AirPods Max
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #4,906 of 5,629
My friend just picked up my Air Pods Pro from Colorware in New York, he said ‘ The quality is absolutely top notch and they look like they were built this way. The finish is no nice. I am genuinely impressed at what they have achieved’.

Can’t wait for him to bring them back to the U.K. looking forward to getting the Air Pods Max next.

3EB53831-518A-48C8-95A5-900AA7DB1AB4.jpeg
F708E564-56E9-4743-A8E5-254A25471D97.jpeg

Oct 4, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #4,907 of 5,629
After much AB testing i come to the conclusion that for MOVIES (ATMOS or 5.1) Spatial Audio is much better via iPad vs AppleTV4k for quality. A big difference. So i turn off Spatial Audio on AppleTV4k when using Airpod MAX. This is a big disappointment and not sure why Reviewers have not picked up on this. Probably because they only reviewed via iOS and not TVOS.

Also for MUSIC I don’t like Spatial Audio. Vocals are not just distant but sound low resolution compressed.

Oct 4, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #4,908 of 5,629
After much AB testing i come to the conclusion that for MOVIES (ATMOS or 5.1) Spatial Audio is much better via iPad vs AppleTV4k for quality. A big difference. So i turn off Spatial Audio on AppleTV4k when using Airpod MAX. This is a big disappointment and not sure why Reviewers have not picked up on this. Probably because they only reviewed via iOS and not TVOS.

Also for MUSIC I don’t like Spatial Audio. Vocals are not just distant but sound low resolution compressed.
This post is for Airpod MAX not AV Speakers.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #4,910 of 5,629
Is there anyway to default to Normal Stereo when Airpod Max connects to AppleTV. It always turn on Spatial Audio for Videos.

I'm really surprised it doesn't default to the last set setting that it had. There may be something in the settings, or Accessibility to turn off head tracking at least.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #4,911 of 5,629
I just got my parents from Amazon they sent me used ones even though I print new ones and they gave me like $300 off so I’m kind of happy because they’re mint condition and they have six months warranty, even though I did pay for new ones initially

Sound quality for them is awesome they sounds just like AirPod pros But bigger

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #4,913 of 5,629
If someone wants to check the difference between „5.1“ and „Spatialise Stereo“ the Steven Wilson Concert Home Invasion is a good opportunity. You can find it in the Apple Music App and the 5.1 version in Amazon Prime Video. In my ears the 5.1 version sounds significantly better with the APM.

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #4,914 of 5,629
I just tried the AirPods Max on a 16 hour flight from SFO to DEL and had them almost the entire flight.

Pros
- The noise cancelation was top-notch
- Great audio
- Build quality is 10/10
Cons
- My ears got really warm and sweaty during extended sessions.The pads are this weird cloth material and get uncomfortable for me after a few hours.
- Extremely uncomfortable when you take them off and have them hanging from your neck - It's almost like they were strangling my neck.
- Very unwieldy since they don't fold up

Overall I have mixed feelings about these. I won't be returning them but they are not perfect

I should add that the battery life was excellent - they lasted almost the entire flight and I only had to top them up for a bit towards the end of my 16h flight.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #4,915 of 5,629
Received my APM today..
After a couple of hours, first thoughts and a few questions.

But before I get into that, take my impressions with a pinch of salt. I have always been a "Good audio must be played through speakers" camp.
So while I have had the privilege of owning some decent floorstanders and bookshelves (current primary setup uses Focal Aris 936) , my headphone experience has been vey limited .. with the APP being the most expensive earphones I have ever owned.

Pros:
1) Level of detail - Is amazing .. The APP now seems simply sad in comparison, While I was expecting an improvement, the quantum of improvement is very surprising. All instruments are clearly discernible and sounds/ nuances that were not even present on the APP are all there.

While my stereo setup can produce the same level of detail if listening late at night, the proximity of the APM drivers and sound isolation further enhances the overall experience.

2) Headphone accommodations tuned to your hearing - I am 40+ and my overall hearing is just about OK for my age (-20dbm) , I have a prominent dip at 4khz (-35db).
The audiogram tuning really enhanced the overall experience. Something that much more expensive equalization methods (e.g. Anthem ARC, DIRAC etc) cannot solve for.
While I understand it is an unfair comparison (room EQ vs Ear response EQ) but to get that in a $500 equivalent headphone is simply amazing

Cons:

1) Imaging - This turned out to be quite a disappointment. I understand it is probably silly to expect imaging from headphones but some of the reviews I had read had led me to believe that these will somehow manage to create a soundstage that at least mimics , if not equals traditional speakers.
To me the imaging seems marginally improved vs earphones but miles away from what I was hoping - unfair expectation I suppose - but still worth calling out

2) Comfort - Nowhere as bad as what I was afraid of - but TWSs like APP are far more comfortable.
While the major improvement in SQ does make it worth the hit - Its a very subjective thing though and I really doubt folks used to headphones will find them uncomfortable as they dont seem to be heating my ears like some headphones I have tried in the past.

Other notes:
1) Mic quality for phones seems excellent for a non boom mic headphone . significant improvement over the APP - which I think are far better than the absolute trash mics I have seen on Jabra Elites and Sony XMs

Now on to my primary question - There is a noticeable improvement in SQ on iphone/ ipad vs Mac OS (MBA m1)
I am not sure if it is because the audiogram adjustments dont carry over to the Mac or if its something else?

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #4,916 of 5,629
I just tried the AirPods Max on a 16 hour flight from SFO to DEL and had them almost the entire flight.

Pros
- The noise cancelation was top-notch
- Great audio
- Build quality is 10/10
Cons
- My ears got really warm and sweaty during extended sessions.The pads are this weird cloth material and get uncomfortable for me after a few hours.
- Extremely uncomfortable when you take them off and have them hanging from your neck - It's almost like they were strangling my neck.
- Very unwieldy since they don't fold up

Overall I have mixed feelings about these. I won't be returning them but they are not perfect

I should add that the battery life was excellent - they lasted almost the entire flight and I only had to top them up for a bit towards the end of my 16h flight.
Your ears getting sweaty defo isnt an APM problem, thats just what wearing over ear headphones do for 16 hours lol. I have tons of over ears, APM are actually by far the mos breathable/cool imo, as they use an insulating material for the pads not a conductive one, like leather.

'Then you take them off and have them hanging from your neck - It's almost like they were strangling my neck'

LMAO

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #4,917 of 5,629
Received my APM today..
After a couple of hours, first thoughts and a few questions.

But before I get into that, take my impressions with a pinch of salt. I have always been a "Good audio must be played through speakers" camp.
So while I have had the privilege of owning some decent floorstanders and bookshelves (current primary setup uses Focal Aris 936) , my headphone experience has been vey limited .. with the APP being the most expensive earphones I have ever owned.

Pros:
1) Level of detail - Is amazing .. The APP now seems simply sad in comparison, While I was expecting an improvement, the quantum of improvement is very surprising. All instruments are clearly discernible and sounds/ nuances that were not even present on the APP are all there.

While my stereo setup can produce the same level of detail if listening late at night, the proximity of the APM drivers and sound isolation further enhances the overall experience.

2) Headphone accommodations tuned to your hearing - I am 40+ and my overall hearing is just about OK for my age (-20dbm) , I have a prominent dip at 4khz (-35db).
The audiogram tuning really enhanced the overall experience. Something that much more expensive equalization methods (e.g. Anthem ARC, DIRAC etc) cannot solve for.
While I understand it is an unfair comparison (room EQ vs Ear response EQ) but to get that in a $500 equivalent headphone is simply amazing

Cons:

1) Imaging - This turned out to be quite a disappointment. I understand it is probably silly to expect imaging from headphones but some of the reviews I had read had led me to believe that these will somehow manage to create a soundstage that at least mimics , if not equals traditional speakers.
To me the imaging seems marginally improved vs earphones but miles away from what I was hoping - unfair expectation I suppose - but still worth calling out

2) Comfort - Nowhere as bad as what I was afraid of - but TWSs like APP are far more comfortable.
While the major improvement in SQ does make it worth the hit - Its a very subjective thing though and I really doubt folks used to headphones will find them uncomfortable as they dont seem to be heating my ears like some headphones I have tried in the past.

Other notes:
1) Mic quality for phones seems excellent for a non boom mic headphone . significant improvement over the APP - which I think are far better than the absolute trash mics I have seen on Jabra Elites and Sony XMs

Now on to my primary question - There is a noticeable improvement in SQ on iphone/ ipad vs Mac OS (MBA m1)
I am not sure if it is because the audiogram adjustments dont carry over to the Mac or if its something else?
The imaging that the APM provides is probably a little above average for closed-back headphones. Though there are some IEMs that can match it (though they tend to also cost a lot more than the APM). The one thing that the APM does well with imaging is separating and layering different instruments/vocals.

The APM’s earpads breath very well which is what lends them to not run so hot. Some have had issues with heat though they also seemed to be reacting negatively to the fabric of the earpads (they are a tad bit rough). I’m not one of these people thankfully.

Audiogram adjustments don’t carry over to Mac OS. If I‘m not mistaken you’d need to set up audiogram on both the iPhone and iPad separately too since it’s saved to device. I don’t know specifically about audiograms, but I know audio accommodations apply to all AirPods (so your APP and APM will share the same set of accommodations). If you’re comparing the APP with APM with accommodations, you may need to set them both up again when you switch between them.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #4,918 of 5,629
The imaging that the APM provides is probably a little above average for closed-back headphones. Though there are some IEMs that can match it (though they tend to also cost a lot more than the APM). The one thing that the APM does well with imaging is separating and layering different instruments/vocals.

The APM’s earpads breath very well which is what lends them to not run so hot. Some have had issues with heat though they also seemed to be reacting negatively to the fabric of the earpads (they are a tad bit rough). I’m not one of these people thankfully.

Audiogram adjustments don’t carry over to Mac OS. If I‘m not mistaken you’d need to set up audiogram on both the iPhone and iPad separately too since it’s saved to device. I don’t know specifically about audiograms, but I know audio accommodations apply to all AirPods (so your APP and APM will share the same set of accommodations). If you’re comparing the APP with APM with accommodations, you may need to set them both up again when you switch between them.
You are right, the audiogram data does not carry over universally as a curve copied on the APM (wish it did).. That would have a been a good-to-have

what is however not acceptable is it does not even carry over to other devices on the same account via icloud propagation..
I cannot figure out a way to use audiogram data at all on the ipad / mac

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #4,919 of 5,629
You are right, the audiogram data does not carry over universally as a curve copied on the APM (wish it did).. That would have a been a good-to-have

what is however not acceptable is it does not even carry over to other devices on the same account via icloud propagation..
I cannot figure out a way to use audiogram data at all on the ipad / mac

It would have definitely be nice for Apple to do this. Though Apple doesn't really share settings between new devices unless you restore from said device's backup. I guess they assume that you might prefer different settings for different devices. For a headphone though, they really should save settings to the headphone rather than the source device it's connected to.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #4,920 of 5,629
I managed to get a pair of these for £375 (RRP is £549 here, eBay vendor matched the Amazon sale price and also had a 20% off code running at the time). Quite impressed for what I’ll use them for. Anyway, I went and asked Mimi directly about when they’ll get the AirPods Max added to the ‘calibrated’ list and got this reply:

In order to ensure accurate test results all iPhone and Headphone pairings (AirPods, EarPods etc.) need to be analysed and characterised from the results of tests done in an AudioMetric sound booth.

We have begun this process this month but unfortunately don't have a release date as yet.

So they will be added at some point in the near future!

The audiogram thing is pretty cool - my mum has some APP’s and the audiogram thing has meant she‘s got a custom EQ that corrects for the greater hearing loss in the mid-range she has in one ear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back