AirPods
Feb 4, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #496 of 709
When you say 80%, how many dots minus from full volume do you mean? I am talking about the dots on iphone’s main system volume indication and not about Music app’s volume...

80% is 3 steps down from max. Technically that’s 13/16 which is 81%.

You can ask Siri what the volume level is at and set to a specific level. “Hey Siri, set the volume to x%.”

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #497 of 709
By the way, the sound and specifically the bass will distort if volume is too high which makes EQing AirPods too drastically a futile effort. They’re delicately balanced.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #498 of 709
EQing AirPods

How you EQ the AirPods? You mean in the Music settings of iOS? I never tried accurately, it works for iTunes and Apple Music only or for all the apps including Tidal?

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #499 of 709
How you EQ the AirPods? You mean in the Music settings of iOS? I never tried accurately, it works for iTunes and Apple Music only or for all the apps including Tidal?

Only works for iTunes/AM. Not worth the effort. Treble booster helps at lower volumes but they’re already balanced about as well as they’re going to be.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #500 of 709
80% is 3 steps down from max. Technically that’s 13/16 which is 81%.

You can ask Siri what the volume level is at and set to a specific level. “Hey Siri, set the volume to x%.”

Yes exactly!! 3 steps down from max is my preferred AirPods’ volume level as well. But it also depends on the particular music piece I am playing at the time. There are some songs that go really loud which I need to play at 4 or 5 steps down from max in order to get the same preferable volume level.

I also need to mention that i liked a lot what you wrote about being mentally focused on your audio when listening via AirPods in noisy environments. You’re absolutely right! I’ve also been feeling the same and it is the same for all open headphones. It’s a different approach, more realistic and more combined with your environment instead of closing you in a sealed chamber. Music comes from an outside source in this case, not from your head!

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #501 of 709
By the way, the sound and specifically the bass will distort if volume is too high which makes EQing AirPods too drastically a futile effort. They’re delicately balanced.

To tell you the truth I never noticed any distortion on AirPods, especially in the low frequency region, at even 1 or 2 steps down from max! Not something worth mentioning anyway...Does it have to do with your source or the particular songs you were listening to maybe?...

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #502 of 709
When you say 80%, how many dots minus from full volume do you mean? I am talking about the dots on iphone’s main system volume indication and not about Music app’s volume...
I find they are excellent for certain use case scenarios and not so for others. For what they do they do well. I own these and a pair of Bang & Olufsen H6 Second Gens. A perfect combo.
For the AirPods I have to turn them one to two dots from full volume in the bus or walking the streets of Seattle and taking calls, otherwise it’s too hard to hear. Inside they’re great for being able to interact with others. They’re awesome for their wireless capacity. I can walk very far from my source and it never breaks up. The music quality is good for their size, but when I want to hear the best i personally desire I use my wired B&O’s.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #503 of 709
I find AirPods always better, even after I listened to a good headphone when I back to the AirPods I don’t feel they’re so bad.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #504 of 709

This..bass impact now, but not to much. Leftover earbuds from monster isport victory. They are super sticky, and they stretch over the EarPods really good. I just had to cut out the middle and the sensors. Also they fir in the case. I tried the foam it was ok, but this is better.
What kind of material is that, and are they available in white?

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #505 of 709
I don’t think is a good idea...

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #506 of 709
To tell you the truth I never noticed any distortion on AirPods, especially in the low frequency region, at even 1 or 2 steps down from max! Not something worth mentioning anyway...Does it have to do with your source or the particular songs you were listening to maybe?...

RTings found them to begin distorting at around 90dB, which is fine since you don’t want to listen to music at over 88dB especially with something so small. I definitely found they distort at 2 steps from max but that’s too loud for me anyway.

I find AirPods always better, even after I listened to a good headphone when I back to the AirPods I don’t feel they’re so bad.

Honestly I tried comparing AirPods to my other headphones and they hold their own. There are no glaring faults. I could probably keep AirPods and one other pair and be happy. The quality for wireless is incredible, I’m totally happy with AAC for this purpose.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #507 of 709
RTings found them to begin distorting at around 90dB, which is fine since you don’t want to listen to music at over 88dB especially with something so small. I definitely found they distort at 2 steps from max but that’s too loud for me anyway.

Honestly I tried comparing AirPods to my other headphones and they hold their own. There are no glaring faults. I could probably keep AirPods and one other pair and be happy. The quality for wireless is incredible, I’m totally happy with AAC for this purpose.

RTings also gives quite high rating to the Studio3 but as far as I read your posts on that thread, you finally don’t like them at all!! By the way, and while apologizing for asking something out of this thread’s theme, what’s your final opinion of the Studios? I am really thinking to buy them since I got disappointed selling the Solos due to the extreme pressure they were applying on my outer ears! There are many positive reviews of the Studios, mentioning about REALLY balanced low-mids and highs, good ANC without the dizziness effect of the extreme ANC of Sony or Bose etc. What’s your real opinion?? Why you were so negative about them?? And are they more comfortable on the ears and head than the Solos? Are they making you sweat when worn in warmer weather conditions? Thanks and sorry for asking so many questions kind of irrelevant to this thread, but still for a W1 headphone!

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #508 of 709
RTings also gives quite high rating to the Studio3 but as far as I read your posts on that thread, you finally don’t like them at all!! By the way, and while apologizing for asking something out of this thread’s theme, what’s your final opinion of the Studios? I am really thinking to buy them since I got disappointed selling the Solos due to the extreme pressure they were applying on my outer ears! There are many positive reviews of the Studios, mentioning about REALLY balanced low-mids and highs, good ANC without the dizziness effect of the extreme ANC of Sony or Bose etc. What’s your real opinion?? Why you were so negative about them?? And are they more comfortable on the ears and head than the Solos? Are they making you sweat when worn in warmer weather conditions? Thanks and sorry for asking so many questions kind of irrelevant to this thread, but still for a W1 headphone!

RTings rated it a 7.0 which is fair, and rated the Solo3 a 7.6 with better scores in nearly every area. Solo3 has impressive imaging and best-in-class harmonic distortion, both of which the Studio3 doesn’t have.

I was extremely letdown by the Studio3 because I expected them to be a bigger, better version of the Solo3 but the sound was unexceptional and imo mediocre. Low-mid bump muddies the mid-range, bass feels unbalanced, and the headphones didn’t even feel premium. ANC is good without a chamber effect so I think you’d enjoy that aspect, but the ANC does cause a white noise hiss.

I still think they’re a mediocre-sounding pair of headphones overshadowed by the Solo3. The comfort level is higher with the Studio3, but that’s really all it has going for it. Every other aspect that matters is better on the Solo3, which is the only Beats headphone that captures the “emotion” of the song in a way that’s punchy without getting overly muddy.

You should try them if you’re looking for a W1 over-ear since I doubt we’ll see a successor anytime soon. Just go into it without too many expectations. They handle sweat fine btw, not a lot of room to breathe though.

I am extremely curious to see what Beats does this year. Probably a new PowerBeats and Solo. Maybe truly wireless earbuds...

IMO the AirPods have a better sound signature than the Studio3. They’re cleaner than most ANC wireless headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #509 of 709
RTings rated it a 7.0 which is fair, and rated the Solo3 a 7.6 with better scores in nearly every area. Solo3 has impressive imaging and best-in-class harmonic distortion, both of which the Studio3 doesn’t have.

I was extremely letdown by the Studio3 because I expected them to be a bigger, better version of the Solo3 but the sound was unexceptional and imo mediocre. Low-mid bump muddies the mid-range, bass feels unbalanced, and the headphones didn’t even feel premium. ANC is good without a chamber effect so I think you’d enjoy that aspect, but the ANC does cause a white noise hiss.

I still think they’re a mediocre-sounding pair of headphones overshadowed by the Solo3. The comfort level is higher with the Studio3, but that’s really all it has going for it. Every other aspect that matters is better on the Solo3, which is the only Beats headphone that captures the “emotion” of the song in a way that’s punchy without getting overly muddy.

You should try them if you’re looking for a W1 over-ear since I doubt we’ll see a successor anytime soon. Just go into it without too many expectations. They handle sweat fine btw, not a lot of room to breathe though.

I am extremely curious to see what Beats does this year. Probably a new PowerBeats and Solo. Maybe truly wireless earbuds...

IMO the AirPods have a better sound signature than the Studio3. They’re cleaner than most ANC wireless headphones.

Do you really believe that AirPods even though so small, produce better audio than a circumaural full size headphone?? Could be, but if so, it’s quite impressive!

I don’t think Beats will ever sell true wireless buds or in ears! They are not allowed by Apple to do so...

And RTings rates Studios at 7,3 for mixed usage, which does not sound so mediocre to me, for sure higher than many well known headphones by Sennheiser, Shure etc, on which RTings have been quite strict I believe...

Thanks for your comments...

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #510 of 709
He just say that AirPods are more balanced in their field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back