akg / customer service is this an oxymoron?
Apr 25, 2007 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
i bought akg 701 headphones 2 months ago. did the 300 hr burn in. absolutely love the sound of these. about 3 weeks ago a little plastic part that holds the headband off the head broke. ive emailed there us customer service dept 3 times. ive called several times and gotten a busy signal and left 1 message on their phone. anyone know how to get a hold of these folks? when i had problems with my grado sr-125 i emailed them and the same day (saturday) they emailed me back and by that night they had a part in the mail. im beginning to wonder why i chose akg 701 over grado rs-2 or rs-1.
mad.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 31
Email or call the closest local distributor or the place you bought them from. My K701 cable wore out and I had to send them back, it was absolutely no trouble to reach AKG support via the store I originally bought the phones from, who contacted the regional distributor, who advised me about where and how to ship them. I haven't got my phones back yet sadly, but getting them out for repair was quite simple for me.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 31
Have you tried calling Harman International at 615-460-7551?

You may have to call a few times to get a human, but they've been very helpful when I've got them on the phone.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 31
I pulled this from the AKG USA website....

General Return Procedures for US AKG Service

SA# IS REQUIRED for AKG repair service. Please contact Hector Hernandez at (818) 920-3237 prior to sending out any repairs. Please be sure to attach the SA# on the outside of any repair you send in. This step will enable us to determine where your particular repair will need to be sent to insure that nothing gets lost.

RA# is also REQUIRED for AKG returns. Please contact John Allen at (818) 920-3276 prior to returning any AKG purchases. Please be sure to attach the RA# on the outside of any returns you send in. This step will insure that the return procedure is completed smoothly.

All AKG customer-owned products being returned for warranty service must include a copy of the customer’s bill-of-sale. Warranty approvals will not be granted if an original receipt or copy of a receipt is not enclosed.

Please enclose a note explaining the symptom or difficulties observed with the product’s performance. Also, include a contact name, the street address for return shipping and a daytime phone number should AKG need to contact you regarding your repair.

Are these the numbers you tried?

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 31
Sony is even worse. To their effort you can get a hold of them, but good luck convincing them to fix anything.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 31
thanx for the suggestions. ive tried all of them, and no response, not even an electronic reply that they recieved an email. i guess i will try calling again. but for those of you considering new headphones might want to evaluate customer service at akg and consider that grado will give you excellent customer service. any other headphone companies with great service record? which companies would you avoid due to poor customer service?

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 31
I sent them an email yesterday regarding some velour pads and they responded back last night... YMMV. hotline@akg.com was the email addr. I used. It is too bad they don't have the type of online service that Senn has in the US though.

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 31
I think the situation seems to be that AKG North America has about one person in each customer-facing position, when they could use two in some of them.

Beyer USA appears to have only one service guy, and he mails out parts himself, but this seems to be sufficient for the amount of service customers need.

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanx for the suggestions. ive tried all of them, and no response, not even an electronic reply that they recieved an email. i guess i will try calling again. but for those of you considering new headphones might want to evaluate customer service at akg and consider that grado will give you excellent customer service. any other headphone companies with great service record? which companies would you avoid due to poor customer service?

I bought mine at TTVJ, so I know I'll be taken care of if they have any problems....

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 31
Actually I know Beyer USA has both the guy (Michael - a good guy, but busy) and a female assistant.

AKG, when they were located in Tennessee was good (at least in terms of parts - didn't need them for anything else). Since they moved to California - lots of problems. Their move cost them experienced headphone people, and likely the move was to consolidate their operations so as to have a lower salary cost - and we know the most common result of such moves............

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 31
i tried emailing the address that pars left posted and see if anyone responds, keeping my fingers crossed.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I know Beyer USA has both the guy (Michael - a good guy, but busy) and a female assistant.

AKG, when they were located in Tennessee was good (at least in terms of parts - didn't need them for anything else). Since they moved to California - lots of problems. Their move cost them experienced headphone people, and likely the move was to consolidate their operations so as to have a lower salary cost - and we know the most common result of such moves............

I couldn't agree more! Losing Pat was a big mistake. I've had pads and a headband on order for over 5 friggin months! I don't know if it's Frank's fault, but the customer service went to hell after the move.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 31
Ugh, AKG service has gone down so badly.

I need to send in a K701 for repair (they butchered it up again after fixing a rattling driver), and 3-4 days later, I emailed two different guys and only one responded. I emailed him back, and now he's pulling an "afk" (Away from keyboard) like the other service guy.

I just called the one that responded to my email a day ago, and I'm waiting for a reply, and hopefully an RMA number as well.

Dang it, I need that RMA so I can get a Senn HD650!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 31
well i got a response from hotlineakg the email that Pars posted. which included a link to an email address i tried before with no success. so i emailed again and now the little plastic part on left side of headphone broke. i cant believe a $300 headphone would break in 2 months using it in my room! and now with the lack of akg customer support i am experiencing i dont know if i would have shelled this kind of money out. i am very impressed with sound of these though, i especially like the super wide soundstage and depth of these things. anyway if you are contemplating akg and dont have a grado headphone, based on my experience... get a grado, ive had excellent customer service from grado and mostly love their sound, wish they had wider soundstage and a little better comfort. maybe an rs-2 or rs-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back