AirPods Max
Sep 25, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #4,891 of 5,629
Apple, seriously, give us a system wide parametric EQ because right now, my Technics EAH-AZ0W iems are blowing you away for bottom end bass. Great sounding cans but honestly, it’s embarrassing midrange iems dig deeper. I know the max is capable of more, a lot more, so get with the prorgam already.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #4,893 of 5,629
Agreed. Can’t see it happening though as a PEQ is too ‘tech’ for average Apple consumers. I honestly thought the APM were the shizz but been on holiday with my Technics IEMs and they blow the APM away for deep bass.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #4,894 of 5,629
Crossing fingers for PEQ on Apple Music, would solve all of my issues about getting a DAC

Like, I want RME ADI, just for the EQ, but what I really want is a sweet sounding dac that doesn’t focus on the clean delivery. Just musical, rhythmic delivery

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #4,896 of 5,629
If Apple were to introduce a system-wide EQ to iOS it would likely be a piggyback off the 10-band that is already built into iTunes. So not a parametric, but a standard 10-band. For most use cases, a standard 10-band is actually good enough though IMO. It would be really nice if they could do a 10-band EQ by headphone (especially BT since they are all separate and ID’d).

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #4,897 of 5,629
If Apple were to introduce a system-wide EQ to iOS it would likely be a piggyback off the 10-band that is already built into iTunes. So not a parametric, but a standard 10-band. For most use cases, a standard 10-band is actually good enough though IMO. It would be really nice if they could do a 10-band EQ by headphone (especially BT since they are all separate and ID’d).
What's interesting with iPhone 13 is that Apple is using photographic style so you can tune the color to be more vivid or warm or cool. This is different with filters as it the grass won't get too green regardless of the photographic style. I thought it would be interesting if they came up with similar things but for audio. Pair that with computational audio for added resolution.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #4,898 of 5,629
Of course, Apple is fully capable creating a better experience for audiophiles or individuals that want extra control over their audio. A 5 band PEQ or, heck, even the standard ten-band EQ would be a start. I don't see why they can't have the ten band for easy to set and forget but have a Pro version of the EQ that's at least a five-band PEQ. Considering all the audio processing they taught for the AirPod Max, it's a little sad that Apple doesn't create the standard until Apple replaces Eddy Cue with someone more for forward-thinking in the audiophile department. Don't hold your breath.

I admit I picked up a pair of the AirPod Max a while back primarily for watching movies, audiobooks, youtube, and casual music listening, and they have surpassed my standards. I bought the space gray, added silicone covers to protect the metal cups, and headband and then replaced the ear cushions with red and blue more so to identify left and right, not that it needs it, shrugs. So far as the sound, I was pretty impressed with all the technology they offer in the headphone. If I wasn't into hi-fi audio and wanted something in the Apple ecosystem that 1) Sounds excellent 2) ANC 3) Decent Battery. The biggest issue is transparency mode; it's not even close to how the AirPod Pros handle that feature.

spacegray-left-blue-right-red.jpg

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #4,900 of 5,629
I’ve been wanting to get an AirPods Max but can anyone give me an idea on how the AirPods Max stacks up to other closed backs (non-noise cancelling)? I’ve tried the Elegia, Meze Noir, ZMF Eikons and Argons MK3. Is it close to any of these?

Sep 30, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #4,901 of 5,629
I haven’t used my APM for quite a while, didn’t realise that now in the accessibility menu you can base the tone on an audiogram, and that there is - in control centre, a real time peak reading.

Nice improvements (fwiw, this is on iOS 15.1 beta just in case these are new features)

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #4,903 of 5,629
I’ve been wanting to get an AirPods Max but can anyone give me an idea on how the AirPods Max stacks up to other closed backs (non-noise cancelling)? I’ve tried the Elegia, Meze Noir, ZMF Eikons and Argons MK3. Is it close to any of these?
So I have the P9, and have tried the Celestee (which are the new Elegia, near enough). both P9 & Celestee are closed backs in the range you're talking about.

Here's the thing, if you love music, you'll love the Airpods Max. Listening to tunes out and about with them is a joy, my portable sources are Campfire Vegas, a £1300 flagship, and APM, and I am just as happy with my APM in terms of sound.

That said, if you sit down at night, with some whiskey, the P9 are on another level. Of course. The Celestee are inferior to the P9 to my ears, and closer to the APM. The Celestee offer some more resolution, and obviously a bit more grunt overall, but the APM are more comfortable. They don't occupy the same niche in the slightest though.

Anyway, that's my point. You'll use APM if scenarios when the difference in SQ between them and a Celestee isn't important. Music still sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back