AirPods Max
Oct 21, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #4,939 of 5,629
Replacement set is reminding me of how wonderful these are when they “just work” :D

In all seriousness, these are really special mobile headphones
Glad you got a working set now :)
And yes, I use them a bit more lately, and slowly warm up to them... they actually sound really good.

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,941 of 5,629
When listening to music via iphone do you prefer the normal stereo version or do you use the spatialise stereo function?
My personal preference is the spatialize stereo, but without head tracking since I'm generally not always standing still when using the AirPods. The main reasons for this is the slight boost to the upper vocals you get.

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #4,942 of 5,629
Not sure if this goes here, but I bought the conversion cable and used it on my Solo Pro’s (has H1 chip too).
They sound way better than they should for $129.00 (T J Max outlet). Unfortunately for many headphone vendors, Apple knows what they are doing and this is most likely just the beginning.
Apples X-Bowers and Wilkins engineers are DSP masters..

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #4,943 of 5,629
When listening to music via iphone do you prefer the normal stereo version or do you use the spatialise stereo function?
Normal stereo for me. Those effects are just nice for action movies, otherwise I don't need that.

Apples X-Bowers and Wilkins engineers are DSP masters..
Yes, I think they are taking on classic audio problems from their perspective, i.e. what is generally called computational audio. While I still like traditional designs best (i.e. acoustically tuned), one has to commend them on what they achieved. On the other hand I'm sure that they are not just correcting a sub-par driver via DSP, but enhancing a very good driver to sound even better. In that way DSP is OK I think: achieving more in total.

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #4,944 of 5,629
My personal preference is the spatialize stereo, but without head tracking since I'm generally not always standing still when using the AirPods. The main reasons for this is the slight boost to the upper vocals you get.
How do you separate spatialise stereo from head tracking? Can you disable head tracking and still get the toggle on/off on control centre's spatialise?

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #4,945 of 5,629
How do you separate spatialise stereo from head tracking? Can you disable head tracking and still get the toggle on/off on control centre's spatialise?
Settings > Accessibility > AirPods > [select which AirPods] > Spatial Audio Head Tracking. This can be set to off, video content only, or audio & video content. I have mine set to video content only. Then in control center you can still turn on Spatialize stereo. Everything else will function like iOS 14 after turning off head tracking.

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #4,946 of 5,629
I have switched to using the APMs wired when sitting at the computer. Original reason was to get computer sound and zero-latency voice monitoring out of my Rode NTG Videomic when using it as a USB mic. However, in my mind, they sound even better when wired to the computer. Plus, Windows Bluetooth is always a little annoying to deal with.

Oct 22, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #4,947 of 5,629
Settings > Accessibility > AirPods > [select which AirPods] > Spatial Audio Head Tracking. This can be set to off, video content only, or audio & video content. I have mine set to video content only. Then in control center you can still turn on Spatialize stereo. Everything else will function like iOS 14 after turning off head tracking.
Thanks!

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #4,948 of 5,629

Same here. I prefer the more open and airy sound of what Spatialize Stereo gives. Music sounds much more lively.

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #4,949 of 5,629
IMHO the majority of impressions like this are actually attributing the wireless signal loss to DSP when it’s really just the fact that it’s Bluetooth and not a wire

Just comparing the APM with the AKG K371BT, using Bluetooth connection on both, from my iPhone. So APM should use AAC.

While the APM sound a bit more resolving, still the sound is less coherent. The rhythm and timing is better captured on the K371BT and overall easier to listen to.

Is there any option to completely disable the DSPs of the APM, i.e. use only the integrated DAC alone?

Edit:
I tried with disabled Headphone Accommodations, and it seems to vary from song to song now. Some songs sound fairly natural while others sound heavily processed.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,950 of 5,629

Is there any option to completely disable the DSPs of the APM, i.e. use only the integrated DAC alone?

Edit:
I tried with disabled Headphone Accommodations, and it seems to vary from song to song now. Some songs sound fairly natural while others sound heavily processed.

Again, there is no evidence of any DSP « magic » when headphones accommodations and spatialisation are off other than the use of a feedback mechanism to keep the FR constant below 800hz, similarly to most other ANC headphones (from that perspective the sound would actually be less « processed » than a pair of HPs with a less stable FR).

What you’re hearing most likely is related to frequency response quite plainly, and projecting your expectations that the APM performs DSP trickery on it (which it most likely doesn’t when the settings above are off).

As far as I’m concerned HPs with a fairly undesirably uneven FR sound « unnatural » and both my APM and K371 would fall under that label to a degree - albeit less so than quite a few other HPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back