AKG 701 and Amps.
Feb 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BrucYSN

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have a question about the AKG 701 and the amps. I hope some one could help me. It is my understanding that a High impedance phone needs am amp to deliver decent voltage swing and low impedance would rely on the current to deliever proper sound. So for the cans like AKG 701 with 60 ohms, would an amp help? How?

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 12
That sounds about right, but there's always exceptions, one being the k701. I didn't even realize their impedance was that low because they're notoriously difficult to drive. In short, yes, you would absolutely benefit from amping the k701s. For how it would help, I can't really explain why, but it will allow you to reach louder volumes (cranking your music up without an amp may still be pretty quiet depending on the source). As for sound quality, it seems to make everything a bit clearer (and make you aware that bass actually exists).

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 12
My Little Dot MKIII seemed to make a difference with my 701's, of course it might just be in my head however other people have stated that the headphones do benefit. I just so happen to have my mint condition amp up for sale!!! All in all the headphones did seem to wake up a bit and sound like what I was expecting out of them after they were amped.
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 12
Why does the myth that these headphones are tough to drive continue to be posted about? The ohms are lowish and their sensitivity is pretty high. That would make for an easy to drive headphone and I'm going to make it my mission in my Head-fi life to get the truth out there. This is like the idea that anything, whether right or wrong, if talked about as fact long enough becomes "true".  

As for amps, it's reported that the Matrix M-Stage meshes well and when I had that combination I thought it did too.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 12
I think only ss and hybrid amps are recommended for the AKG.

There are a few good choices, just depends what you're looking for...

Here is mine..

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540545/review-akg-k-701-kicas-caliente-w-pictures

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 12
I run my K702s off of a solid state amp (very modded PPA) and are very satisfying to listen to.  I don't quite remember what they were like off of a low power source, but if my memory serves me well the bass is just less powerful and the treble less distinct, but that could be because of the swap in source as well.  The impedence value is relatively deceptive as they are quite difficult to drive (compared to my HD280 pros they require 3x the volume in order to achieve the same value and their impedances are relatively similar).

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Tubes sound great but you shouldn't go budget because the 70x will expose it. Budget minded should stay with ss or hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back