AKG 702's ARE NOT FOR ME!
Mar 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #16 of 108
warning: akg k70x may not be for everyone. possible side effects may include anger, frustration, pressure on ears, pressure on head, and fatigue. consult headfi before use

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #17 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Previously I had a pair of Beyer DT 770's
Am considering maybe some DT 880/990 600 ohms or maybe some Dennon AH-D5000's if i want to break the bank lol.

I made a similar route (see profile).
I went from the K701->DT880/600 and well.. Overall I like the DT880/600 better. The K701 is a good headphone in many respects but.. I agree with what you said earlier about them, they're not as musical.

One thing.. after selling my K701 i have missed them a bit, although.. i dont know if i'd get them again. I'd honestly really like to hear Acix's setup lol
tongue.gif
, too bad he's all the way in SF (i think? cant remember.. :p)

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #18 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to cook them for at least another 850 hours.

I thought it needed 1200 hours? ppfff

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #19 of 108
I liked my K701's when I got them, but far from perfect. But there was enough good in them to persevere. After 2 SS amps, one Hybrid amp, and now my WA6SE, they are really begiining to shine. About 4 days ago I rolled some tubes and found the K701 sweetspot (almost by accident) and now I can say these are truly amazing cans. Musical, warm, deep bass, and involving... while still allowing me to hear all the detail that I have come to love with the K701's. The difference between 100hrs on my V8P and 400hrs on my tube rolled WA6se is quite huge. The moral of this is that the K701 has the potential to be world class, but it takes some patience and effort (and $$$) to find that sweet post.

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 108
Properly amp'd and with 1000 hours of burn in, you WILL become a K701/2 fanatic.

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're the best to decide whether or not they're for you.
smily_headphones1.gif
Most who turn out to really love the K702's, could appreciate them pretty much from the outset. I had little issues with mine when I just got them. Those ironed out with time. However, a fundamental appreciation was always there.

What sort of music are you listening to with them. You've told us about the gear, but not the music. You do have good gear though.
smile.gif

The D5000's are interesting to consider. Apart from lack of musicality, what aspect of the sound of the K702's didn't you like. I'm referring to tonal balance here. Are you looking for more warmth, more bass volume and impact? If so, then the Denon's may well be what you want though they take bass presentation to a whole new level. They Denons will take you on a full pendulum swing away from the K702 sound.

Have you thought of a Grado? Exciting cans those!!

Well I will try to explain about my experience with the 702's and not bore you to much, I bought them from new and expected a long burn in period, out of the box they sounded pretty pretty dry if theres want of a word, however, after about 30 hours things sounded a bit better, more smoothed out, i was using an old arcam black box dac, that in its day was cutting edge, last week i got a new Cambridge dacmagic DAC and this tightened up the sound even more, so am quite pleased i purchased this DAC, however, after approx. 150 hours the sound has become even more smoothed out, but am not enjoying the music.

What sort of music, well, it's mostly alternative rock, some electronica, punk, 80's etc etc.. but like to listen to most music apart from jazz and classical.

Well, you ask what i didn't like about the 702, thats hard to answer lol, they really don't do anything wrong, maybe a little on the bright side, perhaps, bass is just right, however they just don't cut the mustard with me, I really wanted to like these phones, I like the sounds they produce, but there imho not musical.

Thanks for your imput on the denons, maybe i'm looking for a warmer sound, certainly no more bass, more impact would be nice, will have to research more.

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #22 of 108
"Cold and analytical" is definitely not for everyone. I use my K701 for listening to new music. Only about 15-30% of my incoming music can be classify as well-recorded, that I can stand repeated listen with K701.

Everything else, I listen with my KSC75, much more fun and engaging.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #24 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenstuffs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701/2 benefits better from a tube amp, so a solid state amp wouldn't cut it. You should try the headphones with different amps before coming to a conclusion unless you believe your amp is the best there is.

Here comes Acix to tell you that you have no idea what you're hearing and to reiterate that the Phonitor is not only the best amp for the K701/702, but simply the best amp in the world bar none. Since it doesn't have tubes you therefore lack overall experience with ear interpretation and your punishment is to listen to his album ten times in a row.
k701smile.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Properly amp'd and with 1000 hours of burn in, you WILL become a K701/2 fanatic.

Like I said, hes used them for 150 plus 850 cooking time makes a 1000 hours.
darthsmile.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #26 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think after 1000 hours you can become skullcandy fanatic if you try had
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #27 of 108
My d2000 have that wow factor and all people that have listened to my gear think that denons are better than k702( in regards of sound signature alone) but I think that k702 has that organic, realistic signature which stays and can not be worn out like denons. Its pretty clear that you dont like the nature of k702 and dont think that amp is the problem. Be careful with your next pick 'cause heed pairs good with akg and pretty much nothing. My suggestion would be akg k601 which has completely different sound signature from k702 warmer, laid back, with more midbass and are unbelievable engaging with music.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here comes Acix to tell you that you have no idea what you're hearing and to reiterate that the Phonitor is not only the best amp for the K701/702, but simply the best amp in the world bar none. Since it doesn't have tubes you therefore lack overall experience with ear interpretation and your punishment is to listen to his album ten times in a row.
k701smile.gif

I was talking to OP who had a Heed Canamp, although if you say the phonitor is the best in the world then i'll take your word.
What i lack is the will to get into the game of debating qualifying traits of sounds where everyone has a different interpretation.
So from your post i have deducted that i hear worse than you and lack experience.
Hmm ok that made my day.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #29 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
warning: akg k70x may not be for everyone. possible side effects may include anger, frustration, pressure on ears, pressure on head, and fatigue. consult headfi before use

LOL!
I was about to give up on mine before trying balanced
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back