Airpods pro
Nov 28, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #301 of 527
I am aware of transmitters, etc.., and pointing out the caveats of TWS like APP even it has ANC good enough to drown out noise.

My point is that a Bose QC series or Sony WHXM series that is wired or can be used wired is the best solution for wired if one is interested in inflight entertainment. They cover all the usage scenarios, so they are the most versitile for flights. There are times inflight entertainment has content I would be in the mood for. Who doesn't know you can bring your own movies?

APP transmitters are extra cost and cause sound lag in the video stream(there's extra process that goes on when converting and deconverting analog sound signal) and it's another piece one can lose or forget to bring.

The full-sized has 20+ hrs of battery life for long haul flights and if you didn't have time to bring all the entrrtainment, you simply plug in wired to the entertainment system. The full-sized shouldn't go loud like iems on the rare old aircrafts that hasn't been renovated.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #302 of 527
I can’t decide between my AirPods Pro and my Sony WF-1000XM3 as my favorite TWS so I won’t. I need both my left hand and my right hand to clap.

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #303 of 527
I have now purchased bluetooth transmitter online and will test the latency of it. The bluetooth transmitter that i purchased promised aptxHD zero lag. So we will see. It is just a very small dongle like a very small usb adapter.

To my knowledge the APP only supports SBC and AAC, so it won’t be using Aptx. If your adapter doesn’t support AAC it will default to SBC with the APP (which I suspect will cause a lag).

The APP is a lot more convenient to carry Than the bose. hence if I could get a solution to connect to the airline entertainment system I would. As mentioned above, i have purchAsed a bluetooth transmitter. We will see how it goes.

Sure I understand that. What I was saying is that given its battery life, the APP isn’t very suitable for medium to long haul flights. An the likelihood of having an entertainment system and wanting to use it is much lower on short haul flights. In my case, I am planning to use the APP on 2-3 hours flights but on these I never use an in flight entertainment system anyway (I use my iPad), and the flights on which I use an entertainment system are usually 6-14 hours flights for which the APP isn’t that suitable anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #304 of 527
There are lots of portable power banks out there in various capacities to keep a pair of APP operational on flights of varying distances.

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #305 of 527
There are lots of portable power banks out there in various capacities to keep a pair of APP operational on flights of varying distances.

It won’t make any difference, the case already stores enough power anyway.

The problem is that they can only hold 4.5 hours of run time (when new, this will drop after a year) with their own internal battery, and can’t be charged when in use. So after 4 something hours the internal battery will be depleted and the user will have to put them back in the case waiting for them go charge again -> no more earphones for that part of the flight.

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #306 of 527
Per MacRumors review, copied and pasted: A fully charged case will provide AirPods with more than 24 hours of listening time, or up to 11 hours of talk time. If you charge AirPods for 15 minutes in their case, you get up to 3 hours of listening time or over an hour of talk time.

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #307 of 527
Per MacRumors review, copied and pasted: A fully charged case will provide AirPods with more than 24 hours of listening time, or up to 11 hours of talk time. If you charge AirPods for 15 minutes in their case, you get up to 3 hours of listening time or over an hour of talk time.

Yep, as I said on a long haul (lets say 12h) flight you will be without earphones several times during the flight while waiting from them to charge in their case. Also the claim that "If you charge AirPods for 15 minutes in their case, you get up to 3 hours of listening time" is valid for the AirPods 2, not for the AirPods Pro: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT207012

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #308 of 527
Exactly why I’ll be bringing my Bose 700 on my flights next month. I do enjoy my APP for a lot of my daily commutes, but it is not always sufficient for flights.

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #309 of 527
I stand corrected, as does MacRumors, regarding a 3 hour charge in 15 minutes. APP only gets 1 hour of use after a 15 minute charge. In hindsight, APP is perhaps not the right product for one who wishes to use headphones continuously for up to 14 hours of use. Given the static nature of seated plane flight, a wired connection appears to be desirable because it is limitless — for those instances where you're on the tarmac for way too long waiting to depart in addition to lengthy travel time.

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #310 of 527
ANC is desirable on a flight wireless or not. Don’t see why wired matters at all. Typically you don’t really gain any battery life by going wired with ANC over ears.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #311 of 527
Ok here is a question.
my mom is slowly losing her hearing.
If she buys these and puts them in her ears. Then when someone wants to speak with her she hits the transparency mode button. will that work sort of like a hearing aid? while someone speaks will transparency mode use the earbuds microphone to amplify the words of the person speaking to her? And pump that into her ear? Possibly at a higher volume then normal?
if so I’m going to buy these for her. She is very very vain. She thinks hearing aids are ugly. but she likes AirPods. She has the normal wireless version.
non pro.
What say you ?

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #312 of 527
Ok here is a question.
my mom is slowly losing her hearing.
If she buys these and puts them in her ears. Then when someone wants to speak with her she hits the transparency mode button. will that work sort of like a hearing aid? while someone speaks will transparency mode use the earbuds microphone to amplify the words of the person speaking to her? And pump that into her ear? Possibly at a higher volume then normal?
if so I’m going to buy these for her. She is very very vain. She thinks hearing aids are ugly. but she likes AirPods. She has the normal wireless version.
non pro.
What say you ?
I'll take a stab at this. AFAIK the transparency mode does nothing about amplifying outside sounds. It simply lets them through, and since your ears are blocked by the tips you might actually get less sound in than if you were not wearing them. There is a mode where you can use your iPhone (and iPhone only, not Android) as a microphone. But then she be sticking her phone in people's faces to get a bit louder sound. I think this mode was developed for people at meetings where they can slide the phone across a large conference table and hear what people on the other side were mumbling. I don't know how will it works though.
Drag your Mom to an audiologist and have her try on some hearing aids. They are very small now and hearing the grandchildren is worth it! She might just change her mind.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #313 of 527
I'm relatively intrigued by the battery life... I'm currently three hours into my listening session and with ANC on, at 70% volume, my phone is telling my I've still got 55% battery left.

For those that have run them dry, does the reported battery life fall off of a cliff at some point?

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #314 of 527
Exactly why I’ll be bringing my Bose 700 on my flights next month. I do enjoy my APP for a lot of my daily commutes, but it is not always sufficient for flights.

Question on the Bose 700s: have you used them on a long flight already and how do they feel in terms of comfort? I am very sensitive to discomfort from headphones and my current Bose QC25s are the only headphones I even had which I can wear for 10+ hours without any problem. I want to replace them with something which has Bluetooth and a rechargeable battery and tried the 700s in shops, but they are heavier, have stronger clamping force, and narrower headband which I fear will all exert much more pressure on a small area of the top of my skull and give headaches after a few hours. To the point that I am thinking for long flights the older QC35s might be a better product.

Have you used previous Bose models and are you able to compare?

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #315 of 527
I'm relatively intrigued by the battery life... I'm currently three hours into my listening session and with ANC on, at 70% volume, my phone is telling my I've still got 55% battery left.

For those that have run them dry, does the reported battery life fall off of a cliff at some point?
Wow, thats impressive. I don't see sudden drop off but I have used them 3 hrs straight and run at lower volume with ANC and doubt I would be at 55%.. Currently at about an hr plus at 75% with volume at 25%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back