AirPods
Feb 7, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #526 of 709
I’ll set my audiophile snobbery aside and say that AirPods are very well-tuned. I’ve read a lot of reviews on them, and more often than not people think they sound anywhere from “very good” to “excellent.” Certainly never any worse than that, save for a few critics that think they’re okay. I’m here to say they are good and downplaying it would just be stroking my audiophile ego. That people can get this level of quality for $159 while being entirely wireless is mind-boggling. They’re not exceptional but surprisingly good.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #527 of 709
That people can get this level of quality for $159 while being entirely wireless is mind-boggling. They’re not exceptional but surprisingly good.

Absolutely agree. It is only when I have been listening with my Etymotic ER4XR for days and change to AirPods for listening to music during a run, that I get irritated over the (in comparison) dull midrange but forget all about it after a few tracks. And then the joy of getting back to the high resolution ER4XR is even higher afterwards :)

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #528 of 709
Absolutely agree. It is only when I have been listening with my Etymotic ER4XR for days and change to AirPods for listening to music during a run, that I get irritated over the (in comparison) dull midrange but forget all about it after a few tracks. And then the joy of getting back to the high resolution ER4XR is even higher afterwards :)

The high resolution of Etymotic with its piercing, highly fatiguing and grotesque treble...!! Of course in comparison, not just AirPods’ midrange, ALL earphones will seem dull to you! It’s not dullness though, just normal sound which is not creating holes in your timpani as Etymotic do...

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #529 of 709
The high resolution of Etymotic with its piercing, highly fatiguing and grotesque treble...!! Of course in comparison, not just AirPods’ midrange, ALL earphones will seem dull to you! It’s not dullness though, just normal sound which is not creating holes in your timpani as Etymotic do...

Exactly those! I do not know ANY old head-fiers in here, who do not enjoy holes in their timpani. Maximum volume ear-piercing pain is all we're after.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #531 of 709
I’ll set my audiophile snobbery aside and say that AirPods are very well-tuned. I’ve read a lot of reviews on them, and more often than not people think they sound anywhere from “very good” to “excellent.” Certainly never any worse than that, save for a few critics that think they’re okay. I’m here to say they are good and downplaying it would just be stroking my audiophile ego. That people can get this level of quality for $159 while being entirely wireless is mind-boggling. They’re not exceptional but surprisingly good.

I enjoy them quite a bit, and mine are in my ears right now. For my uses around the office, these are no-brainers.

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #534 of 709
I love the fact that I can lie on my side in bed with them in. I just wish you could double-tap to change tracks on Android like you can with IOS. Ah well. Gives me an excuse to wear my smartwatch.

Actually... You can.

Whoops. I read that wrong. My mistake. I thought you meant changing it in iOS.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #536 of 709
The more I use the Airpods the more I am impressed with them. I think Apple should produce a mark 2 version - as an I'm with balanced armatures and APtX HD and advanced gesture controls like Sony use on the 1000x model.

I would definitely consider paying considerable coin for that.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #537 of 709
Feb 10, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #538 of 709
Woah, foam mod makes a real difference in fit, isolation, and bass response. More stable with more bass presence. Though I’m not sure that the bass necessarily sounds more natural. It does change the signature a bit and requires cutouts for the sensors for the AirPods to work. Fit is very stable though.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #539 of 709
The foam fits pretty decently with some learning curve, and definitely isolates more noise and makes the AirPods almost perfectly stable. The bass presence increases but sounds a bit muddy, and the mids/treble are veiled since the foam covers the driver opening. Fitting them in the case works but is not the most reassuring.

It makes me curious if the Spigen covers would have all the benefits minus fitting in the case without the veil. I still think there’s a lot of potential here...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #540 of 709
Sound is way better without the foam covers... Too veiled and muddy. Sounds natural without them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back