AirPods Max
Sep 19, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #4,876 of 5,629
I'm new to the apple ecosystem (less than 1 year -- I picked up an M1 MB Air, iPhone SE (2nd gen) and Airpod Pros) I must say, they surprised me.

I always thought, "ah, Apple, thats crap", but the Airpod Pros sound phenomenal for their size. Sure, there might be better IEMS that require cables and a portable setup, but Airpod Pros are just easy. Everything just works together, and for just going out for walks and such, the sound is awesome.

Apart from this latest switch, I used to have 2nd iPod Mini and iPhone 3GS. That's about as far as I traveled into the ecosystem before.

EDIT: If I didn't already have a pair of Sony 1000-XM4 that pairs with my phone and MB as easily, or if I had more Apple devices, I would kill for a pair of Airpod Max.

Sep 19, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #4,877 of 5,629
I'm new to the apple ecosystem (less than 1 year -- I picked up an M1 MB Air, iPhone SE (2nd gen) and Airpod Pros) I must say, they surprised me.

I always thought, "ah, Apple, thats crap", but the Airpod Pros sound phenomenal for their size. Sure, there might be better IEMS that require cables and a portable setup, but Airpod Pros are just easy. Everything just works together, and for just going out for walks and such, the sound is awesome.

Apart from this latest switch, I used to have 2nd iPod Mini and iPhone 3GS. That's about as far as I traveled into the ecosystem before.

EDIT: If I didn't already have a pair of Sony 1000-XM4 that pairs with my phone and MB as easily, or if I had more Apple devices, I would kill for a pair of Airpod Max.
The Airpod Pros are seriously good.

My portable setup is a pair of Campfire Vegas (£1300) and a dragonfly cobalt (£270) so a good £1600 of gear.
But when I do switch to my Airpod Pros I always enjoy them. A bright, energetic, and very open sound signature. They stand up well to any iem imo if all your doing is listening on the move.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #4,879 of 5,629
Thank you. Where can i find this option in TVOS BETA?
You'll find it in Settings->Accessibility->HomePods and click on the AirPods Max and you will see an option to Centre audio on TV which you can turn on or off.

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #4,881 of 5,629
With Airpod Max I prefer Apple Music in Lossless and so have turned off Dolby Atmos playback and Dolby Atmos downloads.
I re-downloaded the 5 Albums I had which were in Atmos. I like it better in normal stereo lossless.
My understanding from a recent Audioholics Podcast is that it can be excellent for AV Atmos Speakers if album is mastered well in Atmos, but for Airpod Max it is not.

is this what others think here?

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #4,882 of 5,629
My understanding from a recent Audioholics Podcast is that it can be excellent for AV Atmos Speakers if album is mastered well in Atmos, but for Airpod Max it is not.

is this what others think here?
Atmos is rendered for you on the AirPods Max. In iOS 15 it does head tracking for a 3D effect. Some like the way the Atmos is mastered others don’t. One thing to note is that the Atmos tracks are mastered quiet.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #4,883 of 5,629
Just updated to ios 15, but I cannot hear any difference when playing Dolby Atmos Songs with headtracking on or off. For me there is no headtracking effect when listening to a song and moving my head, it sounds the same equal if headtracking is set on or off. Do I have to do some changes in the settings? Has someone a good song example where it works fine with headtracking on or off? When using my airpods max with tvos imhear a big difference between headtracking on or off.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #4,884 of 5,629
Just updated to ios 15, but I cannot hear any difference when playing Dolby Atmos Songs with headtracking on or off. For me there is no headtracking effect when listening to a song and moving my head, it sounds the same equal if headtracking is set on or off. Do I have to do some changes in the settings? Has someone a good song example where it works fine with headtracking on or off? When using my airpods max with tvos imhear a big difference between headtracking on or off.

Accessibility settings > Airpods. At the bottom there is an option to enable or disable head tracking. Is it what you're talking about when mentioning what's bolded ?
That said in my case, with the APM, selecting "off" or "video content" failed to disable it with music, so IDK what's going on (I hate the effect with music and find it poorly convincing anyway).
Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 19.29.28.png

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #4,885 of 5,629
Yes that is that what I mean, no difference between off or audio & video content. I remember that the effect was there in ios 14. i did not really need it with music, but I want to test it.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #4,887 of 5,629
If you're using downloaded music, it will only play the version of the song that was downloaded. All Atmos songs have head tracking enabled by default. Though I kind of want to shut head tracking off for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back