AirPods
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #481 of 709
That’s why I believe that someone who is for example on iOS 10.x.x, using AirPods with his iPhone, has a completely different sound from someone who uses them on a iOS 11.2.5 device...So, “reviewing” AirPods is kind of more complicated than “reviewing” conventional/wired headphones...

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #483 of 709
Hmmmm.....how doe one check the firmware on the Airpods? Is it in the Bluetooth connection area? How does one update these?

I had perceived the units as plug and play but maybe there is more to it.

Settings - general - about. It is plug and play — they update themselves.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #484 of 709
Hmmmm.....how doe one check the firmware on the Airpods? Is it in the Bluetooth connection area? How does one update these?

I had perceived the units as plug and play but maybe there is more to it.

AirPods update automatically. They just need to be connected with the iPhone and out of their charging case. You do not need to take any extra action in order to update them. In order to check firmware version go to Settings, General, About and find AirPods at the bottom (while they are connected of course). Enter AirPods and you will see all details about them written there...

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #486 of 709
So I’ve done the foam and earskins, really prefer/recommend trying spigen if you get the chance

I just ordered 100 foam pieces for $1.88 from China... figured that at least they fit in the case. $11.99 is steep for something that needs to be constantly removed. If I have issues running I’ll definitely go the Spigen route.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #488 of 709
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #489 of 709
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #491 of 709
Can you verify if they enhance the seal and sound a little bit? I also would like it if they allow me to angle them more in line with my chin. They look extra stupid hanging straight down.

I’m kind of beating a dead horse here since I’ve mentioned that I feel the sound is improved many times on this thread, but yes, to me sound is better. It’s still very open. I wouldn’t expect much of a seal improvement unless they just happen to perfectly fill your ears. Not for mine though.

Also, for your other question, They allow for both x and y axis angle control. The coolest thing they do for looks is allowing you to put them flush on the jaw, imho. I’m sure there will be variance on how much travel each person gets with individual ear shapes...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #492 of 709
I’m kind of beating a dead horse here since I’ve mentioned that I feel the sound is improved many times on this thread, but yes, to me sound is better. It’s still very open. I wouldn’t expect much of a seal improvement unless they just happen to perfectly fill your ears. Not for mine though.

Also, for your other question, They allow for both x and y axis angle control. The coolest thing they do for looks is allowing you to put them flush on the jaw, imho. I’m sure there will be variance on how much travel each person gets with individual ear shapes...
Thanks for sharing about the sound improvements again. I agree that keeping them flush and at an angle actually makes them look cool. The straight down non flush look is terrible looking imho. I see earbuddyz 2.0 also are highly acclaimed but I’ve long appreciated spigen.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #493 of 709
1CCA4AAC-D92D-4934-93B4-89C88A553327.jpeg
73196113-17CD-4A88-9670-42E081C26834.jpeg
This..bass impact now, but not to much. Leftover earbuds from monster isport victory. They are super sticky, and they stretch over the EarPods really good. I just had to cut out the middle and the sensors. Also they fir in the case. I tried the foam it was ok, but this is better.

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #494 of 709
I’m not afraid to admit I was wrong: AirPods are amazing. Not amazing-sounding, but still pretty great for what they are. Open soundstage, good imaging, solid separation (better than I initially gave it credit for), clean mids, unexaggerated bass that reaches surprisingly low (Solo3 also struggled with 30Hz-20Hz), and a full treble.

Way better in a quiet environment. The best analogy I can give is that the lack of isolation (only 1-2dB of total isolation) makes it sound like two speakers next to your ears in that you can hear audio and all your surroundings and details can be drowned out by the environment. This may sound odd, but if you’re using AirPods in a noisy environment you have to learn to mentally focus on the sound.

75% sounds adequately full and is still loud enough to enjoy. ~80%+ fatigues me quickly so I tell Siri to set the volume to 75% when needed.

Find My AirPods features and the little touches like the charging case are also very cool.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #495 of 709
I’m not afraid to admit I was wrong: AirPods are amazing. Not amazing-sounding, but still pretty great for what they are. Open soundstage, good imaging, solid separation (better than I initially gave it credit for), clean mids, unexaggerated bass that reaches surprisingly low (Solo3 also struggled with 30Hz-20Hz), and a full treble.

Way better in a quiet environment. The best analogy I can give is that the lack of isolation (only 1-2dB of total isolation) makes it sound like two speakers next to your ears in that you can hear audio and all your surroundings and details can be drowned out by the environment. This may sound odd, but if you’re using AirPods in a noisy environment you have to learn to mentally focus on the sound.

75% sounds adequately full and is still loud enough to enjoy. ~80%+ fatigues me quickly so I tell Siri to set the volume to 75% when needed.

Find My AirPods features and the little touches like the charging case are also very cool.

When you say 80%, how many dots minus from full volume do you mean? I am talking about the dots on iphone’s main system volume indication and not about Music app’s volume...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back