breaks out about prudishness, keep in mind that a number of web filters will prevent access to Head-Fi if obscenity turns up. That means that people won't be able to log on here from work or school. We want Head-Fi to reach as many people as possible.

Please keep posts clean.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #72 of 80
just a little update from today:"AKG We've been monitoring the chatter lately about the K1000 headphone on Facebook and on sites like Head-Fi.org. Did you know the K1000 headphones were our flagship over 15 years ago?"

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #74 of 80

just a little update from today:"AKG We've been monitoring the chatter lately about the K1000 headphone on Facebook and on sites like Head-Fi.org. Did you know the K1000 headphones were our flagship over 15 years ago?"

Yup, and AKG has gone downhill for the past 15 years. Not a single innovative headphone in 20 years and the new models are not any good. The K-701 sounds the way artificial flavoring tastes.

AKG's best work was 20 years in the past. In fact, AKG's old stuff was so good that it still holds up today. By the way, if the "age" of a product somehow makes it unworthy, then how does McIntosh make a pile of cash reissuing amps?

Turning a so-so headphone into a ridiculous day-glo celebrity vehicle is exactly what's wrong with AKG. AKG needs to release new, innovative and good-sounding headphones. Otherwise, AKG is rapidly becoming a has-been, with nothing more to offer than cheesy celebrity crap.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #75 of 80
How could they possibly release another innovative headphone?  After 20 years of nothing but marketing they probably don't have brilliant innovators and engineers just sitting around taking paychecks and doing nothing.  They have fired the people who made all of their innovative headphones of the past.  I suppose they could rehire and retool, and reinvest and completely change course, but that seems very unlikely to me.  That decision would have to come from the top, which would mean new ownership, which isn't going to happen.  I do think AKG would like very much to remind people that they made great headphones in the past.  But that's about it I'm afraid.  I would love to see it happen though, don't get me wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back